Official Club Stuff Jay Schulz staying at Port - Officially announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of that list 2 played in a flag at their new home.. as I said suckers play

*A couple of those were under 30 at the time they left I reckon

ok so i did some research. This is every 30+ year old to be traded to another club in the last 8 years. (excl. GC and GWS start up retirees)

Hall, Jolly, Tarrant, Hudson, Lake, Chapman, Cross, Pods \end. that is all. in 8 years8 players over 30 have moved club.
(prelim), (flag), (grand final), (not much), (flag), (6th), (not much), (haha)

s**t strike rate eh?

Last edited:
ok so i did some research. This is every 30+ year old to be traded to another club in the last 8 years. (excl. GC and GWS start up retirees)

Hall, Jolly, Tarrant, Hudson, Lake, Chapman \end. that is all. in 8 years 6 players over 30 have moved club.
(prelim), (flag), (grand final), (not much), (flag), (6th),

s**t strike rate eh?

Interesting that this all happened after Moneyball became a well-known concept.

Why 10? Such an arbitrary number.

Lake would likely be the only player that's 30+ and had premiership success at a new club. Very few 30+ players switch clubs hoping for premiership success. It's rare. For many players that are 30+ and move clubs, success is simply adding an extra year or 2 to their AFL careers.

The only players that I can think of that have moved clubs with a genuine intention of premiership success in recent memory are Lake and Waite. Players such as Chapman, Cooney, Cross and Carey are really seeking to extend their AFL careers as the primary goal.

Cameron Bruce and Nick Dal Santo too perhaps.

Hall, Jolly, Tarrant, Hudson, Lake, Chapman \end. that is all. in 8 years 6 players over 30 have moved club.
(prelim), (flag), (grand final), (not much), (flag), (6th),

s**t strike rate eh?

Im sure you've missed some there, Podsiadly not there.

Interesting that this all happened after Moneyball became a well-known concept.

Will continue to rapidly improve aswell with introduction of FA's in their 30's wanting a retirement fund.

also edit* Daniel Cross scrapes into the list. Of every one of those players only Chapman has failed to bring what the buying club had wanted. I would argue that players over 30 have an extremely high strike rate in comparison to other trades.

to illustrate how about the entire 2010 trade pool

upload_2015-8-5_19-54-31.png

Everitt, Krakeour, Hale, Grigg, Mzungu, Jacobs, Tarrant (7) are hits from 21 players transacted.

Im sure you've missed some there, Podsiadly not there.

apologies looks like i missed the 2013 class where Cross, Chapman, Podisadly were moved on

Why 10? Such an arbitrary number.

Lake would likely be the only player that's 30+ and had premiership success at a new club. Very few 30+ players switch clubs hoping for premiership success. It's rare. For many players that are 30+ and move clubs, success is simply adding an extra year or 2 to their AFL careers.

The only players that I can think of that have moved clubs with a genuine intention of premiership success in recent memory are Lake and Waite. Players such as Chapman, Cooney, Cross and Carey are really seeking to extend their AFL careers as the primary goal.
Disagree but I'm coming from a club's point of view, the player may look at it as an extension of his career but clubs going for 30 plus year olds are usually topping up because they think they are in the window. The Crows thought they had a tilt with Carey and fast forward to Sando he probably thought JPlod was a good back up in his imaginary window.

Jay may want the extra year and added financial security but he won't play better football at a new club and it's a bad move by Freo as Pav is almost over the hill and Jay might not be far behind him.

Love Jay want him to stay if he wants to get the best out of what he has left he'll sign on for us

Will continue to rapidly improve aswell with introduction of FA's in their 30's wanting a retirement fund.

also edit* Daniel Cross scrapes into the list. Of every one of those players only Chapman has failed to bring what the buying club had wanted. I would argue that players over 30 have an extremely high strike rate in comparison to other trades.

to illustrate how about the entire 2010 trade pool

View attachment 159542

Everitt, Krakeour, Hale, Grigg, Mzungu, Jacobs, Tarrant (7) are hits from 21 players transacted.

apologies looks like i missed the 2013 class where Cross, Chapman, Podisadly were moved on

lol mckinley and tambling, two of the most forgettable footballers.

