Oppo Camp How the hell do we beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2011
Basement of the J. Edgar Hoover Building
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory
I've probably asked this question about 5 or 6 times to myself already this week, and I tell you what, this is our hardest game since Buddy-gate.

So, anyone got any ideas? How do we stop this juggernaut in their tracks? They pantsed us twice last year, and I'd like that to change.

What are their strengths and how can we counter them?

What are their weaknesses and how can we exploit them?

Run, Run, Run and make there backline accountable. Try and keep there defense separated as much as possible. There midfield is very strong so our boys will need to break even if we are to be any chance. For the first time in years I'm quietly confident of a good showing against this mob...

Run, Run, Run and make there backline accountable. Try and keep there defense separated as much as possible. There midfield is very strong so our boys will need to break even if we are to be any chance. For the first time in years I'm quietly confident of a good showing against this mob...

Pretty fair assessment. Their backline is where they set up so much of their drive. If we can stop the run out of there we'll go a long way towards dismantling their game.

It won't be easy but it's doable.

If we are any hope we need to dominate the contested footy

With Wells out our main three midfielders will be Swallow, Ziebell and Cunnington the strongest clearance combination we have. With Ziebell stepping in for Wells we replace class with pure grunt so our 'meatgrinder' is going to have to win the clearances for us to be a chance. This also means we need Goldy to have a big game, we can't afford to have Jolly getting the majority of the taps.

Collingwood have us bested in the inside stats this season averaging 4 more contested possessions and 2 more tackles while North and Collingwood each have won 746 clearances this season. However Dane Swan being out would nullify the minor advantages they have in these stats and give North a small edge in this area. I think it's also safe to assume that if you just took the stats from the last 10 weeks you'd see North with a clearer advantage in this area.

What i noticed Carlton do was have numerous forward defenders manning Shaw, Maxwell and O'Brien and run run and run. With us though, we know that they love the 3rd man up so we have to exploit it but moving them away from our talls. One things for sure, I'm loving this guessing game that we get to play every week with our 3 prong attack. :thumbsu:

1. Belief that we can beat them if we execute our game plan
2. Break even in contested possessions and clearances
3. Play man on man - ie. don't let Maxwell, Shaw or O'Brien be a loose man in defence
4. Tag Beams or Pendlebury
5. Serious emphasis on forward pressure/tackles
6. Make the most of our chances - disposal efficiency & conversion inside 50.

If we can do all that we'll win by 30 points

Goldy needs to pull his finger out from the start against jolly or it will be over at quarter time.

Contested footy and as above we can't blaze going into our forward line.

Try and congest their forward line.
Get Atley into the middle to go head to head with pendles

They are down Swan and Ball, we are down Wells and Adams, I think it gives us a lot of inside mids with Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington and Garlett. They still have a lot of good mids but Swan and Ball are their two best inside mids, if we can put the lock on Beams and Goldy can do okay in the ruck I think we might go a lot better at the stoppages than we have previous years.

If we come out firing and make the same commitment we made prior to the Saints game that we wont be intimidated any longer then I would expect a great clash. If we let them run all over the park loose and not put pressure on them then they are going to grab us by the nuts and make us hurt because all of their outside players are still there.

Beams, Pendlebury and Sidebottom will be the keys. Curb their numbers and we are halfway home. Swallow to Beams, Cunners to Pendles and Jack to Steele would be my starting point. Without being overly confident we can run them ragged with our endurance boys in Anthony and Gibbo again to have a huge influence on the outcome.

With good delivery forward we can control their backs I think. Shaw is only just going, Maxwell and O'Brien are zone players and can be exploited with our talls, so unlike previous weeks we may see our three big blokes try to drag these guys deep. Scott may not opt to have a decoy as such, as I think they're vulnerable in the air. I'm expecting Atley will cop a tag, so McMillan if he plays will have to step up. I have a sneaky feeling JMac might get a rest and if this happens I won't be surprised to see Boomer pushing to the half back to provide the drive.

The biggest concern I have is last weeks game was massively taxing on our midfield and will we have the legs to step up having 1 less day to prepare? Hopefully Sydney bashed s**t out of the Pies last week and that may help our cause a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we believe in ourselves, and keep playing like we have for the last couple of months, there's no reason why we can't win. Pity Wells and Adams out though, but Ziebull back will be a big plus.

Bit nervous for this game. we have been smashed by the pies recently. Not the end of the world if we lose but i hope the boys put up a fight at least.

our inclose handballs need to be quick and on the mark. If we dont take the first option and second guess ourselves we'll get smashed in the the tackles. Collingwood apply immense pressure so if our handballs are to feet or loopy hospital passes they'll also smash us.

We need to look to whoever is playing on Maxwell. He'll run off his opponent so we need to go through them early to make him accountable. This will put pressure on the rest of them.

And we need to tackle. WE CAN NOT LET THEM BREAK TACKLES.

Greenwood to play a negating role on Heath Shaw.

Swallow to go with Pendelbury.

Ziebell to Beams.

Grima out severely hurts us.

Has to be Sam Wright. Lewis showed how you can expose Shaw if you're smart about it. Not only will Wright be able to curb Heath's influence he will be able to beat him going the other way with a few goals!

Has to be Sam Wright. Lewis showed how you can expose Shaw if you're smart about it. Not only will Wright be able to curb Heath's influence he will be able to beat him going the other way with a few goals!

Wright would be my choice. Has to be someone who can hurt on the scoreboard - someone like Greenwood will just get dragged away from goal. Harper as a smoky but not sure he finds enough of the footy to apply a forward tag just yet.

GBS are you okay? Dont get me wrong Im not having a crack. Like ya as a poster but since Sunday night you have been bumping old threads and then started this one as if we have no hope and have a victim mentality in not being able to overcome the Pies.

Sure 2 months ago and the last 3 years, this thread would be spot on but considering the football we have been playing and the match being at Etihad I would give us more then a fair chance of getting the points.

Like I said in the changes thread, in recent years Bon has backed the players in to win the contest when we werent ready. I was critical of that.
This year though and right now at present we can take it up to the Pies and hold our own without a doubt.

MODs, thread title should be changed to Matching up or Facing up to Collingwood.
If we play to our strengths and execute our skills well enough, Collingwood and Bucks will be thinking how the hell do we beat North.

They are down Swan and Ball, we are down Wells and Adams, I think it gives us a lot of inside mids with Swallow, Ziebell, Cunnington and Garlett. They still have a lot of good mids but Swan and Ball are their two best inside mids, if we can put the lock on Beams and Goldy can do okay in the ruck I think we might go a lot better at the stoppages than we have previous years.

If we come out firing and make the same commitment we made prior to the Saints game that we wont be intimidated any longer then I would expect a great clash. If we let them run all over the park loose and not put pressure on them then they are going to grab us by the nuts and make us hurt because all of their outside players are still there.
Forget Ball. He's been missing all year and Collingwood has won 15 games so far.

The old recipe for success.

Beat them on the inside.

Smash them on the spread.

Most teams struggle if you get both of these right in a game, Collingwoods no different.

Doing it is a different story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back