Autopsy Round 14, 2023: Richmond v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Howard has been very frustrating since he joined us Imo. Having said that he’s played some very good games and does have talent. I think the most surprising thing is that how we use him hasn’t changed much and that’s on the coaches. Imo he’s still in our best 22 but needs a much narrower focus given his limitations, he’s a good mark and booming kick so I’m surprised he hasn’t had some time playing as a high half forward. Anyway I don’t see how we can leave him out this week we’ll be undersized against Brisbane as it is.

I have to wonder if are watching the same Howard every week. Howard is and has continued to be a major liability in defence since we got traded for him.

Wow - interesting post. I'll repeat the facts

We are 5th, we do have 113%, we are two games clear of ninth, Cooper Sharman will not play as a full back on Daniher or Hipwood next Friday night and Hotton and Connolly will not replace Seb or Steele.

As for getting better, the answer is clear

View attachment 1716320

PS - a little reminder for you

"We will have zero tolerance for posting that is designed to make other posters time here less pleasant or generally bring the tone of the board down.
This can include:

Any kind of abuse/denigration of a fellow St.Kilda poster (even if in retaliation).

Bullying.

Disruptive posting.

Undermining mods in doing their jobs.

Trolling other posters by way of either posting or reacting ("like", "laugh", "wow", etc) to their posts.

In short, treat others the way you wish to be treated even if you feel they are not treating you that way."
Seriously?

We are 5th, we do have 113%, we are two games clear of ninth, Cooper Sharman will not play as a full back on Daniher or Hipwood next Friday night and Hotton and Connolly will not replace Seb or Steele.

Nobody is saying Conolly or Hotton is replacing anyone. Exaggerating to get your point across serves what purpose?

Sharman COULD play the KPD role perfectly fine. We probably will cough up a goal or two being undersized but this is what happens after a decade of piss poor list management.

We drafted Cordy for what other reason then as a Howard replacement. I guess the coaches found out pretty quickly Cordy is more of thee same hence now he can't get a game, and we pay him how much over how long? Guess it's not there own money they are pissing away.

Here's a fact for you. We have a draw other clubs would be envious of having. Fairly sure it's having a positive effect on our ladder position.

We’re weak in the air and have too many who can’t kick, gresham and Higgins lack of range really hurts us up forward. Having said that Gresham has lost some distance which I put down to injury’s and Higgins can kick 50 it’s just you can’t rely on him with anything over 40. Higgins at least does work hard on his kicking, he’s often seen working on it at the ammo’s ground.

Phillipou and Hammer both seem good to decent long range set shot kickers. Small forwards should be at the fall front and centre. If we are relying on them for the long range stuff the structures are out to me. Wood is a very good longer range set shot too.

Higgins is funny one, He's not really a small forward, he's not really a tall either. He's probably that inbetweener like Gary Rohan or Stevie J. He needs to score heavily because his pressure game is quite patchy. He kicks goals from a range of different opportunities though which makes him valuable though.

You sure you quoted the right person? My opinion is the one that was smugly dismissed and so I responded.

In regards to what the side needs, we didn't need Lyon to tell us that. We've known about our lack of midfield quality for several years.

I was talking about him not you. I was trying to back you up numb nut.

Unlike years gone by I have a lot of hope going forward
Owens- NWM - Windhager- The Pou - Caminiti- King - Higgins
Lyon has played the kids every time he can. Saturday nights loss is on no one but the players. Howard and Wilkie gave up 5 goals from stupid mistakes

True, but I still reckon Steele is playing injured and Ross is at about 50% of what he was at the start of the season. Gresham is a shadow of his past best. If the midfield can't attack the ball they have to work to sure up defence which wears them down. Wilkie and Howard looked a million bucks when they had the midfield ahead of them stopping supply.

It's just a shame that we don't have anything to bring in to replace a few. Bytel is all that's left unless we try to bring in a HBF and play Sinclair on ball or try something like Paton into the midfield to get a bit experimental.

Voted by those who traded him in. They also never dropped Hill in the same time period after many games of very much deserving so.
There were also plenty of Port supporters who were sorry they'd traded him by the end of 2020.

Nobody wanted Howard dropped that year. Not even you probably.

💯 mate

But Seb has been doing this for years
West Coast when he was on Kelly
Essendon game at Marvel where he let his
Man run straight past him into goal
He needs to go

We should have been drafting replacements 4 years ago. Gags and whoever the dickhead before him stuffed up a lot of list management calls. It's hard to replace someone unless you have an upgrade available. We probably need to offer a million bucks over 5 years to get Parish when we could have drafted our own years back. As much as everyone wants Gresham, Ross and even some calling for Crouch to go, we would be bottom 4 instantly with Steele, Bytel, Windy and Owens as our midfield set up. That's a more inexperienced set up than West Coast and North are going in with.

