Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but this is just wrong.

There's a lot more to an overall season performance than 'game style' and blaming a couple of players.

I'll give you an example:

What impact does losing Mundy and Acres have to our midfield?
You're not wrong but IMO we should've had enough to cover for Mundy and Acres. JOM, Brodie and NOD massively underperformed based on 2022.

It was a lot more than just that too. I reckon maybe 6-7 players had better years in 2023 than 2022 and most of those were very young (i.e. Amiss, Johnson etc). I reckon of our players that were regular AFL players before last season only Serong and Jackson had better years in 2023. And yes there's probably 3-4 or so that were pretty similar.

Good players underperforming isn't necessarily JL's fault though imo.

My initial point was that JL's job won't be decided by whether he picks this boards whipping boys or not. It'll be decided by improvement in game style and whether enough of our list plays their best footy.

Hearing we’ll be more conservative coming out of defence this year. Wait for teams to have plenty of time to set up behind the ball if we do that.

Hearing we’ll be more conservative coming out of defence this year. Wait for teams to have plenty of time to set up behind the ball if we do that.
You've been spruiking that since the end of last season. I don't think you have 'heard' it anywhere but your own head.

This is a complete fabrication. No one has said that.

In general, this obsession to become a sling shot team is counter to our DNA. The way we play has to complement the players we have. We're a contest first team, same as Brisbane and Melbourne, our main game plan is going to be dominate the contest and use forward half pressure to also dominate field position.

We looked rubbish because we were failing at step 1 last year, we lost our dominance in the contest. We then had to try to become a slingshot or scoring from turn over team, which just isn't this Freo team. Go back and watch our best games from 2022, they're built on us dominating and scoring from stoppage, not turnovers.

He’s arguably the most under pressure coach in the AFL right now and that’s the way it should be after 5 years. Finals or bust for JL in my opinion.

I really want to see us try to move the ball quickly.

I would prefer us moving the ball quickly, and miss the finals, to moving the ball slowly but make the finals.

Long term, quick movement (at least for periods) will have the most success.

Ryan said the other day they will be more careful coming out of defence. That means slower/switch across etc

Duff and Hase have both said Freo won’t be as attacking as we were in 23. Our points against went right up last year but For went up too. Structurally and especially out of back 50 we plan to be more conservative.

It was either Ryan or Switta or both. Remember Switta was asked if our ball movement is gonna be quicker…basically said no and that the fwds need to lock it in better or something.

Ryan said the other day they will be more careful coming out of defence. That means slower/switch across etc

Duff and Hase have both said Freo won’t be as attacking as we were in 23. Our points against went right up last year but For went up too. Structurally and especially out of back 50 we plan to be more conservative.

It was either Ryan or Switta or both. Remember Switta was asked if our ball movement is gonna be quicker…basically said no and that the fwds need to lock it in better or something.
West Australian a couple of days ago.

As Fremantle struggled to get out of the gates last season, their ball movement from the back-half came under fire.
It was a slower kick-mark game and a step back from the style that took them to a semifinal the year before and a far cry from what eventual premiers Collingwood were producing.
But Ryan refutes claims they were too conservative. He says they just weren’t getting good enough opportunities to finish their transition work.
“We have got to do it at the right times. We weren’t conservative, we just didn’t get the right looks and we didn’t tie off,” he said.

“We have just got to make sure of our opportunities when we do get them, because we left a few goals out there each week, and we have just got to turn it over in better areas.
“If we do, our ball movement will look after itself with our speed on the outside.”
Pearce himself admitted more daring ball use in that part of the ground was the trend in the game at the moment and said the Dockers would be looking to do more of it.

“I think last year things started to go a little bit that way, I think Collingwood rebounded really fast and with how good team defences are these days, you need to be able to make the most of your opportunities and going straight up the guts and straight to goal is the hardest thing to defend — I can guarantee that,”
“It’s something we are going to look to do and we are not going to be the only ones in the comp.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Asked at 2:45.

“We don’t want to be too risky like other teams”
This comes down to interpretation, Ryan is just trying to answer the question posed to him, but hasn't given a detailed response to what he means.
He's alluding to scores from turnover not being the primary objective. All pre season they've had drilled into them that we're a contest first team, so asking if we're going to be more daring out of defence is really the wrong question and hints that the person asking the question doesn't understand the Freo game plan.

Our goal will be to play fast out of contest, and we saw this against the Eagles, we obliterated them exiting from stoppage.

Last edited:
This comes down to interpretation, Ryan is just trying to answer the question posed to him, but hasn't given a detailed response to what he means.
He's alluding to scores from turnover not being the primary objective. All pre season they've had drilled into them that we're a contest first team, so asking if we're going to be more daring out of defence is really the wrong question and hints that the person asking the question doesn't understand the Freo game plan.

Our goal will be to play fast out of contest, and we saw this against the Eagles, we obliterated them exitimg from stoppage.
Eagles are awful though. See how it goes today.

He’s arguably the most under pressure coach in the AFL right now and that’s the way it should be after 5 years. Finals or bust for JL in my opinion.
I really hope he earns an extension before finals is determined. I'm with Fyfe in thinking that stability in the coaching ranks is important. If things are tracking well during the season, get it done.

I'll harp on this forever but we are not and will never be Collingwood. They have two God level decision makers in the middle and half back line in Daicos and Pendlebury (both freaks of nature) and the rest of the team are still very good with likes of Sidebottom on the wing. We can not play like them, just watch us transition.

The biggest coaching improvement for mine is not going faster more, it's getting it right (ALWAYS one too many handballs - go forward on turnover, only sideways if absolutely necessary) and taking the risk to use the corridor more. Give the backs a task if turned over. We do that, win contested ball so we have field position, and the team will look very similar to Geelong of the last 5 years.

Last edited:
I'll harp on this forever but we are not and will never be Collingwood. They have two God level decision makers in the middle and half back line in Daicos and Pendlebury (both freaks of nature) and the rest of the team are still very good with likes of Sidebottom on the wing. We can not play like them, just watch us transition.

The biggest coaching improvement for mine is not going faster more, it's getting it right (ALWAYS one two many handballs - go forward on turnover, only sideways if absolutely necessary) and taking the risk to use the corridor more. Give the backs a task if turned over. We do that, win contested ball so we have field position, and the team will look very similar to Geelong of the last 5 years.
Maximising who you've got on the list and their attributes is how the best teams/coaches do it. Daicos will have even more work out into him this year, so conceivably he might be less productive 🤞. The out of the box rookie is like mana from heaven for a team pushing for contention. Be for us great to unearth a few of those this year. Makes the coach look like a genius. More wicked toys to muck around with.

Maximising who you've got on the list and their attributes is how the best teams/coaches do it. Daicos will have even more work out into him this year, so conceivably he might be less productive 🤞. The out of the box rookie is like mana from heaven for a team pushing for contention. Be for us great to unearth a few of those this year. Makes the coach look like a genius. More wicked toys to muck around with.
40 goal season from Simpson coming up

Practice match or not, I am sick and tired of being a slow and boring side to watch, where is the dash and desire to take the game on?
Spot on… what is it with Freo and Jose Mourinho “park the bus and F&@k attacking flair” coaching mentality…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back