The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
List 5 players you'd like to see with another pre season under their belts playing regular seniors and 5 you'd like to see still on our list with another pre season playing a lot of VFL contributing to our depth that would put us on track.

1. Ben Griffiths
2. Nick Vlaustin
3. Kamdyn McIntosh
4. Sam Lloyd
5. David Astbury

1. Flash Gordon
2. Dylan Grimes
3. Jake Batchelor
4. Shaun Grigg
5. Nathan Foley

The Grigg hate on this board is quite funny.
In our 2 wins so far this season he has been quite handy for us.
Grigg gets hate because he only looks good when the team looks good. Watch how unimpressive he is when the team ain't going so well.

List 5 players you'd like to see with another pre season under their belts playing regular seniors and 5 you'd like to see still on our list with another pre season playing a lot of VFL contributing to our depth that would put us on track.

1. Ben Griffiths
2. Nick Vlaustin
3. Kamdyn McIntosh
4. Sam Lloyd
5. David Astbury

1. Flash Gordon
2. Dylan Grimes
3. Jake Batchelor
4. Shaun Grigg
5. Nathan Foley

I'd rather see Grimes regain some form if he can.

I have to admit even i'm turning around to him this year. I've been a staunch critic but as has been pointed out, he is one of those players with a role that is neither flashy, or coverage grabbing, nor will ever get any brownlow votes. props for him running out every damn week and just doing one job.

In our 2 wins so far this season he has been quite handy for us.

I actually saw him get a hit out in one of the games, natural back up for maric

Grigg gets hate because he only looks good when the team looks good. Watch how unimpressive he is when the team ain't going so well.
Maybe the rest of the team should stop looking bad then :drunk:

:p

That's actually part of why the hate is so messed up.

Look at the good teams, and then consider how many of the 'good' players they have that the haters keep comparing our players to show up in their bad games?

Every team has them, it's just a hell of a lot more obvious when you have more bad games. Add to that that when you're in a good team, you have more confidence to back yourself, and your teammates and there is a massive part of the difference. But instead we get 'dud, delist, lets rebuilt AGAIN' and threads like this desperately clutching for the negatives.

That's actually part of why the hate is so messed up.

Look at the good teams, and then consider how many of the 'good' players they have that the haters keep comparing our players to show up in their bad games?

Every team has them, it's just a hell of a lot more obvious when you have more bad games. Add to that that when you're in a good team, you have more confidence to back yourself, and your teammates and there is a massive part of the difference. But instead we get 'dud, delist, lets rebuilt AGAIN' and threads like this desperately clutching for the negatives.
It's all good and we'll to have outside finishers. But they still need to go when it's their turn. When the Tin Man met Dorothy he still had more heart than Grigg.

As silly as this may sound, I like seeing Grigg in the bests. It means the team played well and Richmond could play a Richmond game.

Grigg needs to be upgraded if we are to improve
It's no point finishing eighth every year with the same bottom eight players going around
If none of our young talent can replace him and his likes then we could be fxxked
Has served his purpose IMO
This being giving young kids time to develop their bodies in readiness for the big dance

It's all good and we'll to have outside finishers. But they still need to go when it's their turn. When the Tin Man met Dorothy he still had more heart than Grigg.

As silly as this may sound, I like seeing Grigg in the bests. It means the team played well and Richmond could play a Richmond game.

I've seen him go often enough.

Remember, with 'outside' players, if they see a teammate going in, they SHOULD stay back to receive (and/or defend if the other side extracts it). No sense having everyone dive on the ball.

I've seen him go often enough.

Remember, with 'outside' players, if they see a teammate going in, they SHOULD stay back to receive (and/or defend if the other side extracts it). No sense having everyone dive on the ball.
That's not what I am getting at. It's the small steps in and around a marking contest. Losing his feet and not sticking tackles etc. Griggs nail in the coffin for me was his weak effort and drop to his knees that cost a goal against Melbourne last year. He wasn't alone in being poo that day though. The coach being the worst performance of them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Nathan Foley
2. B.Ellis
3. C.Ellis
4. Matt Arnot
5. Nick Vlastuin

If Foley can get in a good season in the 1s this year and a solid pre season I'm convinced that he can get back to his career best form.

