News Jackson Thurlow relieved to be back in action

Remove this Banner Ad

Too often? when has a young kid been dropped after playing good football? i cant think of a single example.

Edit- i can think of one. Bews last year when he was doing a good stopping role. but i cant think of others.
Agree with you on Bews, Seeds. What about Walker? After last years' finals?

Also think he played well against both Port and Gold Coast last year but was dropped after both bad losses ... "Scapegoat" springs to mind, there.

Have been away and just watched the game much to the chagrin of my lovely wife.
Very excited to see Jackson back in the side and he didn't disappoint ;)
You forget how tall he is and what a leap he has - the mark in the middle and the crucial spoil in the last , what a quality 190 ish tall he is.
His ball use and penetration in his kick show us why Wells rates him so highly. A HB line with him and Kolo on the flanks and Harry in the middle is going to excite for years to come. Attack comes from defence and a Thurlow with 80 games under his belt will deliver that in spades :thumbsu:
Kolo, Jackson and Harry are attacking weapons. Need a good stay at home gorilla and we are set. Bews is the stay at home small forward.

You can actually see how Wells has set out his recruiting plan- fast and attacking, forever moving forward towards our goals. From the backline to the centre. And our forwards are trained to run towards this attacking wave. It's an anti-defence strategy that slices through the opposition. I doubt that it's a clearance focused strategy at all. It's a turnover focused team - which we saw a preview of this in 2013. And now Well's team is starting to obviously emerge. You need fast tanks in the middle to contest (Gore, Selwood, Caddy), you need fast wingmen who attack (Cockatoo, Motlop), fast receivers (murdoch, Duncan) and fast backlines who can run it through presses. Fast crumbers like Blease and Gregson too. Danger fits this gameplan too.

Stevie, stokes, Kelly and Bartel are not quick, but are quick thinking. They are just there to transition the kids and ensure that we aren't demolished While we wait for it to click.

Our quick thinking mobile rucks are key too. Fit for purpose. If we had a Sandi type ruck, we'd need big bodied mids that can rip it away from a contest.

Anyway, I digress. Thurlow is going to be an inspired choice.

Agree with you on Bews, Seeds. What about Walker? After last years' finals?

Also think he played well against both Port and Gold Coast last year but was dropped after both bad losses ... "Scapegoat" springs to mind, there.
yep Walker was the other one but left him out given there was a year and preseason in between him being dropped and he did have a late start to the preseason.

yep Walker was the other one but left him out given there was a year and preseason in between him being dropped and he did have a late start to the preseason.
Yeah - that's true but I thought he played well last year, also, then was dropped.

Getting back to Thurlow, though- I was looking at his VFL stats a little earlier and saw that he was in the best (top 5) in 7 of the 12 games he played last season, which made me feel a bit disappointed that he didn't get many chances in the seniors during the year. He's got excellent disposal- had 19 possessions (incl 15 kicks) last weekend at almost 80% DE. Just what we need to be kicking the ball forward to our leading forwards!

He wasn't AFL fit last year, he struggled in the North final, he couldn't keep up with the pace of the game.

10alana, what was his perpetration leading into that game? Think you will find the answer to being off the pace in that final. Good VFL form = reluctant call up late in year V Carlton SUB (less than a quarter of game time?), Hawks Sub (1/2 I think) Brisbane FULL game 20 odd possies V good, Hawk Final (about 10 mins remember Scotty didn't put him on till game over, then North final you are referring to where he struggled as you correctly say for" fitness pace of game".
So summarry was leading into the North final his preparation for the 4 previous games was out of 16 quarters he was played approx 7 quarters of footy = struggled and as you say wasn't match fit... thanks to MC not ability I feel.

At that stage of the year it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I suspect that the reason he was the sub so often was that he wasn't fit enough in the first place. In the North game he was subbed off after just 48% gametime and he was absolutely spent.

Against Carlton 24%
Hawthorn 1- 63%
Brisbane 85%
Hawthorn 2 - 20%
North 48%

He wasn't AFL fit last year, he struggled in the North final, he couldn't keep up with the pace of the game.

So a bit like Bews - he's admitted to not being able to run out the entire game. It makes you wonder what the fitness department was doing with our boys, then, doesn't it? And why they weren't doing something to further their own fitness- perhaps getting advice from older players as to how they managed things in their early years.

At that stage of the year it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I suspect that the reason he was the sub so often was that he wasn't fit enough in the first place. In the North game he was subbed off after just 48% gametime and he was absolutely spent.

