Imagine the AFL without SANFL and WAFL

Remove this Banner Ad

The spoilt kid is whinging again.

You were gifted your strength champ.

You didn't earn a thing.

Mate

The players West Coast choose from the start were WAFL players- not VFL players.

They weren't gifted by some VFL admin sitting on his fat arse in Melbourne.

Mate

The players West Coast choose from the start were WAFL players- not VFL players.

They weren't gifted by some VFL admin sitting on his fat arse in Melbourne.

An entire football addicted state was handed to you on a plate along with the prime picks of the Teal Cup winning side.

You could not fail. It was impossible from the outset and designed to be that way.

Any West Coast supporter that looks down their nose at clubs in a highly competitive market need to step back and weigh up reality.

You were given a mile head start.

Its about priorities isn't it.

Millions upon millions is spent keeping basket case clubs afloat or "growing" the game in QLD and NSW.

However just an extra million divided between the 9 WAFL clubs each year, for example, would make a huge difference.

The problem is that it would most likely end up with clubs driving up player salaries.

You can be pretty sure it wouldn't make a rats ass of difference to any sort of football development program.

An entire football addicted state was handed to you on a plate along with the prime picks of the Teal Cup winning side.

You could not fail. It was impossible from the outset and designed to be that way.

Any West Coast supporter that looks down their nose at clubs in a highly competitive market need to step back and weigh up reality.

You were given a mile head start.

given ? 35 on the Eagles list, 53 on the Vic clubs.

WA footy thought about what was best for WA footy .... got it right, not perfect, needed some tinkering.

The spoilt kid is whinging again.

You were gifted your strength champ.

You didn't earn a thing.

Why do you assume I'm a an eagles supporter. I'm not.

However I do understand if it weren't for the eagles and dockers being profitable the WAFL would be up the creek. Luckily they are not like Port Adelaide.

Regardless whatever happened 25 years ago is history - moving forward the various state leagues are going to struggle more and more in the current climate - and I think they should be paid a fair amount for developing/bringing through the players that the tv stations pay millions for us to view.

The problem is that it would most likely end up with clubs driving up player salaries.

You can be pretty sure it wouldn't make a rats arse of difference to any sort of football development program.

You're probably right, but that's not the point.

The state leagues provide an important stepping stone between juniors and the AFL - and also gives reserve players somewhere to play. For this latter point at the very least its in the AFL's interest to keep these leagues strong and viable.

The way some people carry on on here they'd be happy if the extent of Australian Rules Football was just 20 professional AFL clubs who are fed players by invisible clubs run on a shoestring budget by good natured volunteers and the mums and dads of the kids trying to get in. The reality is a lot different and the romance of it should be a lot different for the good of the sport.

Why do you assume I'm a an eagles supporter. I'm not.

However I do understand if it weren't for the eagles and dockers being profitable the WAFL would be up the creek. Luckily they are not like Port Adelaide.

Regardless whatever happened 25 years ago is history - moving forward the various state leagues are going to struggle more and more in the current climate - and I think they should be paid a fair amount for developing/bringing through the players that the tv stations pay millions for us to view.

Without the money extorted from them by the SANFL, Port is quite profitable.

But again, player development funds should go to the clubs that developed players, including the country clubs, and not to a priviledged few in the SANFL and WAFL.

The Perth and Adelaide suburban competitions need to accept that that is all they are - nothing more and nothing less.

Can someone tell me what the fee is to draft a player at the moment? What does a club like East Fremantle get if one of their players is drafted?

Someone told me that their is a sign on fee and then as that player plays ex amount of games a certain amount is sent per a couple of parameters? eg 15 games then 50 games??

Can someone confirm how this works please?

If it is something like this then it needs to be changed. The AFL clubs are the ones with the money and should take all the risk.
It should be a one off fee paid up front and then that player is an AFL player whether he breaks his leg, becomes a star or never plays a game.
The figure should be around the 60k mark for all drafted players.
Without strong second tier football the AFL will long term will struggle and we will be watching rabble being promoted as good footballers.

Can someone tell me what the fee is to draft a player at the moment? What does a club like East Fremantle get if one of their players is drafted?

Someone told me that their is a sign on fee and then as that player plays ex amount of games a certain amount is sent per a couple of parameters? eg 15 games then 50 games??

Can someone confirm how this works please?

