News Jimmy Toumpas signs with Swan Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Toumpas played in a winning sanfl grand final as a 17 yo, and was then drafted into a football graveyard.
Moore is close to 3 years his senior, wasn't worth a crumpet in two losing semi finals for the Maggies, and has been little more than a list filler for much of his time on the Power list.
It's a no brainer that Toumpas is worth a try at Port for the right price.

Last edited:

BUT PICK X IS AN UNWRAPPED PRESENT!?!?!?
I kind of prefer that to the frothing denial and refusal any time a Port player with even the slightest AFL potential is mentioned as a possible outgoing trade. We have as many middling/ordinary fringe players as any other side.

I kind of prefer that to the frothing denial and refusal any time a Port player with even the slightest AFL potential is mentioned as a possible outgoing trade. We have as many middling/ordinary fringe players as any other side.

As long as we don't trade Warren I'm good

Toumpas played in a winning sanfl grand final as a 17 yo, and was then drafted into a football graveyard.
Moore is close to 3 years his senior, wasn't worth a crumpet in two losing semi finals for the Maggies, and has been little more than a list filler for much of his time on the Power list.
It's a no brainer that Toumpasis is worth a try at Port for the right price.

Completely agree with you in regards to Moore. He has had plenty of opportunity to cement a spot in the side and hasn't. I believe that is due to the fact he is pretty good at a few things but isn't great at anything. So I come back to my question about Toumpas, what is he great at?

I really don't know much about Toumpas. I haven't seen more than 10 minutes of him play. I'm not going to pass judgement on him based on that. All I want to know is what does he offer us that we don't already have and what skills sets does he have that avoids a repeat of a guy like Moore who doesn't have any particular weapons?

If this simple answer is depth for outside runners (upgrade on Mitchell), then I will take that. But if that is all he will be, I don't think we should be offering anything more than a guy like Moore or a second round pick.

Did the rumour start at aa then media has ran with it? If so wouldn't be surprised if they are going for the old he choose crows over port ? Hope he has or will choose us.

It's a no brainer that Toumpasis is worth a try at Port for the right price.
I agree Moore hasn't shown a lot but from a demons fans point of view you'd have to have some optimism about a guy who last season was at least deemed worthy to be a part of a prelim final best 22 (albeit as the sub)

I agree Moore hasn't shown a lot but from a demons fans point of view you'd have to have some optimism about a guy who last season was at least deemed worthy to be a part of a prelim final best 22 (albeit as the sub)

Had he kicked that goal, would we even be having this conversation? Funny how this is a game of inches at times.....

Of all the fringers who've left us Moore has the most potential to thrive back home (I would've said Shaw but his body seems roasted).

Has all the tools to be a factor and is a readymade first-teamer with the natural improvement that will come with a happy homecoming and the resultant bounce between the ears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many outside players do we have?

Polec has a potentially career ending injury, Matt White is 29 next year, Amon is still very young.

This is where we need depth and if the coaches think he is a good fit, why would we back him in to do the job?

Moore had a good 2013 when he was required to be a major part of the team for a good part of the year. He went backwards in 2014 when he wasn't able to get into the team till round 11 as a sub and then not till round 19 due to an AC in pre-season and then collarbone surgery. He started in the SANFL in 2015 and was suspended when he would have been the logical replacement for the injured Ollie Wines. The few games he was called up for after that were not impressive. He should be worth at least a second round pick if a trade is requested and he agrees to it. Or if GC will not come down from wanting more than #10 for Dixon then that plus Moore should be enough.

His time is up at Port but seriously, he's a worthy gamble for a second club - has all the tools to be an AFL quality player just needs to get the head space right.

His time is up at Port but seriously, he's a worthy gamble for a second club - has all the tools to be an AFL quality player just needs to get the head space right.
The head space is why he's not worth a gamble. Its the one area in which he has shown zero improvement since drafting.

The frustrating thing about Moore is that he has the ability, but you just want to see a bit of aggression, a bit of desire, some desperation, some mongrel.

Unfortunately the toughest thing he's done is push an SANFL umpire on the chest, and it was so weak that the umpire doesn't remember it happening.

If I'm not mistaken, the Toump had operations on both hips early on. Very common in young footballers and can cause pain and restrictions in speed/agility. Burgess was speaking earlier about the effect of similar work on Hombsch and the fact it can take 18 months for them to come good.

Considering he was supposed to have solid agility, speed, kicking and a good engine, it's certainly worth seeing what he can do with another preseason under his belt.

He would be worth a similar price to what we paid for Polec.

If I'm not mistaken, the Toump had operations on both hips early on. Very common in young footballers and can cause pain and restrictions in speed/agility. Burgess was speaking earlier about the effect of similar work on Hombsch and the fact it can take 18 months for them to come good.

Considering he was supposed to have solid agility, speed, kicking and a good engine, it's certainly worth seeing what he can do with another preseason under his belt.

He would be worth a similar price to what we paid for Polec.
Whooa steady young fella - no more smoking for you.

The head space is why he's not worth a gamble. Its the one area in which he has shown zero improvement since drafting.

A similar argument could've been used on Schulz before he came to Port. That's why it's a gamble. A sea change could make a world of difference.

A similar argument could've been used on Schulz before he came to Port. That's why it's a gamble. A sea change could make a world of difference.
I think we have a different view of what constitutes mental stuff.

Schulz had already performed as a forward, and done ok as a half back, and while his off-field habits were a bit dubious, he had a brain for the game. Moore has not exhibited this - he's a good physical specimen, and I've never heard of him being a player that gets out on the booze or illicit drugs or whatever, but footy nous? Nah.

I think we have a different view of what constitutes mental stuff.
Schulz had already performed as a forward, and done ok as a half back, and while his off-field habits were a bit dubious, he had a brain for the game. Moore has not exhibited this - he's a good physical specimen, and I've never heard of him being a player that gets out on the booze or illicit drugs or whatever, but footy nous? Nah.

The similarity was that Schulz was at a place where it was unlikely he would get opportunities. Moore started 2015 as first or second in line for a midfield injury or form call up. He is now about fourth in line after Arch and Sam Gray leapfrogged him. Schulz was never going to get significant opportunities up forward at Richmond as they had Matthew Richardson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back