Journalists you rate and hate

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Dunstall. Funny, intelligent and articulate.

I like Whately as long as he doesn't mention the tribunal.

Ed is a great caller but a much bigger campaigner than Goodes has ever been.

Huddo is a great commentator.

I don't read any of the biased papers so can't comment.

Spot on.

To think it is only racist driven says far more about those claiming it than the high majority who boo Goodes for what he is - a self-righteous, hypocritical, selfish, patronizing, sniping, staging, whinging goose.

If he is going to continue making AFL about himself, the quicker he leaves the game the better. (I don't buy the "affecting my teammates" line)

The rest of us can then get on with playing, watching and talking footy, without the sport being hijacked any longer as a vehicle to promote his private racial issues and agendas.

Brilliant Saintly. Perfectly summed up.

I'm no real Panahi fan - can be rather boorish at times, occasionally amusing but she's hardly in the Andrew Bolt league but I can't find much wrong with the particular argument on the booing of Goodes.

Talking of strange ideological bedfellows, you could have knocked me down with an antiseptic swab the other night when I discovered that Russell Brand is a passionate, well-informed, and surprisingly articulate supporter of drug de-criminalisation, whose views on the subject basically mirror mine to the nth degree. Always took him to be an annoying, frivolous knob largely without any redeeming features. (Unless of course you value bad acting.) But granted, that could have just been me being jealous of him for banging Katy Perry (and no doubt loads of other hot women).

Saying all that, I'd argue your Rita Panahi moment is the far bigger red flag on play.

Back on topic, I don't mind Robbo, but he leaves himself open for criticism - especially his stuff around *.

Connolly probably my favourite, but I don't like the paper he writes for.

Ralph is the one I just don't get. His arguments are embarrassing, he plagiarises, he talks complete s**t. Yet he gets more and more air time and column space. Blows me away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm, a couple of things here.

1) Panahi is a witless, arrogant nobody, who gets a gig at the Hun because (whether by instruction, or she naturally thinks that way), she panders to the ignorant, conservative attitudes of the majority of uninformed, uncritical readers. She and Bolt typify their approach : columns full of unreserved praise for the Libs and unfailing criticism for Labor and (worse still), tjhe Greens, unions or any 'loony lefties' who don't share Rupert's agenda. And when it comes to racism, they invariably write columns pretending to condemn racism, but full of dog-whistling hints to reassure their readers that Australian isn't (and never has been) a raciust country, and just because they're suspicious of Muslims, boat people, Aborigines (etc), they can't be called racist, because [insert dog-whistling rationale here].

Panahi only has an agenda for herself, when people take her to tak or disagree with her views she quickly cuts them off or talks over the top.
Its very rare that she has something constructive to bring to the table.

As I've stated a few times in here, she ranted and raved after the 2006 Socceroos V Italy World cup game, (Depite what happened yes people have their own views on this, and thats ok) But she just about over stepped the mark, when she inferred, something along the lines, Typical Italians, Peopel should boycott bying Italian products etc etc... thats when I thought this girl is a f***wit. I rang in, and yep she talked right over me and cut me off. So any respect if she had any at all when out the window that day. This is a typical example of her. Also Hates North Melbourne, and its Hawthorn love fest with her.

Oh and speaking of the world game, Ive got no time for Robbie Slater, a w@nker of the highest order.

Hmmm, a couple of things here.

1) Panahi is a witless, arrogant nobody, who gets a gig at the Hun because (whether by instruction, or she naturally thinks that way), she panders to the ignorant, conservative attitudes of the majority of uninformed, uncritical readers. She and Bolt typify their approach : columns full of unreserved praise for the Libs and unfailing criticism for Labor and (worse still), tjhe Greens, unions or any 'loony lefties' who don't share Rupert's agenda. And when it comes to racism, they invariably write columns pretending to condemn racism, but full of dog-whistling hints to reassure their readers that Australian isn't (and never has been) a raciust country, and just because they're suspicious of Muslims, boat people, Aborigines (etc), they can't be called racist, because [insert dog-whistling rationale here].

2) I reckon the Goodes boo-ers are made up of
- racists, pure and simple
- footy fans who have a specific reason for disliking him
- fans who are booing because everyone else is, or because the AFL can't tell them what to do
- fans who don't believe they are racist, but actually are

The last group are the ones who maintain they're not racist, but Goodes is a bully, who shouldn't have picked on the Pies fan who called him an ape (of course 'he should have laughed it off'.......really???) ; or 'he started it all with the war dance' (no, that was a reaction, not the start of it all) ; he's too divisive (because blackfellas shouldn't mention at any stage that they ever have suffered discrimination, and still do) ; he just gets by by playing for frees (he's had 11 for the season). *

FWIW, I reckon Goodes has been given a good run in the past (getting off at the Tribunal where others wouldn't). But that's pretty old history by now, and I think that was moe to do with his jumper than his colour.

I have no doubt there is an element of racism in the Goodes-booing. Same as there is in the mass vilification of Lindsay Thomas.

* I did boo when he got away with a blatant infringement, leading to a Swans goal, late in the Nth-Sydney game this year........RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!

Well put Jacko,

I'm of the view there is a lot of 'casual racism' involved simply because the three main issues people have with Adam Goodes from what I've read in all the main stream & social media are:
1. Collingwood incident
2. Australian of the Year award & speech
3. The goal celebration in the indigenous round.

These all have a racial element so if people are slagging off at him for these issues they are definitely doing it with a racist motive.

In all three incidents, if people were willing to examine the back story and had a far more holistic view of what transpired rather than cherry pick just one or two comments to suit their own bias, they would not be so quick to condemn the bloke.

I wonder how many of those who are sinking the boots in have bothered to have actually taken time to listen to indigenous leaders in the community to see what they think? Eg: How many fans actually watched the Marngrook Footy Show instead of that pitiful garbage on Ch9?

It seems OK for bigots like Devine, Bolt, Panahi to have an opinion but as soon as Adam Goodes gets the to the stage where he can articulate the concerns of aboriginals he is demonised and everything he does is scrutinised.

It's like we want our aboriginals to behave like they came from European stock. Don't dare display pride in your own heritage, that makes white Australia uncomfortable. And as soon as people feel uncomfortable about an 'uppity black man' they blame him for their uneasiness.

Apart from a few incidents (out of 300 plus games), Goodes has been a brilliantly fair player (two Brownlows attest to that). No different to Boomer Harvey who might have lapsed occasionally in the heat of the moment but ultimately over the course of his career has been an out & out champion of the game.

So having said all that - Jacko's take on Panahi is similar to mine. I still have no idea how she has emerged to be so prominent in MSM. She just seems so appallingly biased before she actually understands the issue she is speaking of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back