Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

“If you’re a player in a CBA you get full payout, you get retirement fund, you get three years of welfare support, but the coaches don’t have a CBA, they have employment agreements with clubs and in 2020 the AFL, for clubs that were getting extra money, restricted the amount of payout that a coach can get.

Thoughts?

Fremantle isn’t an afl funded club. We would have to pay out the full amount assuming we didn’t have our own clause.

We can just eat it financially. Soft gap obviously a problem.

“If you’re a player in a CBA you get full payout, you get retirement fund, you get three years of welfare support, but the coaches don’t have a CBA, they have employment agreements with clubs and in 2020 the AFL, for clubs that were getting extra money, restricted the amount of payout that a coach can get.

Thoughts?
Further research and I'm wrong anyway, it's now at 12 months from this snip from codesports and like you said, only AFL funded

AFL increases termination payouts in big win for under-fire coaching staff.

I sitll like the decision for what it's worth, even it's a few more months paid out then what I thought

Further research and I'm wrong anyway, it's now at 12 months from this snip from codesports.

I sitll like the decision for what it's worth, even it's a few more months paid out then what I thought

Can’t like it in any way…

Only thing that stops noise is performance. We go into the mid season bye at significantly less than parity and the blow torch is on, and we’re now on the hook for a payout too.

Moronic decision…Schwab like…

Good move to shut up the media harpies and take some focus off the headhunting. Our draw is tough to start with so this will take the air out of the naysayers if we struggle early.

Fremantle isn’t an afl funded club. We would have to pay out the full amount assuming we didn’t have our own clause.

We can just eat it financially. Soft gap obviously a problem.

I agree given it is 12 months, or at worst 18 months if things go horribly and we are 3-10 at the bye.

It is different for the soft cap and what we can offer the incoming coach than if it is 6 months though.

Good move to shut up the media harpies and take some focus off the headhunting. Our draw is tough to start with so this will take the air out of the naysayers if we struggle early.

Heh. It really won’t.

If we’re playing that turgid horse s**t and losing it’ll be on like donkey kong…

Can’t like it in any way…

Only thing that stops noise is performance. We go into the mid season bye at significantly less than parity and the blow torch is on, and we’re now on the hook for a payout too.

Moronic decision…Schwab like…
What if we go into the bye close to parity and now it's everywhere wondering what we are doing, 1 year looks extra stupid there and I'm not comfortable with a big extension.

This gives breathing room for everyone and it's one year which is perfectly normal to be sacked anyway

Further research and I'm wrong anyway, it's now at 12 months from this snip from codesports and like you said, only AFL funded

So I am clear. We would need to pay out the entirety of the contract even if we sacked him (don't think it will happen) in July 24?

I am trying to find the list of 'AFL Funded' clubs and struggling to get something definitive. Anyone got something?

What if we go into the bye close to parity and now it's everywhere wondering what we are doing, 1 year looks extra stupid there and I'm not comfortable with a big extension.

This gives breathing room for everyone and it's one year which is perfectly normal to be sacked anyway

We wait until the end of the year.

Who is poaching him?

The only downside I can see is in the possible effect it could have on bringing in the next guy or other senior talent.

It isn't something I would have approved if I was on the board, but, I also am not vehemently against it.

We wait until the end of the year.

Who is poaching him?
I really dont think that constant noise helps anyone. I'll pay a year of a coach contract to reduce that noise a little bit.. He's as easily sackable now in August as before the extension, they just committed to paying 800k to give everyone time to breath and not have it shoved down their throats every interview (including players).

The only downside I can see is in the possible effect it could have on bringing in the next guy or other senior talent.

It isn't something I would have approved if I was on the board, but, I also am not vehemently against it.
If sacking with a year on a contract was basically industry standard I'd agree but feels like almost all sackings are with at least a year to run - if everyone else manages, we can manage (and did with Ross who was famously not cheap)

No similarities here at all…no siree Bob

Fremantle president Rick Hart has defended the pre-season decision to extend coach Chris Connolly's contract, insisting he is still the right man to lead the embattled AFL club.

The Dockers have come under siege in Perth after last Sunday's capitulation against the Kangaroos left them in 12th position with a 5-8 record at the mid-season break.

In a match billed as season-defining, fans finally lost patience after another inept Fremantle effort, with many leaving before full-time and Connolly booed after the 22-point loss.

This despite possessing one of the most talented lists in the AFL, and boosted by the off-season arrival of high-profile recruits Josh Carr, Heath Black and Jarrad Schofield.

Talkback radio has since been flooded with calls from irate Fremantle supporters, while a local newspaper is running a poll asking whether Connolly should be sacked if the Dockers miss the finals again this year.

Fremantle was one of the great disappointments of 2004, missing the finals just one year after tasting September action for the first time.

The club's response was to extend Connolly's contract, which expired at the end of the current season, until the end of 2007.

Ironically, the extension was intended to avoid speculation over Connolly's future.

The extension was heavily criticised at the time and that criticism has only increased during Fremantle's roller-coaster season.

The club has been beset by injuries in 2005, with the likes of Luke McPharlin, Roger Hayden, Robbie Haddrill and James Walker currently sidelined.

It has also had some brief high points, recording impressive away wins over Geelong and Melbourne.
Three straight home losses, however, has fans screaming for change but Hart defended Connolly, sympathising with the team's injury situation.
"We made the decision at the start of the season to give Chris his best opportunity and the security of knowing that he was safe at Fremantle," Hart said.

