Junction oval deal looking likely

Remove this Banner Ad

Except that isn't what is happening. The Saints had nothing to do with the proposal of this relocation. It is purely AFL and Cricket Vic driven and we are just along for the ride. Seaford isn't going to be knocked down and they are going to find new tenants to use the facilities there so it isn't a waste of anyones money.

o_O

Pity as being based down at Seaford had the potential of establishing the Saints as the team of eastern Bayside Melbourne, going down the Peninsula. It was never going to be an overnight success and was going to be a long hard slog, but the potential pay off was huge. Looks like they dont have the stomach for it and have taking the soft option of telling South East Melbourne to * off. A return to the junction oval is romantic, but it is dollars that is the basis for existence in today's football world

A new tenant to use elite training facilities?

How many sporting clubs does Melbourne have?

The AFL has also won state government support in its search for a new tenant at Seaford. There is a proposal that could involve local football leagues or clubs moving to the facility

Is it really that hard to read the article in the OP?

Except that isn't what is happening. The Saints had nothing to do with the proposal of this relocation. It is purely AFL and Cricket Vic driven and we are just along for the ride. Seaford isn't going to be knocked down and they are going to find new tenants to use the facilities there so it isn't a waste of anyones money.

Like who? The Dolphins wont play there. Seaford Tigers wont play there. It will be a jnr footy ground worth 10 mil.

I hope as part of the deal and for securing AFL access to the MCG earlier in the season St Kilda will become a MCG tenant club.

Make no mistake this deal is nothing to do with helping St Kilda out and all to do with securing greater access to the MCG for the AFL.
Haha come off it. You've had a huge win here and no doubt it's been led by the desire to free up the MCG but to claim you want to play at the MCG is a long bow to draw. If you're lucky the cricket investment might see the Junction capable of holding 10,000 and then maybe one day it could be turned in to a 20k seat venue for your games against GWS etc. But I doubt it.

I don't like the wastage of Seaford. Tax payers paying for a perfectly good facility that the club then doesn't want to use because the poor players have a bit of a drive every day. But I can understand St Kilda moving back to a better deal at the Junction. And it's not like most Victorian clubs haven't had a good deal at some stage. Think the bombers got good investment help at Tulla. I know the Pies got incredibly lucky taking on Olympic park as their own oval. North and WB got good investments in to their traditional homes, Hawks at Waverley etc.

Haha come off it. You've had a huge win here and no doubt it's been led by the desire to free up the MCG but to claim you want to play at the MCG is a long bow to draw. If you're lucky the cricket investment might see the Junction capable of holding 10,000 and then maybe one day it could be turned in to a 20k seat venue for your games against GWS etc. But I doubt it.

I don't like the wastage of Seaford. Tax payers paying for a perfectly good facility that the club then doesn't want to use because the poor players have a bit of a drive every day. But I can understand St Kilda moving back to a better deal at the Junction. And it's not like most Victorian clubs haven't had a good deal at some stage. Think the bombers got good investment help at Tulla. I know the Pies got incredibly lucky taking on Olympic park as their own oval. North and WB got good investments in to their traditional homes, Hawks at Waverley etc.
Your club is doing the exact same to casey fields, tax dollars went to that however you guys are back training at gosches paddock.

The only reason why our club is the one going back to Junction oval is due to historical reasons and also the AFL want more games at the MCG.

Pity as being based down at Seaford had the potential of establishing the Saints as the team of eastern Bayside Melbourne, going down the Peninsula. It was never going to be an overnight success and was going to be a long hard slog, but the potential pay off was huge. Looks like they dont have the stomach for it and have taking the soft option of telling South East Melbourne to **** off. A return to the junction oval is romantic, but it is dollars that is the basis for existence in today's football world
I know the Hawks got a huge boost of fans back when the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne were booming. But do they get anything from their current Waverley base? Do the dogs get new fans just because they train in the West?

If the saints were to move and play games out of Seaford then sure I think it would bring in a whole bunch of new fans (at the expense of a lot of current ones). But just by training there I'm very skeptical if that achieves anything really. They'll still be somewhat bayside based and I'm sure they'll still do all their community involvement in the bayside area. They are just at the top end of the bay instead of the much further down.

Your club is doing the exact same to casey fields, tax dollars went to that however you guys are back training at gosches paddock.

The only reason why our club is the one going back to Junction oval is due to historical reasons and also the AFL want more games at the MCG.
Casey was always meant to be only a part time home of the dees though (just a tad more than the rare times we go now). But we still play our VFL alliance there. And I was at Casey for VAFA finals today it's not like the place goes unused. I'm sure Seaford will be used (Dandy Stingrays? +/- local footy) and it might get as much uses as Casey. And as I said you can't begrudge Victorian teams for taking what they are given re facilities and every club has had opportunities at times. So a bit of wastage but overall not too upset with the saints.

And yes I understand the AFL wanting the G free'd up but I don't understand any logic that somehow makes you an attractive cotenant when you're getting a good deal out of this as well. Carlton are already barging in to the MCG with Melb, Rich, Coll and Haw. Don't see the saints getting a seat at the table due to their oh so generous acceptance of free new facilities in a traditional heartland not in Seaford.

Seaford was always a compromise as we didn't have a lot of options. Can still be used for preseason (as can Moorabbin).

Really don't know how anyone could be negative about this move.

Good for football, good for cricket and good for St Kilda . . . ah . . . now I see the problem. :)

Don't see the saints getting a seat at the table due to their oh so generous acceptance of free new facilities in a traditional heartland not in Seaford.
I don't see how the two issues are in any way related.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like who? The Dolphins wont play there. Seaford Tigers wont play there. It will be a jnr footy ground worth 10 mil.

The AFL has also won state government support in its search for a new tenant at Seaford. There is a proposal that could involve local football leagues or clubs moving to the facility

the club then doesn't want to use because the poor players have a bit of a drive every day.

This is not the reason any of this is happening.

Not sure.

But in three years if we decide we want to move out of there, they should expect their money back.

What an absolute ****in joke. Seaford will rot - nobody else will play there.

Essendon got $6mil out of the 25mil needed. A drop in the ocean compared to other clubs.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-funding-knockback-20120501-1xx8j.html

$8mil is currently being spent on Moorabbin and $11mil was spent at Seaford, nearly $4mil of that came from the Frankston Council.

What a joke moving to Seaford was... spotted that coming from afar.
Saints people loved Moorabbin, what an absolute **** up moving from it.
Members get fed all this PR *** saying "Oh no, it'll be great" and then when the idea doesn't work, we get given another idea and told again "Oh no, it'll be great." Geez!
The thing is, members never get a say on this kind of thing. If Saints members had the right to vote on moving to Seaford, that would never have happened. Now, the powers that be decide to move again... a big part of the Saints culture is a sense of tradition, and then we have major changes that chip away at that all the time.

Who are the duck heads who entered into that deal? If you're going to invest that sort of money you need to ensure your only possible tenant is locked in for a long term deal and can't just walk because they have found a better coffee shop.

Saints better make this work. They are running out of local councils who will deal with them.

All the people having a whinge should look back to Round 1 and remember that the G was not available due to (potential) Sheffield Shield commitments, hence the split round. The Saints are the beneficiary of the league giving cricket a reason to not be at the G where a small crowd looks embarrassing. Not sure if the Sheffield Shield would sell out the Junction Oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back