List Mgmt. How Much Do You Rate Our Draftees?

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved seeing the tackles laid by all 70 odd kilos of Kade Stewart in his highlights. His size might see him pushed around at VFL level but I recall thinking the same of Miles last year and we all saw how well he went at BHH in the seniors.

Burton is a huge unknown. Can he ever run fast and hard enough to make it? What will his ability to turn or change direction be like?

At the moment he looks along way from being able to play even VFL footy so we'll see how he progresses over the summer.

Lovell looks fun. It is impossible to tell how good he is because he was playing in the second division, but he does have reasonable movement anan exceptional low centre of gravity. I think we might have a real player here.

Hardwick is so strong and broad that it makes him look about 5cm shorter. An elite mark who can slot a goal is a tantalising proposition.

Surman looks good, at least he looks like a footballer, but Stewart is not a long kick and look s fairly one sided to me.

Last edited:
Plenty of players are rated top 5 the year before and fade away the following year and slip down the draft order a lot. Burton didn't play at all so he did his ranking no harm by poor form but added the risk of injury. There is no telling how he would have been rated had he not gotten injured. He could have pushed himself to be a clear #1 pick or could have struggled and slipped to the 50's. That's the big risk when guys haven't played for a while can they re-capture confidence and form, are they really as good as they where as a bottom age player?
If a triple premier chooses them then they shouldn't be lacking confidence in themselves. Can they handle the pressure of expectation, is the main valid question?

I think Hardwick could easily play games next year, but he's behind Sicily I think just in terms of a pecking order.

I'd be a bit disappointed to see hardwick get a game before sicily, because this will mean that the hawks rate him higher than sicily.....i just wonder if they are the same type of player

Sicily is a 3rd tall. I thought hardwick was a small forward.

correct me if I'm wrong

I'd be a bit disappointed to see hardwick get a game before sicily, because this will mean that the hawks rate him higher than sicily.....i just wonder if they are the same type of player

Sicily is a 3rd tall. I thought hardwick was a small forward.

correct me if I'm wrong

Yes Hardwick is a small forward but he plays taller than his height, and is a very good overhead mark. So in that sense I think he's a marking forward and would play a similar role to Sicily.

Yes Hardwick is a small forward but he plays taller than his height, and is a very good overhead mark. So in that sense I think he's a marking forward and would play a similar role to Sicily.

I think this season we could see roughy play more mid than fwd and allow shoey and gunno to be our number one and two targets, this could allow a sicily or hardwick to play a few games during the year.

Im also excited to see lovell get a few games and hopefully see some improvement from O'Rouke

Why don't you take the opportunity to explain to us why that is?

Intuition? This is the off season.

On Burton - If I had to say why exactly?
1. 17 other clubs left him for a reason.
2. Seen so many high risk plays not come off... Very few that have.

On the other picks? Just meh.

I quite like our rookie picks though. Go figure.

I

Love our draft.
Burton will take time, but I'm happy to take the gamble as Lovell sounds like a sure thing. Burton has something about him. Confidence!

Hardwick seems like value at his pick.

Rookie draft sounds great. But those guys are always more speculative. Happy we went young and talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anyone is interested in comparing our last 10-12 Drafts, please add to or use the below:

2004: Roughead (2), Franklin (5), Lewis (7), Tom Murphy (21), Matt Little (26)

2005: Ellis (3), Dowler (6), Birchall (14), Bailey (18), Muston (22), Tuck (38),

2006: Thorp (6), Renouf (24), J Morton (33), Kennedy (40), Moss (56)

2007: Rioli (12), Whitecross (29), Stuart Dew (45)

2008: Schoenmakers (16), Shiels (34), Lisle (50), Lowden (63), Savage (75)

2009: Grimley (39), Stratton (46), Williams (57), Hooper (58), Duryea (69), Suckling (70*)

2010: Smith (19), Hallahan (38), Litherland (55), Puopolo (66)

2011: Hill (33), Kelly (38), Woodward (53), Breust (77*)

2012: O’Brien (28), Brand (66), Osborne (70**)

2013: Hartung (24), Garlett (38), Sicily (56), Ceglar (59), Langford (71*)

2014: Howe (31), Miles (49), Pittonet (50)

2015: Burton (19), Lovell (22), Hardwick (44)

*Rookie upgrades
**Re-drafted player
I clearly missed players such as Webster & Willsmore so the list is not exhaustive.

