Interstellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol.

Best movie of the last 20 years?
The Sopranos ending sucked? (it was brilliant, and one of the best endings in TV)
Heh.

Soemthing tells me you wouldn't even have scratched the surface of the last 20 years of film.

Christopher Nolan better strike a winner with this, otherwise he's repeating Michael Cimino's efforts on a slower timescale.

The 2 reviews I've seen said whilst it looked great it was pretty lame and dragged on forever.
One of those movies where it's pretty jarring, It's something you should see, whether you enjoy the story-telling or not, Visually amazing, Brilliant score, Dem Feels

One of those movies where it's pretty jarring, It's something you should see, whether you enjoy the story-telling or not, Visually amazing, Brilliant score, Dem Feels
Yeah might have a look next time I'm in Perth if not too busy, sucks not having a proper cinema in a small town.

Anybody else hate the last 20 minutes of this film?

I hope I can grow to appreciate the entire film, everything up until the last 20 minutes was brilliant.

According to the trailer, things actually happen. It looks like a lot of gravelly ultimatums and proclamations, but things are still happening.

It's probably alright, I like McConaughey a lot (but who doesn't?), but s**t like Gone Girl and John Wick has solidified my opinion that blockbusters are pretty boring in 2014. You try and like them but there's no soul or originality to it. There has to be a film soon that totally changes the landscape and makes these big movies look as average and stock as they really are. When was the last time that happened?
Rocky 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody else hate the last 20 minutes of this film?

I hope I can grow to appreciate the entire film, everything up until the last 20 minutes was brilliant.
This

Great soundtrack and great plot even know the ending was telegraphed right from the start.

The last 30-40 mins ruined what would had been a good movie... Nowhere near the best film I've seen.

However it was a good film but felt the dialogue and plot let it down towards the end .

8/10

Hodge2KISSFranklin I'm with you. I'd been waiting for this film for months, and it was well worth the wait.

Brilliant movie. I was still talking about it with the missus the next day, trying to get my head around some of the physics involved, researching bits and pieces from the movie.

That last 20 minutes is mind melting.

Will probably go back and give it another watch.

Hodge2KISSFranklin I'm with you. I'd been waiting for this film for months, and it was well worth the wait.

Brilliant movie. I was still talking about it with the missus the next day, trying to get my head around some of the physics involved, researching bits and pieces from the movie.

That last 20 minutes is mind melting.

Will probably go back and give it another watch.
Ahhh my brother... I thought I had wandered into desolation. Glad to see I am not alone in having an actual clue on what makes a great movie.
I'm going again this weekend.

Ahhh my brother... I thought I had wandered into desolation. Glad to see I am not alone in having an actual clue on what makes a great movie.
I'm going again this weekend.
Good job.

I think this movie will suffer from people not liking it, because they simply can't get their head around it.

The best part about it is that people are talking about science, space and the cosmos after watching it.

Nolan fanboys typically rush out on opening weekend, and Interstellar had a particularly high IMAX percentage. New release ratings typically settle down after a week or two. I've never really given much attention to IMDB ratings for several years anyway. The demographic of regular users on IMDB also strikes me as primarily young and male, budding teenage cinema enthusiasts.

From memory The Dark Knight Rises also opened to a similar IMDB rating.

The Dark Knight was number 1 on the imdb top 250 for a few months after it came out ffs, I mean it's a decent movie but really...
Yeah it really sums up the IMDB main demographic. Letterboxd has a similar ongoing ratings list (without the rule that blocks little seen obscure films), and The Dark Knight only comes in at no.39 on that one.

Last edited:
I've seen every Nolan movie, and in recent years his film making has become pompous and overwrought.

I actually saw it today, as I won't have the time to see it tomorrow. A few thoughts:

* I found that the first hour dragged on a bit and was a little boring.
* The last two hours, however, made up for that. This is where everything starts to happen.
* Found the concept of him travelling into the black hole and sending a message into the past pretty awesome. Also the concept that inside the event horizon is of a higher dimension where time is a physical thing, I really enjoyed that.
* Why didn't they show that space station from the outside at the end of the film?? I was disappointed they didn't show it in all its grandeur, would have emphasised what humanity can achieve.
* I found the robot to be VERY cheesy and poorly done at first, but it did grow on me. I suppose it was due to its unconventional voice, guess I'm used to the HAL types!
* Loved the fact that you couldn't hear anything during the space shots, gave it a nice sense of realism.
* Would give this film 4/5, I would have given it 5/5 if it weren't for the boring first third of the movie. Definitely well worth seeing.

This thread should really be merged with the one on the media board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back