Toast Lachie Neale

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't watch the game as closely when Haze was in his pomp as I do now . I've become more obsessive recent years. Watching replays over a couple of times to get the finer points. So I don't really feel qualified on comparing Haze and Lachie.
I think Barlow is probably better at getting his hands free from heavy tackles and getting one away and his vision is pretty good but I reckon Lachie would have him for sheer speed in spotting a target and getting the release.
He is bloody special. Incredible a kid this good can slide so deep in the draft.

It may have been different if he had played state champs.

I didn't watch the game as closely when Haze was in his pomp as I do now . I've become more obsessive recent years. Watching replays over a couple of times to get the finer points. So I don't really feel qualified on comparing Haze and Lachie.
I think Barlow is probably better at getting his hands free from heavy tackles and getting one away and his vision is pretty good but I reckon Lachie would have him for sheer speed in spotting a target and getting the release.
He is bloody special. Incredible a kid this good can slide so deep in the draft.

Lachie is a lot quicker than Haze. He surprised me with his pace when one of our defenders could not keep up with his man so Lachie put on his after burners and forced him into a quick kick. (I think this was in the Hawks game, but I could be wrong. )

Lachie is a lot quicker than Haze. He surprised me with his pace when one of our defenders could not keep up with his man so Lachie put on his after burners and forced him into a quick kick. (I think this was in the Hawks game, but I could be wrong. )
The conversation was referring more to his speed in decision making and with his hands. How he can grab the ball, see an opening and get it out. The sort of stuff Mitchell and Williams were famous for rather than running speed.

I could not split Lachie and Hase for handballing and positioning. Both just natural footballers in knowing where to run to get the ball, Hase very clean both sides, Lachie almost as clean but quicker reflexes.

General play Hase a better kick but obviously a fair bit slower than Lachie. Barlow is just a different beast really - uses his height to get to the handball away at the last minute.

The best thing for us now is that Lachie comes in behind Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Barlow in terms of players getting earmarked for attention. As our fifth best midfielder he can easily be the difference compared to the oppositions fifth best.

I could not split Lachie and Hase for handballing and positioning. Both just natural footballers in knowing where to run to get the ball, Hase very clean both sides, Lachie almost as clean but quicker reflexes.

General play Hase a better kick but obviously a fair bit slower than Lachie. Barlow is just a different beast really - uses his height to get to the handball away at the last minute.

The best thing for us now is that Lachie comes in behind Fyfe, Mundy, Hill, Barlow in terms of players getting earmarked for attention. As our fifth best midfielder he can easily be the difference compared to the oppositions fifth best.
Even if they do pick him up/give him extra attention, it then benefits one of the other mids you mentioned

massive lachie fan, but don't undersell haze. He was a pure footballer. Not necessarily the quickest hands but extremely good and the knowledge of where to put the ball. Unfortunately just as he was starting to peak he did his knee, plus the back issues, and really we didn't get the best of him for a prolonged period, despite this he would be one of our best in short history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at some premiership sides and the teams with great midfield trios always had quality support like Fletcher/Corey/Lappin etc, Lachie seems to me like he could be better than a mere support act though.

Freo's top five mids in order:

Fyfe
Mundy
Hill (rapidly overtaking Mundy)
Barlow
Neale (on his way to supplanting Barlow).

When Mundy retires, if Crozier can make the leap, or even Sutcliffe from HBF, that's a midfield good unit for the next five years. Average age of Freo's emerging midfield: 22.

Fyfe
Mundy
Barlow

When Mundy retires, if Crozier can make the leap, or even Sutcliffe from HBF, that's a midfield good unit for the next five years. Average age of Freo's emerging midfield: 22.
If Duffy comes on there's a fair chance you can add Michael Walters to that list of mids.

Fyfe
Mundy
Barlow

I'd have Barlow as our midfield MVP. Doesn't do a lot of the fancy stuff, but he keeps getting it and doesn't waste it. Every time a pack forms he is at the bottom shoveling the ball out.

Barlow
Fyfe
Mundy/Hill are about on par
Neale gaining fast

Fyfe
Mundy
Barlow

Not extrapolating anything further from this, but I wouldn't have expected to see you name Hill so high on such a list. When he's on song, I'd have to agree though.

I'm REALLY enjoying watching Sutty play lately. I'm not 100% sure why, maybe it's the sense of calm from knowing he's going to use the ball well and put it to our advantage almost every time. So clean with his disposal, he shows a lot of poise. Not bad for a pick 71.

massive lachie fan, but don't undersell haze. He was a pure footballer. Not necessarily the quickest hands but extremely good and the knowledge of where to put the ball. Unfortunately just as he was starting to peak he did his knee, plus the back issues, and really we didn't get the best of him for a prolonged period, despite this he would be one of our best in short history.

I agree and don't forget he was a very good mark for his size!

Yeh I would still have Hase in his prime versus Lachie, I was just comparing Handballing skills. Certainly Hase also had that brilliant overhead mark for his size as another string to his bow and was slightly better with knowing where to place his kicks in particular. But look at where they were drafted and Lachie is a very good player given what we used to get him versus Hase.

Interesting that in the projections for our future midfield neither Sheridan or Morabito get a mention. And for what it is worth, Simpson brings another dimension to our midfield which could make it deadly.

Interesting that in the projections for our future midfield neither Sheridan or Morabito get a mention. And for what it is worth, Simpson brings another dimension to our midfield which could make it deadly.
In an ideal world, they'd be pushing out the likes of Suban, ibbo, guys who rotate through the middle occasionally... maaybe guys that are getting a little long in the tooth too like Duffield, Crowley, Mzungu. It's hard to see guys like Sheridan & Mora force out the likes of Fyfe, Barlow, Hill, Mundy, Neale etc. At this stage. To say our midfield depth in the next few years is something to get excited about - would be a massive understatement, IMO.

There is also a beast called Ballard waiting in the wings and coming along quite nicely down at Peel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back