Health How much do you exercise and do you watch what you eat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
I know this should probably be in the health and fitness board, but most people on that board I'm guessing are right into their fitness and stuff anyway.

I want to aim this question at the general (discussion) population. How much do you exercise, and do you actually watch what you eat? My facebook page is littered with people boasting up their workouts, how huge they are, their diets, but what is the norm out there?

Personally, I cant stand going to the gym. There is nothing motivating to me about it. I hate running for the sake of it, same goes for swimming and cycling. I used to be a gym goer back in my early twenties, getting huge and stuff, but now just cant be farked at all. But I reckon going to the gym back in the day has helped today - still carry the muscle tone and bulk, and a highish metabolism even though I havent lifted a weight for years.

I prefer to get my fitness with a ball or racket in my hand and always have. Play tennis at least 3 times a week, either playing matches, hitting with others or going against the ball machine (which actually is an awesome work-out) - and enjoy doing it too. Its never a struggle to find motivation. Back in the day it would be footy or cricket/indoor cricket. I play sport for fun as a priority over keeping fit.

Eating wise, I generally monitor what Im consuming these days. Try to back off eating too many carbs and processed stuff, particularly white pasta and bread, but I still have maccas or nandos at least once or twice a week, and a chocolate bar or icecream here and there. Drink quite a bit of coffee, and still raid the fridge when I get home from work and eat whatever is in there.

I try and go for a walk each day and only eat at breakfast, lunch & tea. That's about as far as I go.

Went for a bike ride today. I live right on the 33km linear park. I chose to buy a decent $500 bike instead of gym fees. One of my jobs is right at the beach so I either do a beach walk or a swim the 2 days a week I work there. Sometimes I play tennis or walk with my neighbour.

I was starting to eat badly this summer, creamy salads etc. because of convenience.
So on the weekend just gone I did a shop and fired up the slow cooker. I made pea and ham soup and got 15 lots to freeze. The next day I made a chicken, vegetable and pasta soup. Again got 15 serves. So now my freezer is full of pretty healthy soup. I have it with Burgen rye bread.

I have 20kgs to lose this year. I WILL DO IT because if I don't I am looking at having 2 knee operations and this scares the crap out of me

love working out when I'm in the gym but getting me there is a bit of a struggle, I'll sometimes find a reason not to go (ie I want to play golf tomorrow so I dont want to be sore, or I didnt get enough sleep last night so I wont have enough energy etc)

but when I'm in there I love really hammering a certain body part to the point of exhaustion

I have a gym/pool membership that gets used 1-3 times a week. One weights session and one or two lots of swimming is about my limit as far as losing interest goes, and I'm not aiming for any strength/fitness beyond that anyway. I have a road bike and a mountain bike, play organised social sport once a week and enjoy the odd hit of tennis, cricket (nets), golf etc. from time to time.

I watch what I eat, but not religiously. My main dietary focus is pretty much eating enough that I don't lose/gain weight and that I get enough of the good stuff to not be overcome with lethargy. I had a pub meal for dinner last night and HJs for lunch the day before (both after long periods of physical activity) but I feel fine because most of the time I eat healthily so get plenty of good nutrients otherwise. A couple of junk meals in a row and I feel like arse. I'm also not that much of a sweet tooth so would eat less chocolate, cakes etc. than most people and have made a conscious effort not to drink soft drink (which I do like) because it's s**t for you and you get conditioned to it. I'll still happily have a can of Coke and a hot dog on a Saturday morning trip to Bunnings but probably 80%+ of my meals are accompanied by just water so like a 5 year old kid it really is a treat having soft drink. I used to drink Coke every day when I was a sleep-deprived 18 year old uni student but I wouldn't do that now.

I don't exercise enough as I should and don't eat enough, healthy or otherwise. Luckily I naturally lean, and enjoy doing cardio so consider myself quick and fit, but should probably start doing more before my tickets run out and bad health catches up with me and I turn in to a lethargic stick figure that needs to eat more calories to produce more energy.

Umpire footy in the winter so thinking about either indoor soccer or mma training for the summer, both are hard to commit to though being an afternoon shift worker

I go through two phases when it comes to trying to be healthy.

Phase one is where I pretty much exercise every day and try to get fit, I also eat less and think about my daily intake. This phase generally lasts about two weeks.

Phase two is where do none of that s**t. This phase generally lasts 6-9 months.

