Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we need a coaches/game plan analysis thread?

The game review threads spend 95% of their time critiquing the players, with the remaining 5% split between umpires and coaching.

I think, we may need to give more attention to the coaching side of things. Maybe I'll go and bump El_Scorcho 's case for a 3rd tall thead...

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...e-heat-of-battle/story-fndv8s6g-1227293323861
Port Adelaide star Robbie Gray says his team needs to stand up better under the heat of battle
MIDFIELD dynamo Robbie Gray has turned the heat up on flag fancy Port Adelaide, declaring it needs to stand up better under pressure.

“The defensive side of our game didn’t stand up under pressure as well as we would have liked,’’ Gray said when the side returned to Adelaide from its tough seven-point defeat in Perth.
“The team played all right but our clearances and stoppage work weren’t as good as they could have been.
“We got touched up a little bit, especially in centre clearances, and we have to be better at standing up under finals-like pressure and the opposition’s defensive pressure and be able to distribute the ball better.
More...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/po...e-heat-of-battle/story-fndv8s6g-1227293323861
upload_2015-4-6_21-40-47.png
Robbie Gray gathers the ball for Port against Fremantle

So, a bit of a dilemma in my mind; Lobbe (26), Ryder (27), Redden (24).

I think the only way that you fit all three into the team is if Schulz (30 next month) or Westhoff (28.5) aren't in the side.

So, a bit of a dilemma in my mind; Lobbe (26), Ryder (27), Redden (24).

I think the only way that you fit all three into the team is if Schulz (30 next month) or Westhoff (28.5) aren't in the side.
Within a couple of years one of Sculz or Hoff likely won't be. Redden has plenty of time on his side.

Yeah I hate how Rohde kept signing up all of our best players on long term contracts :mad:

How angry were you when Polec got a three year contract today? I bet you threw your laptop through a wall. Maybe you'd be happy if we started employing all our players as casuals or shift workers?

Polec would have been out the door and playing for WWT next year if we didn't re-sign him in round 1. Good signing.

Does the fact that you are the one and only person on this board (and on this site, as far as I've seen) who views re-signing our best assets as a bad thing give you an idea of how ****ing stupid your opinion is?

Reasons to sign these guys early:
good news article on the website after a loss

Reasons to wait till their contract actually runs out:
injury
place in the team
form

the players want to stay, there is no reason for the club to bend over backwards and sign them all a year before their current contract runs out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wait and see what the best combo is, then trade the one you don't need at the end of the year and get a key forward

What key forward do you think are we getting in a trade for our 3rd ruckman?

If you can answer that, I'll slowly sift through the ridiculousness of the rest of your post.

Oh no! We've secured the core of our side for the medium term, making it easier for us to manage the balancing act that is the salary cap with a side in the flag window! Sack our list manager immediately!

Reasons to sign these guys early:
good news article on the website after a loss

Reasons to wait till their contract actually runs out:
injury
place in the team
form

the players want to stay, there is no reason for the club to bend over backwards and sign them all a year before their current contract runs out.

Actually the biggest reason to get them to sign 3-4 year deals is to have the salary cap under control with regards to front/back ending contracts.

The idea of players just playing for getting contracts is a mentality from loser clubs. These players should be playing to win a premiership, not simply to get signed for another year. Every single player in our best 22 would get picked up by another club if they chose to leave us, and I guarantee beyond any doubt there is significant sniffing around our currently unsigned players from other clubs.

Regarding injuries: are you actually suggesting that we only give players one year contracts, and that if they get injured we simply don't re-sign them? In other words, when Gray did his knee a few years back, it was actually remiss of us to sign him up for a new deal straight away?

Regarding place in the team: Polec is CLEARLY best 18, so this argument is just ridiculous.

In conclusion, we gain far more from medium to long term signings than simply doing year by year contracts. I really can't believe that anyone could see the opposite.

Actually the biggest reason to get them to sign 3-4 year deals is to have the salary cap under control with regards to front/back ending contracts.

The idea of players just playing for getting contracts is a mentality from loser clubs. These players should be playing to win a premiership, not simply to get signed for another year. Every single player in our best 22 would get picked up by another club if they chose to leave us, and I guarantee beyond any doubt there is significant sniffing around our currently unsigned players from other clubs.

Regarding injuries: are you actually suggesting that we only give players one year contracts, and that if they get injured we simply don't re-sign them? In other words, when Gray did his knee a few years back, it was actually remiss of us to sign him up for a new deal straight away?

Regarding place in the team: Polec is CLEARLY best 18, so this argument is just ridiculous.

In conclusion, we gain far more from medium to long term signings than simply doing year by year contracts. I really can't believe that anyone could see the opposite.

I am impressed with how out of context you were able to take my post.

What key forward do you think are we getting in a trade for our 3rd ruckman?
Depends. We don't know who our 3rd ruck is yet but if it ends up being Lobbe there would be plenty of clubs keen.

I am impressed with how out of context you were able to take my post.

Depends. We don't know who our 3rd ruck is yet but if it ends up being Lobbe there would be plenty of clubs keen.
That's not what I asked.

I asked what sort of KPF you think we'd get in a trade for redden/lobbe

Some nights you hop on the net, and a couple hours later can't shake the feeling you just got a fraction dumber.

This is one of those nights.

It's morning bro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back