1. Nathan Foley
2. B.Ellis
3. C.Ellis
4. Matt Arnot
5. Nick Vlastuin

If Foley can get in a good season in the 1s this year and a solid pre season I'm convinced that he can get back to his career best form.
I'm on the Foley train . Hope he gets a decent run at it. We've got that many players on our list worse than him running around why not.

Sorry Foley is cooked and will never be the Axel of 4-5 years ago

Wouldn't be suprised to see him traded or retired end of season
Agree mate injuries have got the better of him
His biggest asset was line breaking speed as well as tackling and strong inside work They are both gone now
Who will we trade him to? Coburg???

The 5 players with a season under their belt that will contribute towards finals this year.

1. Griffiths
2. Astbury
3. McIntosh
4. Lennon
5. Batchelor

The 5 players with this season, a Preseason, and next season that will help towards finals next year.

1. McIntosh
2. Cellis
3. Lennon
4. Menadue
5. McKenzie

This year is the year and the next 3+.

About half our team should improve this year as a result of experience, and the entire group should improve as a result of experience playing together (it is important to remember only about 12 players have played considerable games together.

We should have 2 main targets this year; 1st making finals (obvious), second developing and identifying the combination of players capable of winning a final and winning a flag.

His biggest asset was line breaking speed as well as tackling and strong inside work They are both gone now
Carlton or Brisbane :D

Tyrone+ Nathan = Aish
Nathan + Tyrone = Yarran ( Hey he is exactly the type we need)

Sorry Foley is cooked and will never be the Axel of 4-5 years ago

Wouldn't be suprised to see him traded or retired end of season
Not convinced that he's done yet. Hope he gets a good run in the 1s this year with no injuries. He wont get traded, don't think he will retire either but we'll see.
Don't think he has lost any of his tackling skill at all. Averaged 4 a game last year, which I think is about on par.

Hope he has a big year this year, he isn't done yet.

Not convinced that he's done yet. Hope he gets a good run in the 1s this year with no injuries. He wont get traded, don't think he will retire either but we'll see.

Don't think he has lost any of his tackling skill at all. Averaged 4 a game last year, which I think is about on par.

Hope he has a big year this year, he isn't done yet.
Maybe he was obviously lacking match fitness yesterday , but he's not getting any younger and injuries seem to follow him
Being a Burger man I'd love him to get back up to his best, but I have very little confidence

Carlton or Brisbane :D

Tyrone+ Nathan = Aish
Nathan + Tyrone = Yarran ( Hey he is exactly the type we need)

Like this but Aish will be going to SA and most likely Adelaide. Using Tyrone as trade bait should land us something decent, not sure about Axel... he'd need to be playing regular senior footy of decent quality for us to get anything decent.... Yarran even though I think he is a muppet would add some great run to our team...

That's not what I am getting at. It's the small steps in and around a marking contest. Losing his feet and not sticking tackles etc. Griggs nail in the coffin for me was his weak effort and drop to his knees that cost a goal against Melbourne last year. He wasn't alone in being poo that day though. The coach being the worst performance of them all.
Cost us Astbury too.

Agree. Generally the case with outside runners though. They rely on others to get them the ball and when our inside mids are getting beatnen, players like Grigg look terrible. He abolutely exacerbates it with his unwillingness to put his body in.

Outside runners are absolutely required to win games but surely some body work can be introduced into some of them. Maybe a tackle here or there.

I have to admit even i'm turning around to him this year. I've been a staunch critic but as has been pointed out, he is one of those players with a role that is neither flashy, or coverage grabbing, nor will ever get any brownlow votes. props for him running out every damn week and just doing one job.

Take a look at Hawthorn. Have a fantastic mix of inside hard grunt mids complemented by outside runners. We are short of inside mids so when those we have are down, our runners look terrible. Like I said though, players like Grigg could improve in the tackling stakes to at least contribute when things are not going well.

Outside runners are absolutely required though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back