• Pick 8 and 27 with 18 coming back

Votes: 41 25.3%
  • pick 8 with 18 coming back

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • 2nd round pick

Votes: 53 32.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm taking this chance to encourage everyone to vote in the two threads that are more important than spitballing about Neale

If you havent already please vote for the Board MVP and Post Of The year

Board MVP:

Post of the Year

Our past 5 years drafting vs past 5 years trading history is alarmingly one sided which is why it makes sense to continue attacking the draft.
Still think Neale at the right price is a different case as an ex-Freo player who was 100% committed during his time, and same can be said for his time at the Lions. So you can rely on someone with great character giving their all for the club unlike a Hogan, Kersten type blow-in.

Knew I'd be able to come here for some comedy gold!

You guys place way too much importance in the draft. Sure, there are examples such as the Adrian Fletcher/Luke Power one where it was a bad trade. But there are plenty more examples where top 10 picks have been duds. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that the draft is a lottery. Of course the top picks give you a better chance of unearthing a champion player, but it's far from a sure thing.

On the other hand, a proven, elite inside mid wants to come back to your club, but the best you seemingly want to offer is a second rounder because he's too old and you already have a few of them. Firstly, he's an instant upgrade on those current guys and would likely take a tag and free them up. Secondly, you're acting like he's 35 and isn't far off retirement. He'll be 29 next year and the skills which make him elite at what he does (getting the ball and giving it to the more damaging players) aren't going to drop off any time soon. I'd be very surprised if isn't still an elite mid for another 3-4 years. Was Mundy also over the hill at 29?.... 7 years later.

You don't think you'll be competing for a flag in the next 3 or so years after finishing one win outside the 8 this year? Geez, that gives a depressing insight into the pysche of being a Freo fan!

By the sounds of it, you guys have made some bad trades in the past... so therefore trading in players (even elite ones) is a no go, and you'll stick to the draft and have bunch of young kids running around with no one to guide them. Crazy talk.
You're in luck Creg!

This guy, who you've outlined is an exceptional player and one who would provide a massive boost for any team he plays for, is contracted to you for the next two years.

My advice would be to enjoy those two years with him.

You guys place way too much importance in the draft. Sure, there are examples such as the Adrian Fletcher/Luke Power one where it was a bad trade. But there are plenty more examples where top 10 picks have been duds. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that the draft is a lottery. Of course the top picks give you a better chance of unearthing a champion player, but it's far from a sure thing.

On the other hand, a proven, elite inside mid wants to come back to your club, but the best you seemingly want to offer is a second rounder because he's too old and you already have a few of them. Firstly, he's an instant upgrade on those current guys and would likely take a tag and free them up. Secondly, you're acting like he's 35 and isn't far off retirement. He'll be 29 next year and the skills which make him elite at what he does (getting the ball and giving it to the more damaging players) aren't going to drop off any time soon. I'd be very surprised if isn't still an elite mid for another 3-4 years. Was Mundy also over the hill at 29?.... 7 years later.

You don't think you'll be competing for a flag in the next 3 or so years after finishing one win outside the 8 this year? Geez, that gives a depressing insight into the pysche of being a Freo fan!

By the sounds of it, you guys have made some bad trades in the past... so therefore trading in players (even elite ones) is a no go, and you'll stick to the draft and have bunch of young kids running around with no one to guide them. Crazy talk.
It's a welfare issue between the Lions and Neale. We'll consider providing assistance if asked.

You're in luck Creg!

This guy, who you've outlined is an exceptional player and one who would provide a massive boost for any team he plays for, is contracted to you for the next two years.

My advice would be to enjoy those two years with him.

Fine by me mate. Unlike you lot, we actually have aspirations of winning something.

Taking Lachie Neale out of the equation and his potential cost I am interested in peoples views about our perceived midfield depth.

Cerra is gone leaving us with Brayshaw, Serong, Mundy and Fyfe. I dont want to hear any other names as guys like Tucker, Banfield etc they are depth at best.

Mundy is turning 37 next year, fyfes shoulders could be cooked. We are actually quite thin for midfield depth

if you look at the top 4 teams they all bat deep on their midfield. He does fit our list need which is quality players in the midfield.

Don't disagree, but fixing our forwardline is much more of an urgent problem and I don't think we can do that properly if we bring in Neale*

*Assuming he costs roughly what we expect Brisbane will ask.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry Mr Scorpion, I can't swim you on my back to the other side of the river, us frogs know the fable and believe me when I tell you it won't end well for either of us, but you know what? Go ask that big smug looking bird over there, if you're lucky, he might fly you across. 🙂

Being beaten by the likely premiers and then losing by 1 point after being shafted by the umps in the semi is nothing to be embarrassed about. Beats not making the 8 at all, that's for sure.

You weren’t shafted by the umpires though. How many chances did you need in the 4th to put it away 🙄

Taking Lachie Neale out of the equation and his potential cost I am interested in peoples views about our perceived midfield depth.

Cerra is gone leaving us with Brayshaw, Serong, Mundy and Fyfe. I dont want to hear any other names as guys like Tucker, Banfield etc they are depth at best.

Mundy is turning 37 next year, fyfes shoulders could be cooked. We are actually quite thin for midfield depth
It's bit hard to answer if you call people depth at best and then disregard them as options. That is the definition of depth. To come in if there are injuries to your first choice mids.

Tucker, Crowden, Blakely, Banfield are midfield depth. Aish and Acres have played mid in pre-seasons previously. Valente, O'Driscoll and Western are developing. Walters is a possibility. Switta is a left field option to rotate in as well.

And then you have the myriad of defenders people on here would love to try out as mids.

There are options. Some might say none of them are good but that's how depth is described at every club. If they were better than depth, they wouldn't be depth.

Have not posted for years but I have an awful feeling we are going to do something very stupid.
Please please Dockers, go to the draft and build goal kicking strike power.
ignore Lachie he is not our problem he chose to leave

I joined BF years ago to get all the goss on the Josh Carr trade, I'm doing the same with Neale, and like you I'm very concerned Freo will pay overs.

It's bit hard to answer if you call people depth at best and then disregard them as options. That is the definition of depth. To come in if there are injuries to your first choice mids.

Tucker, Crowden, Blakely, Banfield are midfield depth. Aish and Acres have played mid in pre-seasons previously. Valente, O'Driscoll and Western are developing. Walters is a possibility. Switta is a left field option to rotate in as well.

And then you have the myriad of defenders people on here would love to try out as mids.

There are options. Some might say none of them are good but that's how depth is described at every club. If they were better than depth, they wouldn't be depth.

okay ill rephrase. Should anything happen to Mundy/Fyfe/Brayshaw/Serong are you confident in our ability remain competitive with any of the aforementioned players spending considerable time in the middle?

Being beaten by the likely premiers and then losing by 1 point after being shafted by the umps in the semi is nothing to be embarrassed about. Beats not making the 8 at all, that's for sure.
2 years wasted champ.

Last season, ****ed up at home.

This season you shouldn’t have even been in the top 4 except for an additional 24 seconds & you ****ed that up as well, at home.

QUOTE="Farmerwantsawife, post: 72052428, member: 93806"]
okay ill rephrase. Should anything happen to Mundy/Fyfe/Brayshaw/Serong are you confident in our ability remain competitive with any of the aforementioned players spending considerable time in the middle?
[/QUOTE]
Occasionally.

Back