How effing good is this? (2 week break)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2002
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
2 weeks off for the players and coaches! Awesome. Time for the Hardwicks and the Wilburs and the Wangers to rest their tired frames. What a huge advantage it is having a whole week more than our opponent. And one less final's battering to recover from.

Ample time for the rest of us to sit back, savour our victory and mentally recharge our batteries, ready to support like madmen again in the prelim.

Infinitely better than players, coaches and supporters all licking their wounds and trying to panelbeat their dented pride back into shape within the space of a week.

Lovin' it!!

Pred said:
2 weeks off for the players and coaches! Awesome. Time for the Hardwicks and the Wilburs and the Wangers to rest their tired frames. What a huge advantage it is having a whole week more than our opponent. And one less final's battering to recover from.

Ample time for the rest of us to sit back, savour our victory and mentally recharge our batteries, ready to support like madmen again in the prelim.

Infinitely better than players, coaches and supporters all licking their wounds and trying to panelbeat their dented pride back into shape within the space of a week.

Lovin' it!!

You should of done it last year too! :p ;)

and the year before - no time like the present however -- we can put our feet up and watch the swans and saints belt the crap out of eachother -- and no tribunal or injury concerns (like brisbane)

I have several tribunal and injury concerns.

I hope that the winning sides playing this weekend have either injuries or tribunal visits. I also hope that John Brown cops a two week suspension.

Porthos said:
I have several tribunal and injury concerns.

I hope that the winning sides playing this weekend have either injuries or tribunal visits. I also hope that John Brown cops a two week suspension.

Nah u have to beat the best...

If Jonathon Brown is suspended for two weeks etc, then all you guys will hear is, "The only reason you won was because blah blah blah..."

Just like the only reason we won the 98 GF was because Carey and the Kangas couldnt put the ball thru the two big ones in teh first half!

The fact we won more of the ball and kicked a lot straighter had nothing to do with it... :p

For Ports sake and the game itself, i hope Brown isnt suspended tonight (and he shouldnt be, what he did constitues a wrestle, nothing more). That way if you beat them on the last Saturday in September, there will be no question marks.

Besides, Brown is just one of many hurdles Brisbane have...

Actually, you don't have to beat the best. Ask North Melbourne in 1999.

In ten years, no-one would give a crap that Brown was out.

Pred said:

Lovin' it!!
Thinking about it there's numerous advantages
1. At our home ground instead of the opponents
2. Choco gets a week extra to study potential opposition - every player who MAY play in the prelim. (ie. the 22 from Sunday, plus White, Cochrane and any other emergencies) should be going to the Saints v. Swans match. There's so much you see at a match you miss on the TV that's just chasing where the ball is. Each player should be told the two players from each side they are most likely to line up on if they play and watch each for a quarter - forget the ball and the game - just watch the potential opponents to see what tricks they use before the ball reaches the area so plans on countering them can be done.
3. The niggling injuries can get time to heal up.
4. In about 50% of matches a player gets injured - ie. new injuries for us - no risk of that, but there is for the Saints/Swans
5. In about 10 - 15% of matches a player gets suspended - again we don't risk that.
6. We are fresh after the week off - I count this seperate to the niggling injuries above. If we are within 2 goals either way of the opposition at half time our fresh legs should see us run over them in the second half.

When you add all those together it's a bloody big advantage we've got. Worth at least 5 goals, even in tight finals footy. If we blow it with all the above stacked in our favour - well it'd be worse then losing prelims. coming in the hard way. That said all of the above, plus the mental fillup of winning Sunday I see us winning if not by 55 odd again, then by at least 3 or 4 goals. :D

Tyson20 said:

If Jonathon Brown is suspended for two weeks etc, then all you guys will hear is, "The only reason you won was because blah blah blah..."

Those that want to find excuses will always find them. There are asterisks next to the last 15 premierships if you listen to some people on here.

Re: Andre's post.

I don't think we change a thing. If we don't normally watch our opponents live why do it now. We should be concentrating on getting our bodies right and our mind's ready, not tryingto find every little trick our opponent has. By this stage in the year it is a waste of time. Let the scouts do the work.

The most important thing to note out of the last 8 qualifying finals, 7 of the winners qualified for the GF (Brisbane last year as the exception). Our reponsibility is to refresh but not to switch our minds off the task at hand.

Andre said:
Thinking about it there's numerous advantages
...2. Choco gets a week extra to study potential opposition -...
:eek:

Please do not scare us. :D

sog35 said:
I don't think we change a thing. If we don't normally watch our opponents live why do it now. We should be concentrating on getting our bodies right and our mind's ready, not tryingto find every little trick our opponent has. By this stage in the year it is a waste of time. Let the scouts do the work.
During the season the players are playing each week so they can't/shouldn't be distracted with games not involving themselves. The prelim. is a unique situation due to us having the week off. Definitely our first priority is remaining fresh, but the players going to watch the Saints/Swans match won't affect that. And every advantage we can grab to get one up on whoever our opponent will be should be grabbed. I want that GF berth :D

Tyson20 said:

In that case in advance can I say if we lose the GF "The only reason we lost is because Primus and Francou weren't playing blah blah blah..." :p
If we win against a Brisbane side minus Brown and Lynch then no one in their right mind can say "Oh you finished minor premiers proving you're the best side over 22 H & A Rounds and you won the flag. But J. Brown wasn't playing and Mike Sheanan could tell you he's twice the player Tredrea is and better then Carey to boot!" Won't stop Lions fans if that occurs of course :p

I want it just as much as the next man ;)

But the fact remains we have been too preoccupied with trying to beat the opposition in the past rather than going out there and making them beat us. I'd prefer to concentrate on our strengths, do our normal bit of opposition scouting and then let em have it with both barrels (Pickett and Lade)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sog35 said:
I want it just as much as the next man ;)

But the fact remains we have been too preoccupied with trying to beat the opposition in the past rather than going out there and making them beat us. I'd prefer to concentrate on our strengths, do our normal bit of opposition scouting and then let em have it with both barrels (Pickett and Lade)

That was why I was so pleased they were ready to bring White into the side if Kingsley/Monty didn't come up. It was an attacking mindset. They were picking a team to win, instead on picking one not to lose. Last year Cochrane would've been brought in without a thought.

As for Brown, his non-presence would be forgotten by me within a nanosecond of the siren going.

It is soooo sweet having the break, but..

Only one week off - then back top prep routine,
Damn right re: watching the opposition - not good, I was worried to read that Tredders was thinking of coming to Melb to watch game/s this weekend, particularly when I read that he doesn't usually do so (nowadays). The risk is players playing out the next game in their minds - not good.

BTW whats our record after mid season breaks? I believe it's been good so that is the routine to follow.

The perversity of it is that this is probably even better because of the previous dissapointments. No matter what happens now we know that if it doesn't kill us we do become stronger. GO PORT (can't shout anymore after Sunday, after our game I had to coach a B'ball final and had no voice to speak of - so typing will have ta do!!!)

Ferox said:
After thought: Is this better than sex?

What about a Premiership?
After the year I've had the premiership would turn it all around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back