If it is something like this then it needs to be changed. The AFL clubs are the ones with the money and should take all the risk.
It should be a one off fee paid up front and then that player is an AFL player whether he breaks his leg, becomes a star or never plays a game.
The figure should be around the 60k mark for all drafted players.
Without strong second tier football the AFL will long term will struggle and we will be watching rabble being promoted as good footballers.

From A North Adelaide (SANFL) information booklet: (dated 2012)

Upon being drafted by an AFL Club (Regulation 14.7.6), the Club, League and
Zone shall receive the following.

Now called the AFL Talent Fee, the Talent fee Structure for 2011 is:-

• Drafting Payment of $20,000 (or additional portion for upgraded rookie)
  • 10th AFL game Payment of $15,000
  • Interstate Rookie Payment of $5,000
  • I’state mature age rookie Payment of $15,000 (must have played more than 50 SANFL games)
The Community Football Board will receive 25% of these amounts to be split between
zones, Leagues and Clubs in accordance with their regulations.
The amount forthcoming from the AFL varies from year to year and is at the discretion of
the AFL/SANFL. This update is effective for the 2010 Draft.

I found this 2012 North Adelaide document in February. Don't know if it is consistent across state leagues as to what the community club gets

Found this

FOR CLUBS AND SCHOOLS IN THE NORTH ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB METROPOLITAN PROMOTIONAL ZONE

from page 9

SANFL / AFL TRANSFER FEES

Affiliated League and Association Clubs shall be entitled to received compensation for the
loss of services of registered players under the following conditions.

1. Upon playing 30 League games for an SANFL Club (Regulation 14.7.1), the Club
shall receive from the SANFL Club $2,000.
The player must have:
1) played not less than 30 games for their local Club from January 1 in the
year they turned 13 until December 31 in the year they turn 19 years of
age. In effect they have 7 years to play those games.
2) Played those 30 League games in a three year period from the time they
played their first League game.
3) If a player transfer clubs it is the responsibility of the club for whom he has
played the 30th game to pay the transfer fee.

2. Upon being drafted by an AFL Club (Regulation 14.7.6), the Club, League and

Drafting Payment of $20,000
(or additional portion for upgraded rookie)

10th AFL game Payment of $15,000

Interstate Rookie Payment of $5,000
I’state mature age rookie Payment of $15,000
(must have played more than 50 SANFL games)

The Community Football Board will receive 25% of these amounts to be split between

The amount forthcoming from the AFL varies from year to year and is at the discretion of

FOR CLUBS AND SCHOOLS IN THE NORTH ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB METROPOLITAN PROMOTIONAL ZONE

The way I read that is that if an SA player is rookied by Port or the crows, the SANFL club gets nothing until that player is upgraded to the main list.

If an SA player is put on a rookie list for one of the 16 clubs outside SA, then the SANFL club gets either $5,000 or if the player has played 50 SANFL games $15,000 once rookied. Once they play an AFL game then its $20,000 - the previous instalment.

From A North Adelaide (SANFL) information booklet: (dated 2012)

Upon being drafted by an AFL Club (Regulation 14.7.6), the Club, League and

• Drafting Payment of $20,000 (or additional portion for upgraded rookie)
  • 10th AFL game Payment of $15,000
  • Interstate Rookie Payment of $5,000
  • I’state mature age rookie Payment of $15,000 (must have played more than 50 SANFL games)

So the AFL clubs who have all the money in football take no risk when signing on a player? The system is a farce. Once drafted or risk should move to the AFL club and full payment of fee should be paid.
It looks as though the fee is pittance in regards to what it costs to get a player to that level.
cheers for the info Wookie!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without the money extorted from them by the SANFL, Port is quite profitable.

But again, player development funds should go to the clubs that developed players, including the country clubs, and not to a priviledged few in the SANFL and WAFL.

The Perth and Adelaide suburban competitions need to accept that that is all they are - nothing more and nothing less.

I think you are a bit harsh. The state level comps put a lot of time & effort into improving players. Just remember that apart from the 18 yo kids drafted, the AFL are now looking at the more mature players. Often kids who weren't quite up to being drafted at 18 improve so that from 20-24 are now better options to play AFL. If the roll of state footy wasn't important then the AFL wouldn't have bothered funding the NEAFL, let alone the SANFL & WAFL.