FWIW, don't think doing nothing much besides drinking and eating in your 20's and 30's will catch up with you.

When I turned 45 about 18 months back everything caught up.

But got my s**t together and doing well now.

Just remember it doesn't happen to 'someone else'...can happen to you as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this should probably be in the health and fitness board, but most people on that board I'm guessing are right into their fitness and stuff anyway.

I want to aim this question at the general (discussion) population. How much do you exercise, and do you actually watch what you eat? My facebook page is littered with people boasting up their workouts, how huge they are, their diets, but what is the norm out there?

Personally, I cant stand going to the gym. There is nothing motivating to me about it. I hate running for the sake of it, same goes for swimming and cycling. I used to be a gym goer back in my early twenties, getting huge and stuff, but now just cant be farked at all. But I reckon going to the gym back in the day has helped today - still carry the muscle tone and bulk, and a highish metabolism even though I havent lifted a weight for years.

I prefer to get my fitness with a ball or racket in my hand and always have. Play tennis at least 3 times a week, either playing matches, hitting with others or going against the ball machine (which actually is an awesome work-out) - and enjoy doing it too. Its never a struggle to find motivation. Back in the day it would be footy or cricket/indoor cricket. I play sport for fun as a priority over keeping fit.

Eating wise, I generally monitor what Im consuming these days. Try to back off eating too many carbs and processed stuff, particularly white pasta and bread, but I still have maccas or nandos at least once or twice a week, and a chocolate bar or icecream here and there. Drink quite a bit of coffee, and still raid the fridge when I get home from work and eat whatever is in there.

Same here. Absolute morons.

Having said that, I do like the gym. But I've only ever been to a handful of classes (eg. Yoga, etc), I think it's cause I like doing my own thing and hate being told what to do and when. The one exception to this tho was a PT group we did each week at work. That was actually fun.

Right now I gym about 3 times a week. Go for a walk outside at least once a week, and will get back to swimming maybe around once a week/ fortnight.

My weakness is definitely my diet. Not enough fruit and veggies, too much chocolate and sweet stuff. But my weight is fine, so if I start stacking on weight into my 40s will address this then :D

I am in my 40s, it's hard work.

I'm lucky though I don't crave sweet things, I figure I get enough from all the fruit I eat. I get cranky if I don't have 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. I crave savoury things so I just try and make better choices like having popcorn and a few nuts.

It's so much easier to be lazy so I make sure I do a variety of exercise that I enjoy. I use my walks on the beach twice a week for mental health and I can't be cranky after bashing tennis balls around.

Any sport involving coordinating shits me...used to play tennis but there is a huge difference between ability and where you want to hit it...which leads to frustration which led to never playing again. for my own sanity.
john_mcenroe3_1296771c.jpg

Go to the gym about 4 times a week

Eat a s**t load but try to be good

Used to be a fat kid but I guess puberty sorted that as I grew in height but stayed the same weight

These days I'm around 93kg or so which may sound heavy but I'm 197 or 198cm so I'd say it's about right

I've put on about 5kg in the last year but I'd say it's mostly muscle (I'm fawwwking zeezbrah)

I am in my 40s, it's hard work.

Am assuming as much! When I hit 30, I put on around 6-7kg in what seemed an instant. Realised something had to change before I had to buy myself a whole new wardrobe. Now am only a few kgs over what I was in my 20s.

I have a physical job, walk to and from work (20 mins to and from) other than that I spend the rest of my time sitting. TV, games or internet. I also have a fast metabolism. I'm 58kgs (171cm) so I don't need to worry about what I eat.

I've found that to keep my weight steady I need to go to the gym about 3x during the week, with a long bike ride or run on the weekend, and watch what I eat. I tend to be a bit careless about dinner meals, but I only eat fruit/ raw veggies during the day. When I stray from this formula I notice my weight increase. I am just on the edge of overweight, and feel like I always have to work hard to keep at a healthy weight.

I've found that to keep my weight steady I need to go to the gym about 3x during the week, with a long bike ride or run on the weekend, and watch what I eat. I tend to be a bit careless about dinner meals, but I only eat fruit/ raw veggies during the day. When I stray from this formula I notice my weight increase. I am just on the edge of overweight, and feel like I always have to work hard to keep at a healthy weight.
Regular balanced meals will change that cycle. It will take at most 6 weeks, If you stick to it. Until you do, while you're doing this ,the cycle will get worse before it settles. If not your have a nutritional deficiency/allergy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back