Against Carlton 24%
Hawthorn 1- 63%
Brisbane 85%
Hawthorn 2 - 20%
North 48%
I suspect that you could be right, there, 10lana.
Do you remember if he had any niggles during the year? like soft tissue or something? Might have been in the previous year that I can remember something where he just wasn't right for the entire year- but 12 VFL and 6 AFL games in 2014 suggests he was OK for most of the season

Kolodjashnij? Also Guthrie will pretty much be pure midfielder from now on I'd say.
Too often? when has a young kid been dropped after playing good football? i cant think of a single example.

Edit- i can think of one. Bews last year when he was doing a good stopping role. but i cant think of others.
With respect Seeds WTF are you talking about? I can't follow....

Hi guys,

How do you see thurlow going this year? I am in a draft league and have heard he may be the go to guy out of the defense, replacing Mackie and even Enright. How do you see him scoring this year? Is he fit enough to run out games?

Thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So a bit like Bews - he's admitted to not being able to run out the entire game. It makes you wonder what the fitness department was doing with our boys, then, doesn't it? And why they weren't doing something to further their own fitness- perhaps getting advice from older players as to how they managed things in their early years.

I suspect that you could be right, there, 10lana.
Do you remember if he had any niggles during the year? like soft tissue or something? Might have been in the previous year that I can remember something where he just wasn't right for the entire year- but 12 VFL and 6 AFL games in 2014 suggests he was OK for most of the season

Thurlow missed the 2014 pre-season with a hip? issue, he actually hasn't completed a full pre-season since we drafted him. Bews bulked up a lot I'm not an expert but isn't difficult to get big and fit at the same time. You get one and try to maintain what you have while working on the other.

Hi guys,

How do you see thurlow going this year? I am in a draft league and have heard he may be the go to guy out of the defense, replacing Mackie and even Enright. How do you see him scoring this year? Is he fit enough to run out games?

Thanks

Good choice, will only get better and will get games. Got him on my bench… (This should be in the SC/DT thread though)

Thurlow missed the 2014 pre-season with a hip? issue, he actually hasn't completed a full pre-season since we drafted him. Bews bulked up a lot I'm not an expert but isn't difficult to get big and fit at the same time. You get one and try to maintain what you have while working on the other.

Had an issue before drafting him too. We love the unlucky don't we.

Had an issue before drafting him too. We love the unlucky don't we.

That one I think I remember, he injured while playing in the seniors in TFL(or whatever it's called), he was tackled onto some asphalt that began a meter after the field ended. Broke his collarbone and a few fingers. It was pretty disgusting by the opponent, as they were well over the boundary with ball when he began his tackle.

That one I think I remember, he injured while playing in the seniors in TFL(or whatever it's called), he was tackled onto some asphalt that began a meter after the field ended. Broke his collarbone and a few fingers. It was pretty disgusting by the opponent, as they were well over the boundary with ball when he began his tackle.

Bike track I think. Like the old Geelong West..perhaps?

Im very confident if he can stay fit , we have a win with this draft pick..just like I am with Lang. Do I dispute that there were other good players that we went past? No but the guys we got are good too.

Was there not an issue with his jaw as well? You are spot on with the incident about the bike track and being thrown into it. I just seem to remember jaw/head not so much AC joint…. - but good call on the nature of the injury.

Happy to be corrected.

GO Catters

Was there not an issue with his jaw as well? You are spot on with the incident about the bike track and being thrown into it. I just seem to remember jaw/head not so much AC joint…. - but good call on the nature of the injury.

Happy to be corrected.

GO Catters
Yes, Daz- July (?) 2013, he broke his cheekbone in a VFL game and needed surgery to repair it. Might've been a depressed fracture or something. Missed a month I think. Have had a quick look and confirmed the time of year. Had totally forgotten about that!

Happy to be corrected.

GO Catters

I did a little digging on google

"Thurlow suffered multiple facial fractures and a broken thumb after he was rammed into a concrete bike track while playing for Launceston in the Tasmania State League semi final this year."

So you're probably right.

I did a little digging on google

"Thurlow suffered multiple facial fractures and a broken thumb after he was rammed into a concrete bike track while playing for Launceston in the Tasmania State League semi final this year."

So you're probably right.
Sorry.. Wasn't looking for the rightor wrong - more that my Grey matter still filing its data correctly..

Good to know too I guess that his AC joint is still intact...

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back