Jeremy Cameron signs massive 5 year deal with GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a joke..

vampires-kiss.jpg

I wonder why Adelaide were going after him as key forwards are not really their issue. They are not too bad in that area.

Still it is great news for GWS. They are paying him a million a season but unlike Boyd Cameron is worth a million a season pretty much straight away.

How much I would pay if GWS have to sheepishly announce a 5 year contract extension for Leon Cameron tomorrow.

It was true of Boyd, and it's true of Cameron.

Paying a kid who is still mostly 'potential' 10% of your salary cap over an extended period is just too much.

I realise the market is like that, but for GWS especially, when the rest of their top picks come good, how are they going to be able to pay them anything like what they're worth.

Not to mention, what does that make a proven forward like Hawkins worth?

I wonder why Adelaide were going after him as key forwards are not really their issue. They are not too bad in that area.

Still it is great news for GWS. They are paying him a million a season but unlike Boyd Cameron is worth a million a season pretty much straight away.

You'd be mental not to go after Cameron if you've got a bit in the bank. We've heard about the Adelaide offer but I suspect Brisbane and half a dozen Melbourne sides were into him as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paying a kid who is still mostly 'potential' 10% of your salary cap over an extended period is just too much.

I realise the market is like that, but for GWS especially, when the rest of their top picks come good, how are they going to be able to pay them anything like what they're worth.

It isn't mostly on potential though. Cameron is already an All Australian key forward and if he stays injury free is very capable of being in the All Australian team in 2015. The same can't be said of Boyd.

It isn't mostly on potential though. Cameron is already an All Australian key forward and if he stays injury free is very capable of being in the All Australian team in 2015. The same can't be said of Boyd.

I agree he's ahead of Boyd (thus far at least), but not that it isn't about potential. He's had 1 good year in 2013 where he was among the best, then dropped back last year. Yes, injuries played their part, but that's hardly a positive as it means he's also a concern injury-wise.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great talent and I'd love to have him at Richmond, but 10% of the cap is an awful lot of money for a club that is bound to have cap pressure as their kids come through.

It's ridiculous - the AFL completely ballsed up the concessions for the new teams, and things like this are a result of that.

I agree he's ahead of Boyd (thus far at least), but not that it isn't about potential. He's had 1 good year in 2013 where he was among the best, then dropped back last year. Yes, injuries played their part, but that's hardly a positive as it means he's also a concern injury-wise.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great talent and I'd love to have him at Richmond, but 10% of the cap is an awful lot of money for a club that is bound to have cap pressure as their kids come through.

Name me one GWS kid you'd take over Cameron.

True but I think if Richmond had the chance of having Cameron on a 5 year $5 million contract they would jump at the chance. Every club would take that deal if they could fit him in the cap.

Nah, it is a good move. Cameron is an enigma. This kid is a very special player.
To my eye, Cameron looks like he'll be a far more dominant forward - and dominant all round player - than Tom Boyd.
Players like Cameron are once in a generation players, and the GWS can fill their midfield around him.

Well
given that the AFL practically bankroll this franchise, they'll want return on their investment. Lock him in now for an AA. It will be good for PR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back