News Kelly and Stokes to announce retirements Wednesday

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the most important thing to take out of that article, IMO:

it makes me sad that the departures of greats of my club is somewhat brushed with cynicism from the media world. When someone leaves a football club the contemptuous sensationalism around the decision should be left aside. The quest to know first often distorts the accomplishments. Let the positive impact on and off the field that the players have made become the headline.

Don't other players just walk off the field and into the coaches box, Partridge? Milburn's one name that springs to mind.

I'm unsure though if they need to do coaching level 1 or 2 type courses first. I thought this was a recent change, so I'm in the same opinion
as Partridge. He probably needs coaching accreditation first, which he may just have.

I'm unsure though if they need to do coaching level 1 or 2 type courses first. I thought this was a recent change, so I'm in the same opinion
as Partridge. He probably needs coaching accreditation first, which he may just have.
Ah, OK.
And you can't do that simultaneously?
Like you said, maybe he's been sneakily getting all that stuff done in the background while playing. Some players are doing that- I recall reading a general article that mentioned several players and what they were studying.

Ah, OK.
And you can't do that simultaneously?
Like you said, maybe he's been sneakily getting all that stuff done in the background while playing. Some players are doing that- I recall reading a general article that mentioned several players and what they were studying.

Oh definitely, however, have yet to see it linked in an article when they are describing his knack for coaching.

Weird, But I probably gained my most respect for James Kelly during that shitty international rules tour to Ireland which was filled with mostly B Grade players, he tackled and chased and did his country proud in amongst a group of blokes who shouldnt have represented australia

Kel just said KROCK that he knew 7 weeks ago that the club was tapping him out.

Quality to see that the GFC and Kel could keep it shushed until this week when it was announced.

Classy

Go Catters

Kel said that there is no definite plans for next year with him - not that he would not rule out playing on - but that he has not closed the door or anything.

Id say there is a chance to see him go on somewhere perhaps…

Go Catters

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-18/new-program-for-coaches

The two-year program would include a peer review system and would qualify participants to become a senior coach.

A further outcome of the program would be the preparation of senior assistant coaches who are aspiring to the role of a director of coaching, rather than a senior coach.

To gain entry to the program, applicants will be assessed by a selection panel made up of representatives from inside and outside the industry.

Oh s**t! I think Stevie J might be in trouble here as well :(

Kel just said KROCK that he knew 7 weeks ago that the club was tapping him out.

Quality to see that the GFC and Kel could keep it shushed until this week when it was announced.

Classy

Go Catters

Also credit to Kelly for the way he has conducted himself over that time, to keep his head up and continue to do his job for the team

Stokesy :thumbsu:

"I don't know what else you can ask for as a player, to have someone like him (football manager Steve Hocking) sit down and tell me man-to-man, and go through the whole decision process. The most important thing is the club always comes first, no matter the individual, what they've done," Stokes said.

"I want to sit back in a couple of years time and watch this team succeed. If that means I have to go probably a year earlier than I thought, so be it. They're doing what they think is best for the club.
"As a player and a Geelong man, you've just got to back them that they've made the right decision."

"I love this club," Stokes said.
"I'm really grateful that I came here a kid and I'll walk out a man."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-05/trio-of-cats-greats-farewell-geelong-in-style

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All class from the players and the club.Thanks to all.
Have a feeling they all might call it quits but all the best whatever they decide to do with their lives.

How ******* stout is this bloke.

After all the chances he has had to go me me me, he stops and directs the platitudes at the club and manages to work in the future success of the club as the important factor on the day of his last performances as a Cat.

don't care what anyone says - Bloke is a a deadset champion of the club.

Go Catters
he is the best person of the three
great bloke, very loyal

Geelong two-time premiership winner Mathew Stokes will end his AFL career in the same way he played it – without fuss or fanfare.

The 30-year-old has officially made up his mind to retire and will turn his attention to life after football which could involve ramping up his role as a leader in the indigenous community.

A true Cat all the way. :thumbsu:

http://bit.ly/1RWxFno

Remove this Banner Ad

Back