"We decided then he was the best man for the job and nothing's changed to suggest Chris Connolly is not the best man for the job or that his position is insecure.
"He has to work with what he's got with a view to hopefully getting some man-power back on the field after the break."

Asked if Connolly would retain his job even if Fremantle miss the finals, Hart replied: "Of course he will, yeah."
The club also insists rumours of an out-clause in Connolly's contract if he misses the finals are untrue.
Speculation also persists that Connolly, who has a reputation for being soft, has lost the faith of some of his senior players, a rumour denied by Hart.

"There's always that sort of talk," he said.
"But generally it would filter through to me if there was any of that sort of talk and I've heard nothing of that description at all."

Hart said reviews would continue over the mid-season break and at the end of the season, almost sounding defensive when he added: "This club reviews everything and does it very professionally."
The Fremantle president also hasn't given up hope of sneaking into the top eight this year.
"I think we've got to keep things in perspective and realise that we have won five out of 13, which is disappointing," he said.

"We're not ready to throw up the white flag just yet, there's nine matches to go, the character of the club will come through I'm sure."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heh. It really won’t.

If we’re playing that turgid horse s**t and losing it’ll be on like donkey kong…
True, but we have to assume that not every single person down Cockburn way is't that stupid to serve up more of the same. Please please be the case.

Fremantle president Rick Hart has defended the pre-season decision to extend coach Chris Connolly's contract, insisting he is still the right man to lead the embattled AFL club.

The Dockers have come under siege in Perth after last Sunday's capitulation against the Kangaroos left them in 12th position with a 5-8 record at the mid-season break.

In a match billed as season-defining, fans finally lost patience after another inept Fremantle effort, with many leaving before full-time and Connolly booed after the 22-point loss.

This despite possessing one of the most talented lists in the AFL, and boosted by the off-season arrival of high-profile recruits Josh Carr, Heath Black and Jarrad Schofield.

Talkback radio has since been flooded with calls from irate Fremantle supporters, while a local newspaper is running a poll asking whether Connolly should be sacked if the Dockers miss the finals again this year.

Fremantle was one of the great disappointments of 2004, missing the finals just one year after tasting September action for the first time.

The club's response was to extend Connolly's contract, which expired at the end of the current season, until the end of 2007.

Ironically, the extension was intended to avoid speculation over Connolly's future.

The extension was heavily criticised at the time and that criticism has only increased during Fremantle's roller-coaster season.

The club has been beset by injuries in 2005, with the likes of Luke McPharlin, Roger Hayden, Robbie Haddrill and James Walker currently sidelined.

It has also had some brief high points, recording impressive away wins over Geelong and Melbourne.
Three straight home losses, however, has fans screaming for change but Hart defended Connolly, sympathising with the team's injury situation.
"We made the decision at the start of the season to give Chris his best opportunity and the security of knowing that he was safe at Fremantle," Hart said.

"We decided then he was the best man for the job and nothing's changed to suggest Chris Connolly is not the best man for the job or that his position is insecure.
"He has to work with what he's got with a view to hopefully getting some man-power back on the field after the break."

Asked if Connolly would retain his job even if Fremantle miss the finals, Hart replied: "Of course he will, yeah."
The club also insists rumours of an out-clause in Connolly's contract if he misses the finals are untrue.
Speculation also persists that Connolly, who has a reputation for being soft, has lost the faith of some of his senior players, a rumour denied by Hart.

"But generally it would filter through to me if there was any of that sort of talk and I've heard nothing of that description at all."

Hart said reviews would continue over the mid-season break and at the end of the season, almost sounding defensive when he added: "This club reviews everything and does it very professionally."
The Fremantle president also hasn't given up hope of sneaking into the top eight this year.
"I think we've got to keep things in perspective and realise that we have won five out of 13, which is disappointing," he said.

"We're not ready to throw up the white flag just yet, there's nine matches to go, the character of the club will come through I'm sure."
Hey what did I do?

2003 - finals, 2004 - shite, 2005 contract extension and still shite, 2006 finals, 2007 gone…

Oh dear. 🙁

It takes a special (bad) event for you to come out of hiding. Right on cue.
It's been pre-season, what do you want me to do? I couldn't care less until round 1 most of the time, especially living over the other side of the world and having stressful events in my personal life.

It's no longer a distraction in the media for this season and I would expect that whomever is coaching the dockers in 2025 is going to enjoy a boost in performance so they'd be full of options and the media would celebrate them as a genius changing nothing

Here’s a wacky thought & I presume there’s no players on here or staff who are in the inner sanctum that can tell us otherwise.
Perhaps the messaging from the coaching staff is very good & it’s the players who aren’t carrying out the instructions correctly & aren't quite there yet.
Maybe the stats that tell us they’ve been young & inexperienced actually mean something.

History is always interesting to learn from!

Here’s a wacky thought & I presume there’s no players on here or staff who are in the inner sanctum that can tell us otherwise.
Perhaps the messaging from the coaching staff is very good & it’s the players who aren’t carrying out the instructions correctly & aren't quite there yet.
Maybe the stats that tell us they’ve been young & inexperienced actually mean something.
How dare you come in here wielding Occam’s razor like that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back