Interstellar

Remove this Banner Ad

So you're saying that only smart people will understand and like your post?

Geez Echols boy oh boy am I disappointed
FMD, did you even read what I wrote?

Pretty disappointed by this one. I didn't think it was a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, but the end dropped the ball for mine. I went into this expecting to be blown away, and in the end of I was just sort of entertained for a few hours. I love what McConaughey has been doing lately; really stepped up his game the last few years. He carried this movie to an extent. The other characters, not so much.

Stray observations, obviously all opinions...
  • Matt Damon was a walking cliche and didn't work for me at all. I've seen that role in almost every space movie ever. Bored of it.
  • I can forgive pseudo-science in a fantasy film but not when I feel I've been promised real science for the first two thirds of it.
  • It suffered from some fairly predictable Nolan-isms with clunky editing being covered up by stunning visuals.
  • "The Power of Love" needs to be banned from these sorts of movies. These sorts of speeches are a dime a dozen and don't hold my attention.
  • Dragged at the end, and wrapped itself up far too neatly. A movie like this needs a bit of grit.
7/10

Pretty disappointed by this one. I didn't think it was a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, but the end dropped the ball for mine. I went into this expecting to be blown away, and in the end of I was just sort of entertained for a few hours. I love what McConaughey has been doing lately; really stepped up his game the last few years. He carried this movie to an extent. The other characters, not so much.

Stray observations, obviously all opinions...
  • Matt Damon was a walking cliche and didn't work for me at all. I've seen that role in almost every space movie ever. Bored of it.
  • I can forgive pseudo-science in a fantasy film but not when I feel I've been promised real science for the first two thirds of it.
  • It suffered from some fairly predictable Nolan-isms with clunky editing being covered up by stunning visuals.
  • "The Power of Love" needs to be banned from these sorts of movies. These sorts of speeches are a dime a dozen and don't hold my attention.
  • Dragged at the end, and wrapped itself up far too neatly. A movie like this needs a bit of grit.
7/10

he's right you know.jpg

Everything up to when Cooper enters the black hole is fairly accurate as I understand it. When he enters the black hole then it delves into speculation. I have no issue with that, it's a sci-fi movie after all.

Interstellar was a 4 hour movie at least that they cut a little too much for cinema

Christopher Nolan isn't the type to release Extended Editions though so if he did cut a bit from the movie we'll probably never see it.

The physics are perfect with respect to time and gravity (across dimensions) ...
I absolutely love this movie and would probably say it is my favourite ever.

I suppose it's like music, what you love others will dislike but that is ok with me.
Yeah you're so ok with it you've resorted to personal abuse :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything up to when Cooper enters the black hole is fairly accurate as I understand it. When he enters the black hole then it delves into speculation. I have no issue with that, it's a sci-fi movie after all.

Christopher Nolan isn't the type to release Extended Editions though so if he did cut a bit from the movie we'll probably never see it.
The idea of higher dimensions isn't really something that's been explored in film at all(as far as I know).
People complaining about the movie being unrealistic need to understand that we actually don't know a lot about many of the concepts in it. Interstellar travel? NASA is actually exploring the idea of whether some sort of warp drive could work(funnily enough on the work of a physicist who was inspired by star trek).
I suppose it depends of your expectations of sci-fi. Some people will never be happy with anything other than rigid adherence to mundane sci-fi(and they would complain about that too).

2001 is nearly 50 years old. I would hate for it to take another 50 years before someone makes another movie like this.
It's not hard to see why big budget movies play it safe so often though, just look at some of the criticism this film has generated.

Struggled to get my head around the 7 years per hour concept even after reading a bit up on relativity and gravitational pulls affecting time..

The idea of higher dimensions isn't really something that's been explored in film at all(as far as I know).
People complaining about the movie being unrealistic need to understand that we actually don't know a lot about many of the concepts in it. Interstellar travel? NASA is actually exploring the idea of whether some sort of warp drive could work(funnily enough on the work of a physicist who was inspired by star trek).
I suppose it depends of your expectations of sci-fi. Some people will never be happy with anything other than rigid adherence to mundane sci-fi(and they would complain about that too).

2001 is nearly 50 years old. I would hate for it to take another 50 years before someone makes another movie like this.
It's not hard to see why big budget movies play it safe so often though, just look at some of the criticism this film has generated.
A majority of the criticism I have seen has been somewhat indifferent to the science of the film. Whether it is realistic or not isn't really the problem.

The dialogue and the switch from "realistic" to dues ex type ending is what got me scratching my head.

From some of the reviews I've read I'm not alone in that, but I'm happy that there's been a big scope sci fi that tries to deal with the philopsical nature of space travel with humanity and multi dimension existence.

Just felt flat with how Nolan approached it with poor script writing

the score was unbelievable.

i found the movie to be a huge emotional rollercoaster. felt as if i had bipolar watching it and walked out feeling utterly confused and down.

but it was very good. some of the scenes were remarkable. and the lack of cgi made it even better.

not the best but pretty good especially for the sci fi genre.

John Wick is the worst movie I have ever seen, closely followed by Anchorman 2 and Gravity

A week after walking out of John Wick I saw Interstellar and it was the best movie I have ever seen for a long time.

DID YOU KNOW: It cost less for the Indian Government to send a rocket to Mars than it did to make Gravity

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back