How quick are the Abletts??

Remove this Banner Ad

VoRogue

Debutant
Jun 9, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
How quick is Gary Ablett Jnr compared to the elite onballers like Judd. How quick is he ( based on pure pace and leg speed ) compared to the other small onballers? Rate your players 1 -5 ....Is Nathan Ablett slow?

How quick is Gary Ablett Jnr compared to the elite onballers like Judd. How quick is he ( based on pure pace and leg speed ) compared to the other small onballers? Rate your players 1 -5 ....Is Nathan Ablett slow?

1 being really slow or really fast?

specifics.

GAJ looks lightning quick but isn't really, he just has great acceleration.

Nathan certainly didn't look slow running out of the goal square v Brisbane. Charged down the ground.

I agree. Gablett is like David King when he played - players that look quicker than there really are. Nathan is quite the opposite. He is deceptively quick.

I agree. Gablett is like David King when he played - players that look quicker than there really are. Nathan is quite the opposite. He is deceptively quick.
Deceptively quick you think? I reckon Nathan's about as quick as a horse about to jump his last steeple at the Warrnambool Grand Annual on a heavy track.....Football Smarts yes definitely...Pace?? Plzzzzz

Deceptively quick you think? I reckon he's about as quick as a horse about to jump his last steeple at the Warrnambool Grand Annual.....Football Smarts yes definitely...Pace?? Plzzzzz

If you compare him to Judd then yeah he is slow (as would be most other players). However, Nathan is 6'4, 90kg plus and if you compare him to players his size and weight, he is not slow. He looks slower than he actually is because of his running style (long looping strides) and actually has a pretty explosive first few steps - thus deceptively quick.

Just spent an hour or so watching the Gary Ablett (senior) highlight reels on Youtube. Man, he was far quicker off the mark than the others around him. I've got a copy of Ken Piesse's 'unofficial' bio of Ablett and he talks a bit about the Ablett family's 'fast-twitch' muscles. Gary's older brother Geoff won a couple of Grand Final half-time sprints in the 1970's - can't remember if other brother Kevin had 'em in abundance, but I can say one thing for sure...

Little Gaz has the 'fast-twitchers' in spades!

If you compare him to Judd then yeah he is slow (as would be most other players). However, Nathan is 6'4, 90kg plus and if you compare him to players his size and weight, he is not slow. He looks slower than he actually is because of his running style (long looping strides) and actually has a pretty explosive first few steps - thus deceptively quick.

I was sitting in the doug wade stand and we were getting the ball out of defence from the Northern side, Nathan motored down the ground to offer a lead, his opponent didn't have a chance of catching him.

Ok then compared to Reiwoldt how quick is he? Haven't done the stats on size and weight in comparison but i think they'd be close

I was sitting in the doug wade stand and we were getting the ball out of defence from the Northern side, Nathan motored down the ground to offer a lead, his opponent didn't have a chance of catching him.
Do you think that would have something to do with the fact he actually lead and was already 5 metres ahead of his opponent by the time he offerd the lead?

Ok then compared to Reiwoldt how quick is he? Haven't done the stats on size and weight in comparison but i think they'd be close

I think they are pretty even over the first 5-10 metres, but Reiwoldt has a slightly better top speed and can sustain his top speed for longer. Nathan doesn't have the pre-seasons in him yet to be able to sustain his top speed over a hard 50 metre lead like Riewoldt and to constantly back it up.

So in big forward terms (excluding midfielders).

Riewoldt
Acceleration= 4/5
Top Speed= 4/5
Maintaining top speed = 5/5

Nablett
Acceleration = 3.75/5
Top Speed = 3.5/5
Maintaining top speed = 3/5

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jnr has amazing lateral movement which also makes him look very fast. The guy changes direction at top speed and on a dime. Makes him VERY good in traffic as he often wrong foots opponents which allows him to break free. Also very strong through the hips like his old man and keeps his feet.

In a comparison with Judd I dont think he would match up for speed. As I said above I think he looks quick for other reasons.

I would also love to know what [SIZE=-1]Jnrs peripheral vision is rated at as well, I dare say it would be very good. [/SIZE]

Jnr has amazing lateral movement which also makes him look very fast. The guy changes direction at top speed and on a dime. Makes him VERY good in traffic as he often wrong foots opponents which allows him to break free. Also very strong through the hips like his old man and keeps his feet.

In a comparison with Judd I dont think he would match up for speed. As I said above I think he looks quick for other reasons.

I would also love to know what [SIZE=-1]Jnrs peripheral vision is rated at as well, I dare say it would be very good. [/SIZE]

Couldn't have said it better.

Mate what are you doing? You have asked a question about Nathan Ablett.....

Deceptively quick you think? I reckon Nathan's about as quick as a horse about to jump his last steeple at the Warrnambool Grand Annual on a heavy track.....Football Smarts yes definitely...Pace?? Plzzzzz
The you have bagged the answers and indicated you think he's slow.....

Do you think that would have something to do with the fact he actually lead and was already 5 metres ahead of his opponent by the time he offerd the lead?
Then hammered him again......
WTF???
Lacking Consistency?
Or just being a goose?
You be the judge........

Jnr has amazing lateral movement which also makes him look very fast. The guy changes direction at top speed and on a dime. Makes him VERY good in traffic as he often wrong foots opponents which allows him to break free.
100% correct. His ability to change direction without losing speed is stunning...

I would also love to know what Jnrs peripheral vision is rated at as well, I dare say it would be very good.

Peripherally, Gaz would have to be one of the best, if not the best, in the league. Nathan's pretty handy in that area too...

I recall an interview with Bomber earlier this season in regards to Nathan's leg speed. He basically said he has an awkward gait to him which makes him look slower then he is but that he's got gears and at training guys like ...(I think it was Egan)... struggle to stay with him.

I recall an interview with Bomber earlier this season in regards to Nathan's leg speed. He basically said he has an awkward gait to him which makes him look slower then he is but that he's got gears and at training guys like ...(I think it was Egan)... struggle to stay with him.

Egan (gun that he is) would struggle to stay in touch with the current day Brownless (lardguts that he is) !!!!!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back