List management needs to be looking 3 or 4 seasons ahead, we are always trying to patch up a leaking boat and not lose ground. Now we are back trying to poach a gun mid and hope that we can find a few cheapies in other side's bins or stuck with a very threadbare midfield that is one injury off collapse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I’m hearing a lot about needing midfielders but instead consider this: Half back flankers who might transition to the midfield one day maybe!

That you Trouty?

As for getting better, the answer is clear

View attachment 1716320

PS - a little reminder for you

"We will have zero tolerance for posting that is designed to make other posters time here less pleasant or generally bring the tone of the board down.
This can include:

Any kind of abuse/denigration of a fellow St.Kilda poster (even if in retaliation).

Bullying.

Disruptive posting.

Undermining mods in doing their jobs.

Trolling other posters by way of either posting or reacting ("like", "laugh", "wow", etc) to their posts.

In short, treat others the way you wish to be treated even if you feel they are not treating you that way."

Sorry dude, but you are coming across as condescending and patronising then calling others out for bullying and making others time less pleasant. Not sure you are making any friends or allies with that stuff.....or even bringing people around to your point of view.

Phillipou and Hammer both seem good to decent long range set shot kickers. Small forwards should be at the fall front and centre. If we are relying on them for the long range stuff the structures are out to me. Wood is a very good longer range set shot too.

Higgins is funny one, He's not really a small forward, he's not really a tall either. He's probably that inbetweener like Gary Rohan or Stevie J. He needs to score heavily because his pressure game is quite patchy. He kicks goals from a range of different opportunities though which makes him valuable though.
Rohan is 189cm and a real unit must be 90kgs plus and very quick, he’s a perfect foil up there as he’s able to take a genuine contested grab and is a miss match if you go tall on him. Stevie J was a freak who could do it all and was as hard as a cats head and again 189cm and built, if we had a Stevie J we’d be a different side. Higgins is a small forward who’s pretty slow for a man of that size but is quite strong one out and has good instincts around goal. I get your point that ideally your smalls are at the feet of king deep but there’s an awful lot of space and many opportunities to get a kick out around the 50 metre line and stretch the defence.

True, but I still reckon Steele is playing injured and Ross is at about 50% of what he was at the start of the season. Gresham is a shadow of his past best. If the midfield can't attack the ball they have to work to sure up defence which wears them down. Wilkie and Howard looked a million bucks when they had the midfield ahead of them stopping supply.

It's just a shame that we don't have anything to bring in to replace a few. Bytel is all that's left unless we try to bring in a HBF and play Sinclair on ball or try something like Paton into the midfield to get a bit experimental.

Outs going by what a number want,

Outs - Howard (omitted), Steele (inj) , Ross (omitted) , Gresham (omitted)
In - Sharman, Paton, Bytel, Heath (new)

Sharman Wilkie Webster
NWM Battle Stocker
Wood Owens Hill
Phillipou Caminiti Paton
Higgins King Butler
Marshall Crouch Sinclair

Byrnes Bytel Windhager Heath

There are things we COULD do. We could also do the same.

Was actually pretty solid in his first year. Has gone backwards since.
He was very solid 20 & 21
33 turn overs in the back half Saturday

💯 mate

But Seb has been doing this for years
West Coast when he was on Kelly
Essendon game at Marvel where he let his
Man run straight past him into goal
He needs to go
He’s getting harder to carry that much is clear. As we push up the ladder and lift standards you just can’t have that and he has a few mates who do the same thing. I think they’re going to find that 25 touches a week won’t cut it when accountable team football is what’s being asked for. Seriously a few guys would surely have found themselves at sandy if we had any fit replacements but unfortunately we don’t.

Outs going by what a number want,

Outs - Howard (omitted), Steele (inj) , Ross (omitted) , Gresham (omitted)
In - Sharman, Paton, Bytel, Heath (new)

Sharman Wilkie Webster
NWM Battle Stocker
Wood Owens Hill
Phillipou Caminiti Paton
Higgins King Butler
Marshall Crouch Sinclair

Byrnes Bytel Windhager Heath

There are things we COULD do. We could also do the same.

I don't think they'll do much this week. They are heavily advertising this game and want to go hard at a win. Lyon isn't a big axe swinger at the best of times and he thinks we could have won against the Tigers if not for a few mistakes.

If we have a big loss or some really shitty performances he might make bulk changes but I'm pretty sure he'll hold the same side apart from maybe someone like Byrnes who's dropped off a bit.

He’s getting harder to carry that much is clear. As we push up the ladder and lift standards you just can’t have that and he has a few mates who do the same thing. I think they’re going to find that 25 touches a week won’t cut it when accountable team football is what’s being asked for. Seriously a few guys would surely have found themselves at sandy if we had any fit replacements but unfortunately we don’t.

Perhaps he's playing a role but it doesn't look good from the outside.

Thought Jimmy Webster was a highlight, even though he only had 66% TOG ... he had a really good output.

He's playing well under RTB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back