K Hunt confirms his departure from the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon his impact will go on past the fact he's no longer there.

Outside of Ablett, he was perhaps the one that worked the hardest to teach the youngsters how to train well to be involved in professional sport. Guys like Prestia and O'Meara will have learned a lot about being dedicated to training and professional preparation.

As has been mentioned, kicking the winning goal in a match isd a dream we've all had and he lived it.

Well done Karmichael.

4130926-3x2-700x467.jpg

I actually reckon he was a solid player. If he had been paid $250k for playing, no one would say it wasn't worth it. Fact is, he was paid a lot to promote the game and get people talking about the Suns. I mean, we even have a thread devoted to him leaving, which indicates it's worked. We are talking about him, and by extension, the Suns.

He gave the club a name and a face to use when they started and he got people interested in the club when they didn't have results to jump on too.

He also had a big part to play in Bennell still being there and enjoying his footy. from memory Bennell lost the plot for a while and then went to live with Hunt (not sure if he still does). Bennell is now likely to become the player the Suns want which probably wasn't looking like being the case when he initially arrived.

I for one congratulate the guy for what he has done

44 games in 4 years is not a great career, but he was useful for some PR value in Qld. Had a couple of memorable moments, but probably should've stayed with Rugby in the first place as Gazza ended up being a better PR tool than Hunt anyway.
Most people on the Gold Coast wouldn't have had a clue who Gary Ablett was 4 years ago.

Most people on the Gold Coast wouldn't have had a clue who Gary Ablett was 4 years ago.
There's a large contingent of ex-pat Victorians living on the Gold Coast so I don't agree necessarily. Besides, there is such a thing as marketing which would've spread the word the best AFL player in the league is playing for the GCS that would've also generated interest. I'm not denying that Hunt had PR value in the initial stages, probably far more than I'm giving him credit for too. But the value of that PR was fairly short-lived, just as Hunt's AFL career it seems. He got a nice payday from AFL so good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a great guy and universally loved and respected by his team mates and the supporters. Unfortunately we never saw an extended period of his best football and as such he will not be remembers as the footballer he had the skills to be.

However his drawing of media and fans to the game cannot be overlooked and is clearly a success up here in SEQ. I wonder how many AFL fans will watch the Reds with interest next year. I know I will.

All the best K

Dunno what I loved more, his goal against Richmond or his first against Geelong.

The Suns have been built around GAblett but the foundation was made with campaigner.

Much respect.

I reckon his impact will go on past the fact he's no longer there.

Outside of Ablett, he was perhaps the one that worked the hardest to teach the youngsters how to train well to be involved in professional sport. Guys like Prestia and O'Meara will have learned a lot about being dedicated to training and professional preparation.

As has been mentioned, kicking the winning goal in a match isd a dream we've all had and he lived it.

Well done Karmichael.

Think they're naming an award after him at the B&F for that reason.

Massive fan of Special K, didn't give him a chance and reckon he did pretty bloody decently all things considered. Looks even better when you look at Izzy (who had greater physical gifts).

Think he could have developed into a handy inside player. Shame to see him go but his body clearly wasn't playing along anyway

As a player, he was a bit of a waste of time. As a marketing gimmick ... to hard to tell from down here.

I think your right, he was never employed to get people in Melbourne talking AFL, it was to get league supporters in Qld to watch the game and the Suns have proud supporters from that back ground now (Hi tigernova ) that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Plus K was a huge name here in Qld, idolised by thousands of young kids that now at least know about AFL. As an example my local club ( Morningside Panthers) had 5 under 6 teams this year, they had 1 prior to the Suns and K coming along. The experience gets a big tick from me

Going to Rugby Union by the looks of it.He served his purpose as a PR vehicle and its a pity he didnt get to play more games.

By his comments that he could hack running 12 KMS per game shows how tough it is to play AFL nowadays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back