If I was list manager I would?

Remove this Banner Ad

If one hits the trade table i can see 10+ clubs getting involved. What may sway them to us though, will be seeing Brown and Daw getting weekly gigs. Theyd see that and think "hello"
Love ya confidence archereleven, but I reckon our flakiness, coupled with our lack of big crowds, puts us 6-7-8-9th in line at best. Why would a young player want to come to us, from a development point of view also? A worry IMO. Anyway, not relevant as neither of Boyd, Patton or Cameron will be leaving IMO. Maybe a Tomlinson?

I don't think the list of players we have right now are good enough to take us deep into finals with the chance of ultimate success , I look at the top sides and start to wonder how important a A grade ruckman is . Could we put Goldie on the table to fill a need , could Majak and Brown cover what Goldie does ?
Drew is getting closer to the end , will Daw , Black , Brown , Tarrant , Wood be able to be our forward line in some form ? And who will be the general from that group ?

Are our players being developed at a rate that they should be ?
Where are the players on our list that put their head over the ball ?

Right now with where we find ourselves on the ladder it would be more about luck in getting the players we need through the draft , maybe it's time to be bold .

Untouchables
Swallow
Thomas
Cunnington
Thompson
Wells
Brown
Daw
Hansen
Wood
Atley
McDonald
Harvey
I've probably missed a few

Port fan here, where's brad Mackenzie at. Seems to be in one week out the next, wondering of we could pull a Ben Jacobs on you guys

Has been quite slow getting his fitness and physical development up, which is one of his weak points and exacerbated by lack of speed. Not a very physical player, but has a lot of promise. If the team was playing at close to their best most weeks we'd probably be able to carry him and benefit from his crazy kicking skills while fast tracking his development. But as it is when we play badly, as an outside player that's a bit underdeveloped he plays worse.

I knew when i started this thread i would cop a lot of negative feedback about my trading suggestion and thats ok, i still stand by it.

Its interesting everybody has similar thoughts on the type of players we should target but the opinions on how we get them is vastly different.

Key position forward - the names mentioned Cameron, Boyd, Tomlinson we are not going to get by trading picks as GWS don't want picks. Bastinac and fringe players won't get it done, so the question remains how do we do it and which players would you trade?

Outside mids - are easier to trade for but i haven't read many names that excite me. Has anyone got names of players we could target?

Is Gaff still unsigned?

Love ya confidence archereleven, but I reckon our flakiness, coupled with our lack of big crowds, puts us 6-7-8-9th in line at best. Why would a young player want to come to us, from a development point of view also? A worry IMO. Anyway, not relevant as neither of Boyd, Patton or Cameron will be leaving IMO. Maybe a Tomlinson?

Somethings gotta give at GWS. Im not so sure about the flakiness/crowd issue, a young forward should be thinking - i could be their next Carey. Also, Dal Santo signed on, and Boak was considering as well wasnt he? If they choose a big club, then they are under pressure to star from word go with the kings ransom a team is going to have to shell out.

I don't mind the premise of any of the above BowWow1978 , but I think the reality is there aren't many on your second list that many would want, or be prepared to give up too much for, ie first round pick.
Schwatta for Shagga was a massive deal back in the day, one that at the time I personally hated, but geez that turned out beneficial for both parties. Really appears to me to have to come from Cunners or JZ, but there'd be few prepared to burn down the new facilities if any of those 2 are offered. No Goldy or Daw on your lists?

No Goldy because we don't have anyone else capable of playing ruck consistently. Currie is not the answer and Daw/Brown are works in progress and miles off being able to play #1 ruck.
Daw is not on the list as I don't think we'd get anything for him at the moment and his potential upside is huge. I'd rather we take the time and train him up.

I don't think the list of players we have right now are good enough to take us deep into finals with the chance of ultimate success , I look at the top sides and start to wonder how important a A grade ruckman is . Could we put Goldie on the table to fill a need , could Majak and Brown cover what Goldie does ?
Drew is getting closer to the end , will Daw , Black , Brown , Tarrant , Wood be able to be our forward line in some form ? And who will be the general from that group ?

Right now with where we find ourselves on the ladder it would be more about luck in getting the players we need through the draft , maybe it's time to be bold .

Untouchables
Swallow
Thomas
Cunnington
Thompson
Wells
Brown
Daw
Hansen
Wood
Atley
McDonald
Harvey

Of all the above "untouchables", only Thomas, Harvey and McDonald are really untouchable. All others should be on the trade table for the appropriate deal.

