News Johansen moves to Glenelg... Noooooooooo! :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Please , don't berate the lad, this was a very very hard decision for him to make. The family (including me the Uncle) is quite supportive in his endeavours to play at the highest level available.
If you need to vent anguish PM me not Jake , I have a hard head
Any anguish is due to people not understanding the SANFL's salary cup rulings and subsequent sour grapes. Once Port supporters understand his situation the vast majority (including myself) would wish Jake the best of luck in his quest to gain an AFL gig and thank him for his contributions to our club over the past 4 years.

I certainly don't begrudge the kid. We'll give another handful of young SA footballers (you know, the ones that the other SANFL clubs didn't want badly enough to put them on their own list in the first place) an opportunity to show their stuff next year in the Academy team and occasionally the league team. And of course, a few of them will be drafted or poached at seasons end. Port Adelaide just improving the competition again...it really doesn't bother me.

I think Summo gets games no matter what due to being the Captain.

Would be disgraceful if the rules prevented him from playing too.
Summo getsa game each week because he gets the ball 30 times a game.

Summo getsa game each week because he gets the ball 30 times a game.

Not questioning his talent. He's our best player at SANFL level.

I just think he is an exception to the rule that all AFL listed players must play at the expense of SANFL listed players.

It will be a very rare day that all 46 AFL players are available to play. If they are then we should be allowed to play as many as we want in the Academy side and as many of the 15 contracted in the Magpies as we want. But that wont be allowed.

It will be a very rare day that all 46 AFL players are available to play. If they are then we should be allowed to play as many as we want in the Academy side and as many of the 15 contracted in the Magpies as we want. But that wont be allowed.
if it goes like last year early on it will be a pretty full list but come half way through the season, with some afl regulars injured, with some sanfl regulars who are afl listed players injured there will be games where 8 or 9 of our sanfl only listed players will play. when those days come, we will have a very ordinary side in the sanfl and will cop some heavy thrashings.

I think Summo gets games no matter what due to being the Captain.

Would be disgraceful if the rules prevented him from playing too.

In 2014 Summo won the Magpies B&F and was voted MVP by the Magpie fans so I think he gets a game because he is good enough.

Disappointing news about Johansen though. He will be missed and it looks like we will have to rely on AFL listed players to do most of the work and when they are injured we will struggle.

Why play SANFL for a pittance when you can get a grand a week playing country football. The state league has become a joke

Depends how important footy is to you. Some people play a decent standard for nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still the best / only place here if you want to make it at the highest level.
Depends how important footy is to you. Some people play a decent standard for nothing.
I know of several ex Power players and favourite sons and also friends who played AFL who went straight to the country instead of going to the magpies or SANFL clubs for the cash and they weren't all old lol Some didn't even train, just rocked up n kicked a lazy half dozen goals from a wing.

We all were led to believe that the way to get drafted was to try out at Port and hopefully get a contract and maybe from there a pathway would be opened . It looks like a lot of younguns think otherwise , ya gotta get noticed , and to get noticed ya gotta get games in A grade , unfortunatley i and a fair few others think oppertunities at the Port Maggies will be very limited , even if one scores a contract Afl listed must be played first , this last rule is something that is going to prove to be a giant stumbling block for us . Despite whatever spin we put on it , less and less talented locals will want to join us imho , and a la Johansen, Bruggeman etc., you cant blame them.

We had 4 or 5 years of lots of injuries before 2014. Based on that it was fair call to think that a lot of blokes would have got decent opportunities at the Magpies.

We aren't going to year in year out, have a 2/3rds of a season where we only have 4-6 injuries at any one week and 6-8 for most of the other weeks.

Thing is if your up to Sanfl standard and think you could be half a chance of getting drafted down the track , would you pick the Maggies , seems that with all thats happened it might be the path with the least realistic oppertunities , looks like many of even our homegrown lads think likewise.

With all this rubbish thrown our way by the Sanfl i reckon the local GF was the last game of Sanfl ill ever go to , im so pissed off , i dont care if our ressies are playing , its the last dollar they ever get off me !.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back