Opinion How did you rate Hurn's first year as captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

..but he only got 5 disposals in the whole game.

The goal was absolute clutch though, I couldn't believe it. When players like LeCras and Hurn had failed, he stepped up.

The boys didn't get around him after that goal as much as I thought they should have, to be honest.

Don't think he's captain material, but that was a big moment. Maybe when he is settled more in a position and he has more of a consistent influence on games he might make his way into the leadership group. He is only 21

That goal was the catalyst that fired up the boys to take into the 3rd quarter where WCE dominated for at least 18 minutes but lacked the composure to finish off any good work .
The 5 disposals I was stunned to see and he was actually pushed back to defence midway through the 3rd quarter when Gov was sent fwd . So yes may need another couple of years of growth but the potential to be the next Captain is strong .

Yeo is a fantastic prospect and has the potential to be top 5 on our list but I'm not sure he's captaincy material. I think he has poise and is the kind of player who stands up when the heat is on and lifts his team, so he's a leader on the field, but a captain is more than an on field role, and I'm not certain Yeo is the same calibre leader off the field like players like Hurn, Priddis, JK, Shuey and potentially Duggan to name a few. Still a very exciting player and proven to possess on field leadership which is crucial in big games, but maybe not as a captain.

Yeo is a fantastic prospect and has the potential to be top 5 on our list but I'm not sure he's captaincy material. I think he has poise and is the kind of player who stands up when the heat is on and lifts his team, so he's a leader on the field, but a captain is more than an on field role, and I'm not certain Yeo is the same calibre leader off the field like players like Hurn, Priddis, JK, Shuey and potentially Duggan to name a few. Still a very exciting player and proven to possess on field leadership which is crucial in big games, but maybe not as a captain.

Time will tell and do appreciate what your opinion is Duggan looks a fantastic prospect , Shuey is finally maturing and could possibly be a candidate ,Priddis and Kennedy seem to old while still leaders at the club .

No we need a tough person willing to back into any contest.
Beau wa.... Oh wait :(

Maybe umm?
Patrick mcginnity?

His bump on hodge was very hodge like! But once he retires Duggan is next!!!

Not yeo! To vanilla
Shuey misses when it count (excluding gf)
Priddas is not captain
Jk misses a lot.
Gaff vanilla
Nic vanilla
Gov could be but makes mistakes.

Time will tell and do appreciate what your opinion is Duggan looks a fantastic prospect , Shuey is finally maturing and could possibly be a candidate ,Priddis and Kennedy seem to old while still leaders at the club .

Well I'm not one to judge Duggan on his leadership qualities, I can only go by what I've heard. The only time I've encountered him was before the Saints game and he was a lovely and genuine bloke. His footy ability speaks wonders, he certainly looks like a leader on field, not to mention basically everyone that's interviewed him rates his character extremely highly, and he just seems to emanate leadership. I think he'd be an ideal captain in a few years once he's settled into the team.

Shuey is definitely maturing, and I think what he's been through has really helped in that side, he can have a good laugh and be one of the lads, but he's got a very serious side, and when it comes to game day he's just about as professional as they come. I think he took his game to a new level this year, and was able to consistently produce and provide impact even in high pressure games and with a tag, which he's been previously criticised for. Maybe his GF wasn't his greatest but it certainly wasn't the worst, and while he may not be captain, I think he's a great leader for the club.

Priddis I agree with, just throwing it out there, although JK at 28 I think would still be a solid option, and he definitely provides leadership on and off the field, and I know for a fact that the team responds and lifts when he performs. He's integral to the side, and I think he could definitely be captain of the club.

Last edited:
Except for GF's

As for Hurn... his legacy as captain was probably defined by that miss. Hard to redeem now.

He never had the kicking skills Hurn does, but seem to remember Cuz having a set shot from a similar distance/angle in 06 GF... needless to say the result was different.
Yeah was thinking that hurn needs to get on the gear more often so he can be as good a captain as cousins was

Also cousins wasn't captain in '06. Wanna have a guess why?

Except for GF's

Yeah maybe except for GF's ahaha. Although to be fair, almost everyone was overawed and he did step up at the end of the second quarter with the huge goal under immense pressure, so plaudits more that, although the rest of his game was quite underwhelming :/ I think he also just needs a bit of consistency in a particular role (MIDFIELD). He's shown so much promise already and we've seen what it did for Shep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No we need a tough person willing to back into any contest.
Beau wa.... Oh wait :(

Maybe umm?
Patrick mcginnity?

His bump on hodge was very hodge like! But once he retires Duggan is next!!!

Not yeo! To vanilla
Shuey misses when it count (excluding gf)
Priddas is not captain
Jk misses a lot.
Gaff vanilla
Nic vanilla
Gov could be but makes mistakes.
Wellingham.

He could atleast be the captain of the style council at the club.

Disappointing year from a highly skilled player. His GF speech was embarrassingly poor. Hopefully Eric's return will make him less anxious as backline leader.

I give him an A. We overachieved this year thanks to superb play by our injury-depleted backline, led by Hurny. That alone speaks volumes about his leadership.

Not bagging your post - I haven't seen anything particularly unique about Yeo which suggests he'd make a good captain - but I'd love to know how you came to your conclusion about off-field leadership or otherwise? I mean unless you have some inside knowledge, how would you gauge that? Seems pretty intangible to me.

You could look at someone like Duggan and think that they seem to carry themselves pretty well but that doesn't necessarily translate to future leadership qualities (especially for someone so young). Hurn and Priddis are frequently cited by teammates as strong leaders and JK is vice-captain, so fair enough there. But it would have to be pretty speculative for younger players unless they had obvious off-field issues or a poor attitude.

Not bagging your post - I haven't seen anything particularly unique about Yeo which suggests he'd make a good captain - but I'd love to know how you came to your conclusion about off-field leadership or otherwise? I mean unless you have some inside knowledge, how would you gauge that? Seems pretty intangible to me.

You could look at someone like Duggan and think that they seem to carry themselves pretty well but that doesn't necessarily translate to future leadership qualities (especially for someone so young). Hurn and Priddis are frequently cited by teammates as strong leaders and JK is vice-captain, so fair enough there. But it would have to be pretty speculative for younger players unless they had obvious off-field issues or a poor attitude.

No it's fine, I appreciate constructive criticism. I don't have any serious inside knowledge, although when I was stating his off-field leadership, I just meant I haven't really heard much about it, and apparently he's a little arrogant, whereas I've just heard time and time again players like Hurn, Priddis and JK still show a lot of leadership off the field in terms of helping out the youngsters and the community as a whole. Not criticism of Yeo, just saying I don't know whether he possesses that sort of off-field leadership. Also, there may not be a whole lot unique about him, I was just responding to someone eagles rule who suggested him as captain. However, I have seen him standing up on multiple occasions on field when other players aren't responding, for example that goal in the GF, and it was notable in the game against Port earlier in the year and against Hawks in the QF. I think he just needs to work on his tank, as he doesn't have a big enough fitness base at this stage, but I do see him standing up when the pressure is high.

Of course, it may not translate with Duggan, but same as his interviewers rated his character extremely highly, they also all rate his leadership. He was captain of his U18 team and was highly respected, and I've just heard quite a few players at the club raving on about how he seems to emanate leadership qualities, even at such a young age. It's purely speculative of course, but I think he's a really great prospect and definitely a candidate for captaincy when it next comes around.

Ive only read the first page.

Kennedy was my choice for captain.

I think Bunga has been fantastic this year. (apart from 2 or 3 games <yes the GF>) Has continually put his body on the line and shown the young fellas how it's done.

Keep it up champ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back