Schulz doesn't play key position anymore.

The importance of a key forward is that they straighten the team up by taking marks and bring the ball to ground in the middle of the 50, meaning easier set shots and more opportunities to crumb goals.

Schulz leads to the boundary near the 50m line for easy marks and rarely competes in the air in a pack like he used to. As it stands, we could replace him with Brett Ebert and not lose anything.

Only proper key forward on our list is Harvey.

Again, it is naive to put this down to the player and not coaching instructions. Schulz had no problem leading up the guts under Primus. Even so, he still provides exemplary forward pressure, the most of any of our KPF.

Again, it is naive to put this down to the player and not coaching instructions.
There is no reason that the coaches would want our focal point and the player who kicked 60 goals last year to lead to the boundary line for easy marks, especially when we are trying to win a premiership.

Its just a fact that he is small for a tall forward and no longer has the aerial ability to make up for it. This was a problem last year but has gotten worse now that all teams are slowing down our ball movement.

There is no reason that the coaches would want our focal point and the player who kicked 60 goals last year to lead to the boundary line for easy marks, especially when we are trying to win a premiership.

Its just a fact that he is small for a tall forward and no longer has the aerial ability to make up for it. This was a problem last year but has gotten worse now that all teams are slowing down our ball movement.

Schulz kicked 60 goals last year, many from the boundary line as well thanks to good delivery and very accurate kicking. It happened last year and the year before as well. It has become something to expect under Ken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much doubt that we could get Charlie Dixon, the Suns would have to be idiots to let him go just as he is starting to come into his best. Not really convinced on Sam Day, he marks the ball well but at the end of the day his disposal and goal averages are very low. Just being a target and bringing the ball to the ground is not enough all the time unless it can be backed up with occasional bags of goals, and Sam's best in 5 years is that he has kicked four twice.

Players leave, players stay, players get de listed, players get injured etc. etc.

The beauty of a salary cap is those leaving free up space. It's just a shame the AFL didn't introduce transfer fees.

Very much doubt that we could get Charlie Dixon, the Suns would have to be idiots to let him go just as he is starting to come into his best. Not really convinced on Sam Day, he marks the ball well but at the end of the day his disposal and goal averages are very low. Just being a target and bringing the ball to the ground is not enough all the time unless it can be backed up with occasional bags of goals, and Sam's best in 5 years is that he has kicked four twice.
Dixon out of contract just leaves. Suns can't do much about it. They will get a good trade though.

Dixon out of contract just leaves. Suns can't do much about it. They will get a good trade though.
After 5 years up there they have first shot at him with a new contract. I just think that's the option he'd be more likely to choose. Haven't heard that he wants to leave and he is a Cairns boy so there's no question of homesickness.

It's weird to see so many people content to see Jay leave when the majority of people are begging Ken to play another KPF in the side...what do you think is going to happen if Jay leaves?
The idea would be that Port only trade out Schulz IF a younger plug-and-play key position forward also came in...

Which combined with the inclusion and development of one of Harvey, Shaw, Austin, Frampton, 2015 Draft Pick and Westhoff, Ryder, Lobbe as the third tall resting ruckman it should equate to enough tall forward options for years to come, instead of only the next couple of seasons with Jay Schulz.

Port can win and win big out of Schulz leaving, or could maintain the status-quo and ensure protection from a broken down 33 year old key position player clogging up the list right when the premiership window is so open the curtains have been blown off their rails.

So even if he wants Freo, we still have to work a trade right? Otherwise it's Post draft for him and he could end up anywhere?

So even if he wants Freo, we still have to work a trade right? Otherwise it's Post draft for him and he could end up anywhere?

No, he'll be an unrestricted free agent. Can go anywhere. We then will receive a compensatory pick from the AFL.

http://www.afl.com.au/trade/free-agency Schulz name not on there. Obviously out of contact but not a free agent. probably need to work out a trade for it to happen? Similar to what we had to do with Polec.

Yep my bad. The rules on free agency are way too complex. Would require a trade or we could delist him and then he could go to Freo for nothing. Doubt that happens though. If he wants to leave a trade will be sorted, probably something like a second rounder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back