Untouchables
Swallow
Thomas
Cunnington
Thompson
Wells
Brown
Daw
Hansen
Wood
Atley
McDonald
Harvey
Daw untouchable? lol. We would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder for him

It's hard to know what we need when our entire stock of X-Factor types are injured/can't get near the footy.

Wells, Nahas, Garner & Harper represents 10% of our squad yet we have not one realistically available.

It's incredible.

It's actually an unbelievable effort for us to be in the 8.

For all the commentary on the boys this year, I am yet to hear a single word uttered about our injury list in mainstream media.

I don't think we'll be uber active in trade period this year. We certainly won't be trading Thompson. We actually need another defender if anything.

Trading players like Ziebell @ 23, Swallow, Thompson & Bastinac is crazy talk.

And we won't get anything for anyone else, so there is no point. We play out this year, hopefully win a final and then go hammer and tong with a fit list next year.

The one player I'd like is Aaron Hall from GC. Don't know why but just think we could get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one player I'd like is Aaron Hall from GC. Don't know why but just think we could get him.

The fact he tore us a new a-hole in the first quarter pantsing we copped from them may have stuck in your mind Arjen. He appears to have barely tapped into his potential, considering the ability he's shown when up and about. Very quick, clever ball user and strong. He'd be a good get.

It's hard to know what we need when our entire stock of X-Factor types are injured/can't get near the footy.

Wells, Nahas, Garner & Harper represents 10% of our squad yet we have not one realistically available.

It's incredible.

For all the commentary on the boys this year, I am yet to hear a single word uttered about our injury list in mainstream media.

I don't think we'll be uber active in trade period this year. We certainly won't be trading Thompson. We actually need another defender if anything.

And we won't get anything for anyone else, so there is no point. We play out this year, hopefully win a final and then go hammer and tong with a fit list next year.

Holy **** someone's talking sense.

Except for the Aaron Hall part.

I agree with parts of this and disagree with some.

However, picks don't help us for the position we are in as we need to strike in the next 2 years or as I've mentioned previously Wells, Harvey, Petrie, Dal and others will be gone or on the way out.

Thompson is exactly the type of player GWS need.

We don't have any KPP that would create enough interest for Brisbane or Dogs to be interested. Maybe Black but i would be against trading him as i'm prepared to wait and see if he can turn his form around.

I agree we have 5 to 6 similar mids that are very similar that i'd be prepared to trade away if it helped a deficiency on our list.

And I agree on drafting for need instead of best available especially with our 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Picks might not help right away, but kids in the first 5-6 picks might, and what available established players will help more?

Assuming we chase a speedy mid-forward type ...

Let's say we wanted to deal with the Dogs. Who do they have that would help? You'd have to assume Stringer/Macrae/Bontempelli/Libba/Hrovat are off the table. Dahlhaus? What would that take? They don't need another 3rd tall type with Crameri, so that's Black and Wood out. A KPD? Thompson is the only one with any currency and I don't share your enthusiasm for trading him. They've been keen on both Brown and Daw before we drafted them. One of them plus a mid, with a swap of draft picks?

Ditto Brisbane. Could you talk them into coughing up one of their young mid/forwards? I'd reckon they'd want to emphasise keeping their young group together after last year. Even if they did, would we even want the likes of Zorko? So inconsistent. And Rich and Redden both have injury issues.

Carlton? Might go into fire sale mode and commit to a rebuild. Garlett or Yarran? No thanks.

And in terms of what we'd have to give up, you can't expect to get overs for 22-23-yo players coming off poor seasons (Black, Bastinac, Ziebell). So you have to give up either quality or potential, something that will hurt.

I dunno, I'm rambling. List management is hard.

Interesting thread.

Wouldn't like our chances of landing Frawley and getting an early pick for Thompson. Would keep Thompson anyway.

Would have a sniff around Higgins.

With four *new players - Dal Santo, McDonald, Nahas and *Greenwood all seeming to be best 22 surely that would allow us some movement. Add in Brown who hasn't looked out of his depth.

Would then think-

Currie
Warren
McMahon
Anthony
Curran
Tarrant
Delaney

Should be first cabs of the rank for the dreaded de-list. Luckily for some we'll probably only use four picks, so would think the last three would be safe for now but would replace those gone a year later.

So then the likes of Adams and Bastinac should survive due partly to their valve being not freakin much.

Greenhead's vast come front the clouds type improvement should allow us some flexibility when considering our inside players.

JZ- would keep but should be played as a permanent fwd. Stands out like dogs balls to me.

Then if we did that we could look at moving on Black. Not sure a draft pick would suffice, but a talented quick running outside mid I'd consider.