For anyone is interested in comparing our last 10-12 Drafts, please add to or use the below:

2004: Roughead (2), Franklin (5), Lewis (7), Tom Murphy (21), Matt Little (26)

2005: Ellis (3), Dowler (6), Birchall (14), Bailey (18), Muston (22), Tuck (38),

2006: Thorp (6), Renouf (24), J Morton (33), Kennedy (40), Moss (56)

2007: Rioli (12), Whitecross (29), Stuart Dew (45)

2008: Schoenmakers (16), Shiels (34), Lisle (50), Lowden (63), Savage (75)

2009: Grimley (39), Stratton (46), Williams (57), Hooper (58), Duryea (69), Suckling (70*)

2010: Smith (19), Hallahan (38), Litherland (55), Puopolo (66)

2011: Hill (33), Kelly (38), Woodward (53), Breust (77*)

2012: O’Brien (28), Brand (66), Osborne (70**)

2013: Hartung (24), Garlett (38), Sicily (56), Ceglar (59), Langford (71*)

2014: Howe (31), Miles (49), Pittonet (50)

2015: Burton (19), Lovell (22), Hardwick (44)

*Rookie upgrades
**Re-drafted player
I clearly missed players such as Webster & Willsmore so the list is not exhaustive.

Duryea 69, Poppy 66. Amazing.

Thanks for posting all that. From 2004 to 2013, we seem to be running at roughly a 50 percent success rate. Pretty impressive.

Is Litherland in trouble if he doesn't come on in leaps and bounds this year?

Thanks for posting all that. From 2004 to 2013, we seem to be running at roughly a 50 percent success rate. Pretty impressive.
I'm actually really excited about this year's crop - Rookies, too.

Ordo has some concerns about Burton & he gives good reason why (either this page or the previous) but I'm going optimistic on Burton - baselessly of course - but the fact that we picked him up gives me confidence that he's going to get passed his leg troubles. If he does, things get pretty exciting & quickly.

Lovell, I think, is almost a 'free hit'. He's quick, agile, he's tenacious, works hard & from the highlights* that I've seen, his skills are fine. I think he'll be a big-time contributor & is an inspired pick in that he'll be a genuinely good team player, maybe more so than his individual skills suggest.

Is Litherland in trouble if he doesn't come on in leaps and bounds this year?
I loved his 14 but his 15 was a bit off.

Lewis and Langers had better 14s as well......omfg!

Ls?!

There are now 4 L's so it's not good enough to claim minority initial status anymore.

I'm jumping off the H and S bandwagon

Lovell, Lithers, Lewis and Langers for a big 16!

Ellis was never bad. just couldn't get on the field. But Dowler... that's another story. we'll just leave it at that.
I disagree, there was a reason Ellis couldn't get on the park. He was a lazy entitled little s**t after the 08 GF, he thought he'd done the hard yards and the rest of his career at the Hawks was just gonna be gravy, even he'll admit to most of that.

I disagree, there was a reason Ellis couldn't get on the park. He was a lazy entitled little s**t after the 08 GF, he thought he'd done the hard yards and the rest of his career at the Hawks was just gonna be gravy, even he'll admit to most of that.

Seriously. I have never heard that before. Is that true?

If so, He still wasn't a bad footballer. just was lazy and couldn't get on the park

If so, He still wasn't a bad footballer. just was lazy and couldn't get on the park
And that was the annoying part, imo.
Seriously. I have never heard that before. Is that true?
Maybe my wording of the situation is a bit strong, but he never give himself a 110% with his body after 08 because he did not work hard enough to get himself fit due to attitude.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back