Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AFC
So today Mark Stevens has given a rolled-gold guarantee that Dangerfield is already at Geelong.

This from the bloke who gave us his assurances that Cloke was going to Carlton for five years, Travis Boak was signed at the Cattery, Alex Rance was traded to Cambodia to dig wells for orphans - or Freo - one of the two, and Bomber Thompson was all wrapped up as the next GC Suns coach.

I'm sick of this s**t ... from all of them. They're like a bunch of blind men playing darts. Guess-merchants slinging s**t around and calling it journalism or news-breaking.

So how do we fix the AFL media? It's pretty simple really.

You want your AFL media accreditation, then the AFL only allows you to use two phrases when announcing any news. No "sources say", no "The Age believes", no "3AW has learned". All banned.

You want to announce a story? You've got two options:
1. I reckon that/My best guess is that ... Travis Cloke is headed to Carlton. Let's face it, it's 99% guesswork anyway.
2. I can confirm that ... Travis Boak is headed to Geelong. And then when they're wrong, they get sued for defamation/misrepresentation/just being a dick.

Easy fixed. Do it Gilligan. It's been a while since you've done anything that actually was for the fans.

Sunday, MMM (paraphrasing):

"What's the latest on Danger Jay Z?"
"He's gone BT. Definitely. We've known that for a while."
"So he's definitely gone?"
"Well I'd be surprised if he stays at the Crows."

What a magical magician....

So today Mark Stevens has given a rolled-gold guarantee that Dangerfield is already at Geelong.

This from the bloke who gave us his assurances that Cloke was going to Carlton for five years, Travis Boak was signed at the Cattery, Alex Rance was traded to Cambodia to dig wells for orphans - or Freo - one of the two, and Bomber Thompson was all wrapped up as the next GC Suns coach.

I'm sick of this s**t ... from all of them. They're like a bunch of blind men playing darts. Guess-merchants slinging s**t around and calling it journalism or news-breaking.

You want your AFL media accreditation, then the AFL only allows you to use two phrases when announcing any news. No "sources say", no "The Age believes", no "3AW has learned". All banned.

1. I reckon that/My best guess is that ... Travis Cloke is headed to Carlton. Let's face it, it's 99% guesswork anyway.
2. I can confirm that ... Travis Boak is headed to Geelong. And then when they're wrong, they get sued for defamation/misrepresentation/just being a dick.

Easy fixed. Do it Gilligan. It's been a while since you've done anything that actually was for the fans.
I know people bag the americans for being over the top but i would take them over our media every day of the week. They report alot more facts and are not afraid to offend. I listen to the the espn first take podcast religiously and love it. Skip bayless and stephen a smith call things exactlu how they see it and only discuss facts. If they think a player is rubbish they will say it. A few days ago stephen a smith pretty much said broncos qb jay cutler should be arrested for fraud because he is stealing salary cap money. Called him a joke and a wast of space basically. Bit harsh, but it is definately refreshing to hear people actually say what they feel rather than the pr friendly vomit we are subjected too

Who does this Stevens bloke work for - turn him off. Its like people that whinge about Sam Newman, gave him away years ago. Problem fixed.

I know people bag the americans for being over the top but i would take them over our media every day of the week. They report alot more facts and are not afraid to offend. I listen to the the espn first take podcast religiously and love it. Skip bayless and stephen a smith call things exactlu how they see it and only discuss facts. If they think a player is rubbish they will say it. A few days ago stephen a smith pretty much said broncos qb jay cutler should be arrested for fraud because he is stealing salary cap money. Called him a joke and a wast of space basically. Bit harsh, but it is definately refreshing to hear people actually say what they feel rather than the pr friendly vomit we are subjected too

The powers that be want AFL footy to be a caring, sharing game. Its the members of the AFL Commission that need replacing first off.

Be glad you don't follow European football. They literally just make up bullshit with no sources whatsoever

Who does this Stevens bloke work for - turn him off. Its like people that whinge about Sam Newman, gave him away years ago. Problem fixed.

You missed the point. They're all s**t. That's why I suggested a fix for the whole ******* thing.

Please, I thank my lucky stars every day we don't have an Australian version of SAS or Skip. The same Stephen A Smith who accused Chip Kelly of being racist because he traded away a few African-American players? Skip Bayless who clearly has his favourites and non-favourites and makes zero attempt to hide that fact? The only thing that makes either of them tolerable is that I know they get paid to make big calls and quite frankly just talk absolute crap because that's what brings in the viewers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then when they're wrong, they get sued for defamation/misrepresentation/just being a dick.
There is nothing to change here. If you are defamed there is nothing to stop you taking it to court already. The fact that it doesn't happen (to my knowledge) should tell you that the bar is set a lot higher than the type of rumor mongering you're talking about.

The real problem is that the media sells a s**t product and people consume it anyway. If there was a half-decent media outlet that was able to get airtime these plonkers would shrivel up and die in a pool of their own incompetence.

Jon Ralph just stated in several articles last year as facts that Casboult was going to the Western Bulldogs and Shaun Higgins was coming to Carlton. Continuously dropped 'em in several articles and just spoke as if they were already there.

Then of course, that doesn't end up happening.

And he's doing it again this year with other players.

My question is - why don't they get pulled up for it? How can they just come into work every day, make up stories out of thin air and charge people to read it? Like do their bosses have a go at them? Do they get embarrassed? Are there any other jobs where you can walk in and not even try to do it properly and get paid handsomely for it? If so, what are these jobs and how can I find them? Are they on seek.com.au? Do I need experience?

So many questions.

Its a Victorian media problem not an AFL media problem. I don't know why but all the unprofessional buffoons seem centred in Melbourne.

I'm sick of the "Player to go to X". Stop players having "talks" with officials. I don't care if Danger goes to Geelong but really sick hearing about it.

I think you should get suspended for getting things wrong. So if Ralphy says Dangerfield will go to Geelong, then he signs at Adelaide, he gets suspended for a month and can't get an article published anywhere. How good would that be?
That would take out 90% of the 'journalists' the AFL have covering the game.

If people stopped lapping up the s**t that the media serve up, the media might up their game.

As far as Patrick Dangerfield goes, if he's going to become a Geelong player he will do so once the FA period commences. That's as boring as actual AFL news gets.

He might have already decided to go there, he might have told Geelong and/or Adelaide that he's going there, but you can pretty much guarantee he hasn't actually signed - otherwise AFL rules would have been breached and the parties involved would be in the poo.

People don't want to wait until October to find out what Dangerfield is doing, and journalists don't want to sit around then report from AFL House once FA paperwork is lodged - so we get 6 months of speculation and 'thourthes'. If some peanut says in April that Dangerfield is going to Geelong then 6 months later Dangerfield signs with Geelong then said peanut will toot his own horn and people will believe his next prediction, so he'll keep making them...

Please, I thank my lucky stars every day we don't have an Australian version of SAS or Skip. The same Stephen A Smith who accused Chip Kelly of being racist because he traded away a few African-American players? Skip Bayless who clearly has his favourites and non-favourites and makes zero attempt to hide that fact? The only thing that makes either of them tolerable is that I know they get paid to make big calls and quite frankly just talk absolute crap because that's what brings in the viewers.

image.png

Note, I do agree with you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back