A Swallow is our Captain, a very solid player when fit unfortunately that's another twelve months away. Keep.

Drew's not getting younger, I believe that Majak will be a fair replacement for him, I think we've all seen how competent over head he is. Keep.

Brown may well take over the CHF spot, I think he's more than capable.

Probably would give the majority of the list another twelve month's but would certainly in the meantime employ this guy....

upload_2014-7-22_18-59-7.jpeg

Probably would give the majority of the list another twelve month's

I think this is where I see it differently to a lot on this board as I was always of the belief and still am that 2014 & 15 was our chance at a flag.

Looks like we've blown this year but if we are bold and brave in the off season I think a flag is still a real possibility. If we sit on our hands and think the improvement will come from within this group a flag is extremely unlikely.

It's incredible.

Good and well thought out post. The only bit I don't like was Arron Hall, only becous I watch a lot of the suns and to many times he burns a team mate to have a crazy shot on goal which he never kicks.

I think this is where I see it differently to a lot on this board as I was always of the belief and still am that 2014 & 15 was our chance at a flag.

Looks like we've blown this year but if we are bold and brave in the off season I think a flag is still a real possibility. If we sit on our hands and think the improvement will come from within this group a flag is extremely unlikely.

Personally I think the key is sustained success, which doesn't necessarily mean a flag in and of itself. Looking at Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney (and to a lesser degree Collingwood) the key tenant is to get a core group of players of similar age up to the required level, with a few senior players and a few younger players. Then every year you lose a few older players and maybe a core player, but the younger players develop, and you hit the draft, trade and free agency table to recruit for explicit needs and/or the future, while trying to keep a sustainable age profile. From memory our age demographic is pretty darned close to being that perfect spot to launch ourselves into consistent contention from. We have a bunch of early to mid 20's players, a few senior blokes in key posts, and then the youngsters coming through. The trouble is though, that 17 other clubs are trying the same thing, and only 4 are ever a strong chance by the time finals come around, and then only 1 of those gets the prize.

I think that it's too hard to aim for a flag at a specific time, you simply have to aim to get yourself in the right position (top 4) and then hope that you've got enough healthy players with good feel, at the pointy end of each year. This year we neither have the healthy players, or the form. Stranger things have happened though!

Ultimately, it will come down to how our list management has been, and whether we've got more hits than misses. This year makes it bloody hard to judge. Black, JZ, Basti, etc looked like hits last year, and misses this year. Last year Gibbo and Greenhead were misses, this year hits. We've had a bugger of a year, and I don't envy the list manager's task, because I'll be damned if I can tell for sure which players have 'it' and which players don't.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again here I guess, injuries have ****ed us this year. Both to the 22, and the first tier of depth. With the size of the list we have it's simply too hard to get a great team balance week in week out with regards to form, position, 'type', and senior experience. The other issues ( Coaching, leadership, mindset yada yada ) sure as hell haven't helped, and have IMO been severely exacerbated by the injury list as well. I'm just hoping we can make it through the rest of the year without any more embarrassing moments, and that we have better 'luck' with injuries next season.

That said the club hasn't quite killed off the cheeky part of me which thinks we may get players back from injuries and storm through the finals :p We live and hope!

The fact he tore us a new a-hole in the first quarter pantsing we copped from them may have stuck in your mind Arjen. He appears to have barely tapped into his potential, considering the ability he's shown when up and about. Very quick, clever ball user and strong. He'd be a good get.

He's my kind of player mate.

I agree with most of what you've said Devington and that the ultimate goal is sustained success.

My concern is although our age profile reads ok the problem is our best and most important players are our oldest with limited playing time left.

That why I believe we must strike now when Boomer, Dal, Wells, Petrie are still around.

I agree with most of what you've said and the ultimate goal is sustained success.

My concern is although our age profile reads ok the problem is our best and most important players are our oldest with limited playing time left.

That why I believe we must strike now when Boomer, Dal, Wells, Petrie are still around.

Agreed from that point of view, at this stage the easiest flag to envisage would be this/next year, as the state of those players in 2016 could be anything. We may still have all 4, we may have none. It is a bit problematic unfortunately, and is why the club has to be very smart at the end of the year. We almost certainly need to look at bringing in a couple of 'elite' players, closer to mid 20's than 30's, over the next 1-2 years in those positions. Unfortunately we also can't jeopardise/cut the core group of players, or the youngsters, too much. Bloody painful balancing act.

One thing's for sure, the trade period is going to be very closely watched by most of us on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back