News Kelly and Stokes to announce retirements Wednesday

Remove this Banner Ad

Stoke's manager.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2015-09-02/stokesy-and-kel-say-farewell

Stokes' and Kelly's goodbye video. Reminiscing about being at Geelong.
Yeah, I cried :cry: thanks for posting that. It was so lovely to be able to run through some of those highlights of the boys- that cheeky little handpass by Kelly through the legs of his Hawks opponent (can't see who it was, through the tears) to Harry :D
Then I laughed at the practical jokes. :D:D
Then I cried again :cry:

Interestingly- *conspiracy #564738*- (Put your tinfoil hat on)- both boys thanked Bomber but neither of them thanked Chris Scott.

make of that what you will :)

Good luck guys!!

Two club legends gone and possibly (probably?) a third. Thanks Kel and Stokesy you blokes have been fantastic, not just in playing valuable roles in one of the greatest teams of all time and in premierships, but also in showing the resilience in your own personal careers to overcome difficulties to be willing and capable of playing varied roles and remaking yourselves. All the best for whatever you do and I hope those Premiership medallions are kept in cotton wool or hung on the wall behind unbreakable glass.

A timely piece:
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-09-02/josh-hunt-backs-cats-handling-of-players

Dual premiership player Josh Hunt says Geelong doesn't pay lip service when it comes to welcoming former stars back to the club regardless of whether they extend their careers at another club.
The Cats delisted Hunt at the end of 2013 after 198 games and 12 seasons and he joined Greater Western Sydney as a delisted free agent in his final year.
He played 14 games for the Giants before calling it quits.
However Hunt told AFL.com.au he has returned to the Cats since and was welcomed with open arms.
"The beauty of the footy club is that they stand true to their word and you can go with their blessing and they welcome you back with open arms," Hunt said.

Gee what happens when you don't get on BF for a few days.

All the very best wishes to Stokesy and Kils and hearty thanks for their outstanding efforts and contributions to GFC. Thanks for the memories! :thumbsu:

Stoke's manager.

Good lord Andy Maher has a doppleganger :eek:

Scott may have delivered the message...but the list management team make the decisions.....Hocking, Scott, Wells and Cook (to a lesser extent)....

Some posters will just point at Scott though because he's an easy target.

Scott may have delivered the message...but the list management team make the decisions.....Hocking, Scott, Wells and Cook (to a lesser extent)....

Some posters will just point at Scott though because he's an easy target.

I've never seen anyone have a go at Hocking yet, he seems to slip under the radar like Carter...
Time to start a new trend...

Anyone else see the link between Hocking taking over the football department and us becoming s**t. I think it is time to start asking questions, pointing fingers and most importantly start stamping our feet. This performance would have never happened under Balme, the worst he got us was 7th, first year he's gone we miss the finals. #WrongBalmeGame #SackHocking2015? #TimeForAnEscapeGoat

I've never seen anyone have a go at Hocking yet, he seems to slip under the radar like Carter...

Anyone else see the link between Hocking taking over the football department and us becoming s**t. I think it is time to start asking questions, pointing fingers and most importantly start stamping our feet. This performance would have never happened under Balme, the worst he got us was 7th, first year he's gone we miss the finals. #WrongBalmeGame #SackHocking2015? #TimeForAnEscapeGoat
If this wasn't a piss take I'd think this was a legitimate post from around here. Hopefully it never comes to that!

You've got the false logic and stilted cadence just right tho! ;) :thumbsu:

hahahahhahaaaa...lets get around him!!!......and sink the boot. The "facts" obviously point to Hocking being totally responsible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hocking will ultimately be judged on how he handles the transition from Scott to the new coach.

Well, I guess James Kelly is now official too.

Bit sad seeing the last few guys of our great modern era leaving the building but, as they say, time and tide wait for no man.

To illustrate the start Kelly had with us look no further than his winning of 'best first year player' in 2002 beating out Ablett, Bartel and Johnson who arrived at the club in the same draft.

I remember him being a silky looking, outside runner in his early days and also remember how disappointing it was when he badly broke his leg against West Coast in '04 which cut short a terrific season.

The fact he turned himself into a tough, contested, tackling machine as he matured shows how players can evolve and he leaves Geelong as a player who helped the club win 3 premierships, as well as getting himself an All Australian gong and a 3rd place finish in the Carji in 2010.

A great player with a great CV.

All the best Pops!

Last edited:
This to me reads like someone who isn't going on anywhere else.... maybe I'm just seeing what I want from it

one interesting thing from their video is the enormous respect for Bomber Thompson.

it does make me think that Essendon made a monumental F Up when they flicked Thompson for Hird. And as I recall, the team had started playing better footy under Thompson as well. Just another error of judgement by their administration.

I've been thinking about the possibility of SJ not going on.
The ONLY way I'll be comfortable with it is if Scott has decided he needs him in the box more than on the ground.

Ie. We're dropping an assistant coach in exchange for sj.

I've been thinking about the possibility of SJ not going on.
The ONLY way I'll be comfortable with it is if Scott has decided he needs him in the box more than on the ground.

Ie. We're dropping an assistant coach in exchange for sj.

Johnson still needs to do his training if he wants to go into coaching. Not sure if he can do that as an assistant or not.

There's a nice piece from Harry Taylor on the retirements in today's Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/geelon...to-a-close-20150903-gjetc9.html#ixzz3kokvfGJ4
Steve Johnson, James Kelly and Mathew Stokes informed our playing group this week that the curtain was closing on their time at the Geelong Football Club. Standing in front of the people who have helped you get to where you are and whom you admire and respect very much is a tough assignment. Mates that you have been alongside on the rollercoaster ride are there looking back at you. Is there a sense of embarrassment and shame that you have let people down? A sense of relief knowing your body and mind were no longer willing? Or a sense of uncertainty and vulnerability about life ahead? It is a very emotional moment. My time will come but I know that our premiership heroes all spoke with honesty and authenticity and made me feel so lucky to have been alongside them for part of their football journey.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/geelon...to-a-close-20150903-gjetc9.html#ixzz3kokvfGJ4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back