I think you are a bit harsh. The state level comps put a lot of time & effort into improving players. Just remember that apart from the 18 yo kids drafted, the AFL are now looking at the more mature players. Often kids who weren't quite up to being drafted at 18 improve so that from 20-24 are now better options to play AFL. If the roll of state footy wasn't important then the AFL wouldn't have bothered funding the NEAFL, let alone the SANFL & WAFL.

Im actually more worried that a player like Tim Mohr has to leave Tasmania to have a reasonably shot at ending up on an AFL list.

"Country footy" in general needs the support, and not the Perth and Adelaide suburban competitions.

Im actually more worried that a player like Tim Mohr has to leave Tasmania to have a reasonably shot at ending up on an AFL list.

"Country footy" in general needs the support, and not the Perth and Adelaide suburban competitions.

I guess their is only so much money that can go around. Supporting the 2nd level of football means that if a kid is good enough to get to that level then he will be looked at by the 'scouts'.
Players shouldnt feel the need to leave Tassie to play VFL. They do because the AFL as did the VFL before it, treat this place with contempt & have let the game degenerate in Tassie.
I have no idea why. We've done more than enough for the game over 100 years or so, & continue to do so.
Sad but true.

I guess their is only so much money that can go around. Supporting the 2nd level of football means that if a kid is good enough to get to that level then he will be looked at by the 'scouts'.
Players shouldnt feel the need to leave Tassie to play VFL. They do because the AFL as did the VFL before it, treat this place with contempt & have let the game degenerate in Tassie.
I have no idea why. We've done more than enough for the game over 100 years or so, & continue to do so.
Sad but true.

Tasmania had a team in the second-tier competition. It folded in 2008, after the good people of Launceston decided they werent supporting a Hobart-based team.

That experience is why I dont believe Tasmania can have a team in the AFL - but Launceston, with repepated 20k crowds against lower-drawing sides is making a darn good argument for an AFL team based iout of York Park.

In WA the WAFL clubs run junior footy & to a limited degree support their country zones - is this the case in SA, certainly not in Vic.

Tasmania had a team in the second-tier competition. It folded in 2008, after the good people of Launceston decided they werent supporting a Hobart-based team.

That experience is why I dont believe Tasmania can have a team in the AFL - but Launceston, with repepated 20k crowds against lower-drawing sides is making a darn good argument for an AFL team based iout of York Park.

Well thats a whole new (old) arguement isnt it! AFLTas Fekt that & a lot of other things up to. The Tassie Devils VFL was going well until they joined with North Melbourne. It didnt last long after that. Centralising it in Hobart was also fekn silly IMO. Almost as silly as basing an AFL team out of a place the size of Launceston:p . We have two small stadiums so they should both be used to maximise memberships & attendances.
An AFL team wouldnt last unless it too was a 'whole of state' team.

Perhaps they do deserve a bit more money, but the role WAFL clubs play in developing talent is over stated. The vast majority of work was done at local or school level football.

Eastern there are many schools that don't allow Aussie rules to even be played. WAFL clubs do a hell of a lot more developing players than AFL clubs.
Money does not develop players, coaches develop players. Never seen an AFL representative at our A Grade Amateur club in 25 years.

Perhaps they do deserve a bit more money, but the role WAFL clubs play in developing talent is over stated. The vast majority of work was done at local or school level football.

I think it hard to generalise about State level & Junior clubs in that way. They are all different in how they help young players. I do think the finishing off part done by league clubs is vital & costs more than junior footy does.
Anyway, I think the biggest factor as to a kids ability & development is the kids parents. ie parents genetics & money/opportunity available to the kid to get the best education & training facilities.

I think it hard to generalise about State level & Junior clubs in that way. They are all different in how they help young players. I do think the finishing off part done by league clubs is vital & costs more than junior footy does.
Anyway, I think the biggest factor as to a kids ability & development is the kids parents. ie parents genetics & money/opportunity available to the kid to get the best education & training facilities.

The structure allows the junior comps to function, a structure developed over many many years. Bloody hopeless try hards like me stood along side some of the best thanks to that structure.

Small Point Actually Launceston averages closer to 15K than 20K crowds, with the average size decreasing since 2009 when it was 17K. Only twice has the 20K been achieved 2006 Hawthorn Vs Richmond and 2009 Hawthorn vs St Kilda
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/crowds/vn_york_park.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back