Lonie is the AFL Rising Star for round 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for the record, St Kilda nominees all time are:

Round 1 1993 Peter Everitt (first ever nominee)
Round 11 1993 Brodie Atkinson
Round 12 1994 Shane Wakelin
Round 9 1995 Austinn Jones
Round 14 1995 Joel Smith
Round 22 1999 Lenny Hayes
Round 16 2000 Brett Moyle
Round 5 2001 Caydn Beetham
Round 7 2001 James Begley
Round 14 2001 Justin Koschitzke (winner)
Round 5 2002 Nick Riewoldt (winner)
Round 7 2002 Xavier Clarke
Round 2 2003 Luke Ball
Round 7 2003 Brendon Goddard
Round 20 2003 Leigh Montagna
Round 22 2005 Raphael Clarke
Round 16 2007 Sam Gilbert
Round 8 2009 Jarryn Geary
Round 10 2011 Jack Steven
Round 15 2012 Arryn Siposs
Round 1 2014 Luke Dunstan
Round 14 2014 Jack Billings
Round 14 2015 Jack Lonie

I'm just in the VIP Media Room reviewing the vision from the weekend's game.* His first quarter pass off the instep to Membrey was a thing of beauty, but more to the point he does it every week. His vision is unbelievable.

*watching on the phone in the kitchen.
If your Kitchen is the "VIP Media Room" what the hell do you call your toilet? The MRP room maybe?

Some crap decisions are made in both those places:p

wasnt Brodie Atkinson the bloke from S.A who played an absolute blinder at Waverly Park.
I thought "God damn! this kids a gun".
Then he played about 2 more games for his career:p
That was him, was at that game at Waverley, I think he played a few games for the crows

Just for the record, St Kilda nominees all time are:
Round 22 1999 Lenny Hayes
Round 16 2000 Brett Moyle
Round 5 2001 Caydn Beetham
Round 7 2001 James Begley
Round 14 2001 Justin Koschitzke (winner)
Round 5 2002 Nick Riewoldt (winner)
Round 7 2002 Xavier Clarke
Round 2 2003 Luke Ball
Round 7 2003 Brendon Goddard
Round 20 2003 Leigh Montagna
-------------------------------------------
Round 22 2005 Raphael Clarke
Round 16 2007 Sam Gilbert
Round 8 2009 Jarryn Geary
---------------------------------------
Round 10 2011 Jack Steven
Round 15 2012 Arryn Siposs
-------------------------------------
Round 1 2014 Luke Dunstan
Round 14 2014 Jack Billings
Round 14 2015 Jack Lonie
Wow, 7 seasons from '03 to 11 with only 3 noms. Also only 5 in the next 10 seasons from '03 onwards.

Nek minnit 2 in 2014, 1 already this year with Sinclair, Membrey, Acres, Templeton, McKenzie, McCartin and Goddard all a chance to pick up a nom this season or next and suddenly it's looking more like that '01-'03 period.

On the other hand, Stephen Milne, Nick Dal Santo, Max Hudghton, Jason Blake & Steven Baker all played over 200 games for us, were eligible, and were never nominated. Only Blake didn't receive an AA squad nomination or a B&F. Go down to 100 games and you can also include Jason Gram, James Gwilt, David Armitage & Tony Brown. Matt Maguire played 99 games but no nomination.

On the other hand, Stephen Milne, Nick Dal Santo, Max Hudghton, Jason Blake & Steven Baker all played over 200 games for us, were eligible, and were never nominated. Only Blake didn't receive an AA squad nomination or a B&F. Go down to 100 games and you can also include Jason Gram, James Gwilt, David Armitage & Tony Brown. Matt Maguire played 99 games but no nomination.

Tony Brown, whatever happened to him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow Wet Toast fans are bitter on this one.

Wow, they've gone to town. Of course, all supporters do this when their boy has a good game. Nevertheless, after reading that pile on I had to work hard not to go a trollin'. Please.

Re Lonie - no way does he stay a small forward. He'll be a full time mid once his endurance improves. You can't waste that field kicking in the forward 50.

Wow, they've gone to town. Of course, all supporters do this when their boy has a good game. Nevertheless, after reading that pile on I had to work hard not to go a trollin'. Please.

Re Lonie - no way does he stay a small forward. He'll be a full time mid once his endurance improves. You can't waste that field kicking in the forward 50.
I'm hoping we get rid of the small fwd role and allow our midfielders to rest there. sincs, Minch, Lonie, Billings. all like a goal

I'd love to say McCartin since we invested so much in him, but I really think Jack Lonie will really be the diamond in the rough of this draft. Looks to be a real natural footballer, despite being massively undersized. Similar to Prestia or Elliot (but different in playstyle), he just reads the play so well, especially at ground level. Good athleticism, awesome skills and will eventually build a low centre of gravity that will allow him to keep his feet at AFL level.. Will never be the go to guy like a Riewoldt or a McCartin, but I can see him forging a career based on being the X-factor/match winner, similar to Milne.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/which-2014-draftee-will-be-the-best.1086938/#post-36895290

Making me look like a prophet so far.

with smith jones and brown together, I thought we had a good combination there, aussie probably had the best playing career

Brown was a good toiler with reasonable skills, from memory, but not particularly quick. He seemed to struggle as he matured, maybe also battled some injuries?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back