News Jason Castagna retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. He was over it.

I think I said earlier in the thread, but it's a great time for him to get out really. 3 flags in 134 games, still only 26. has years left in his 20's to try something new and start another career while still young. AFL is more stressful and restrictive (on your regular life) than it's ever been for the players. i respect those that stay in the game until they physically have nothing left like Jack but also understand what the chaos did

Sad to have that suspicion all but confirmed by Dimma.

You could stick up for Chaos a dozen posts a week for years and it was still a whisper in the noise compared to the flak he copped from people who just don't understand the way we play and how much his endless run and pressure helped make us a champion side.

Sad to have that suspicion all but confirmed by Dimma.

You could stick up for Chaos a dozen posts a week for years and it was still a whisper in the noise compared to the flak he copped from people who just don't understand the way we play and how much his endless run and pressure helped make us a champion side.
he was also a part of the side that was genuinely fun to watch, his pace with the ball was electrifying it's just unfortunate his disposal was inconsistent because if he got it all together it would've been even more of a joy to watch

will forever love and remember the chaos king 😍

I don’t really think it was social media that killed his career. The real travesty was those DH supporters of ours booing him and giving him the Bronx cheers. Absolutely disgraceful booing a Tiger no bad how he’s playing and George was a triple premiership one. Some people are barbaric at times and just have no respect.
I just wished he‘d been dropped earlier in the year and given a longer run in the vfl to recapture form. By the time he was dropped he was totally devoid of form and then utterly destroyed of any dignity by Richmond hooligans who should’ve had their memberships removed.

"Probably one of the hardest things for me was when Jason Castagna retired, he was one of the greatest role players, if not the greatest role player that our football club has ever seen," said Hardwick.

"I sort of felt like I didn't protect him enough, I hope this isn't the case, but I've got a funny feeling that social media brought about the downfall of 'George'.

"It became too hard for him, his love of the game diminished because of the criticism that he would get from fans, and I sort of felt a little bit of guilt towards that because I think, internally, we sort of gave him the due credit he deserved, but externally, I sort of felt a little bit guilty that maybe I didn't stick up for him enough with regard to the role he played, and didn't give him the due credits that he deserved for making us a great side."

Interesting insight from Dimma on 'George' on the podcast Dyl & Friends. It's a hunch regarding George's premature retirement that I had, too.

Hopefully in time his efforts as a vital role player (as vital, in many ways, as Kane Lambert's) will be fully recognised.

Whenever I've thought about that 2017-2020 side I've thought of George running up and down the field, arms whirring, legs often faster than the rest of his body, applying pressure, linking play and putting the 'C' in chaos whenever the ball hit the ground in the Richmond forward fifty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back