Liam Jurrah back in jail

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an odd way of doing things, eh?

How many chances does one get before he potentially kills someone?

Clearly our prison system is useless at rehabilitating him.

2WsTdXWRWWSSPEIkGGeg_joke_over_head.jpg

Hence why I asked... I could certainly see some people saying that completely seriously.

Bit surprised by the lack of compassion here.

The only reason his imprisonment is reported is because he played football once, but the fact is aboriginal people are over represented in Australian jails. There are systemic problems that lead young indigenous people to a life in prison. Liam's another sad example of this.

Whatever demons he's fighting I hope he can defeat them. Unfortunately the prison system has failed to rehabilitate him already, and the truth is it's probably a little too late.
Melbourne tried to help, went walk about on them and committed more crimes.
Port Adelaide tried to help by bringing him back into the fold through the SANFL, again went walk about and beat up on people.

He's in jail because he is a dickhead and deserves to be there, no other reason. Most people would kill to of had the talent and opportunities he has had, instead he had it and just wants to kill someone.

How many chances does one get before he potentially kills someone?

Clearly our prison system is useless at rehabilitating him.
This sentiment has been mentioned a few times...

Its just like a drug addict, rehabilitation can only begin and become successful when the person involved is WILLING to be rehabilitated....
Best program in the world wouldn't work if he didnt want it to.

No sympathy whatsoever

. Most people would kill to of had the talent and opportunities he has had, instead he had it and just wants to kill someone.

I like that.

Hard to argue how this guy shouldn't be behind bars, absolute predator of a bloke, no doubt about that.

plenty of white people are in and out jail by by their mid 20's,so not always a culture issue.
Some people are just dickheads.

Whether or not it is a culture issue in this particular instance (does seem to be seeing though going home has caused most of his problems), there are certainly issues with some indigenous players playing AFL football. Some are extremely family oriented, some essentially don't have a family because of various problems. You send a 17-18 yr old kid away, tell him he's a star, and take that network away from him and it can cause issues and for whatever reason it does seem that indigenous players are more susceptible to it. It is the same sought of issue with African American sportsmen and money troubles. It is just a total culture shock and some don't deal with it. Then there is your point that some people are just douche canoes.

Melbourne tried to help, went walk about on them and committed more crimes.
Port Adelaide tried to help by bringing him back into the fold through the SANFL, again went walk about and beat up on people.

He's in jail because he is a dickhead and deserves to be there, no other reason. Most people would kill to of had the talent and opportunities he has had, instead he had it and just wants to kill someone.

In a lot of ways I'm kind of glad he blew up at the right time. I am not sure we would have tried a fix me up so quickly again with Krakeour had that one blown up in our faces. Even though it is early days for Krak, he is a shining example of what could have been.

Whether or not it is a culture issue in this particular instance (does seem to be seeing though going home has caused most of his problems), there are certainly issues with some indigenous players playing AFL football. Some are extremely family oriented, some essentially don't have a family because of various problems. You send a 17-18 yr old kid away, tell him he's a star, and take that network away from him and it can cause issues and for whatever reason it does seem that indigenous players are more susceptible to it. It is the same sought of issue with African American sportsmen and money troubles. It is just a total culture shock and some don't deal with it. Then there is your point that some people are just douche canoes.

Gotta be careful what I say here, but let's be honest, there are a lot of Liam Jurrah's in that part of the world. So culture is clearly a part of it, but at the end of the day, the guy is a timebomb. Get him off the streets.

Gotta be careful what I say here, but let's be honest, there are a lot of Liam Jurrah's in that part of the world. So culture is clearly a part of it, but at the end of the day, the guy is a timebomb. Get him off the streets.

At the end of the day, I worked in Alberton for about 5 years and I was as just as concerned about getting stabbed by the white yobbos as the indigenous yobbos. Intergenerational poverty, domestic violence, alcoholism, etc all tend to go hand in hand and breed more violence and yobbo behaviour. Meanwhile I live about 3 houses off the beach next to a upper middle class indigenous family that are awesome. Unfortunately, indigenous people are more likely to fall into poverty, have alcoholic/ absentee parents, etc and this is a tough cycle to break. Given His family seemed to be both involved in and the target of his machete attacks last time, it seems as though this is the case here. Having said that, he's 26, been given plenty of chances, and has been involved in stuff that can't really be written off as youthful indiscretions so I am all for throwing the book at him.

In a lot of ways I'm kind of glad he blew up at the right time. I am not sure we would have tried a fix me up so quickly again with Krakeour had that one blown up in our faces. Even though it is early days for Krak, he is a shining example of what could have been.
Unfortunately some of them just aren't smart enough to release that you will be lucky to get a second chance after that its all over.

I'm just waiting to see stories of Gartlett in the same situation. He got warned to clean up his act by not getting drafted, the following year Hawthorn took a punt on him and he pissed in the face, now no-one will look at him, no matter what he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this shows just how useless our prison system is. It seems like there is no real effort being put into rehabilitating him and people like him.

I doubt that Liam Jurrah has any desire to change. He doesn't need rehabilitation, he needs a cultural change. That won't happen while he remains within his culture. Perhaps you mifpght like to come to Central Australia and solve this problem.

I doubt that Liam Jurrah has any desire to change. He doesn't need rehabilitation, he needs a cultural change. That won't happen while he remains within his culture. Perhaps you mifpght like to come to Central Australia and solve this problem.
I would be incredibly unqualified for such a position.

How unlike you to make a racial generalisation.

All Krakouer did was fall out of love with footy and get fat. Hardly went down anywhere near the same dark path that Jurrah has.

Not at all trying to blame the Melbourne Football Club or the AFL for the poor choices Jurrah has made, but you do get a sense that he's been "corrupted" somewhat along the way. When he first got to the Demons, everything you heard about him was what a great community leader he was, how much his people mean to him, how he wants to set an example for them, and generally what a fine young man he was, shyness and cultural differences notwithstanding. Then after a couple of years, he just seemed to go stupid, for lack of a better description. Was it the lifestyle? Was it Melbourne? Was it the booze? Then again, he's now back in his home environment, playing footy, and is still acting up, so maybe this streak of bastardry was always inside him, and just needed particular conditions for it to be "unlocked".

There may have been cultural differences that affected him and the choices he has made, but the things he has done are not okay in any culture or looking through any sort of perspective, so (with respect) that's not really an "excuse" that can be leaned on.

Bloke really needs some serious counselling while he's locked up, to help him figure out what he wants out of life going forward.

All Krakouer did was fall out of love with footy and get fat. Hardly went down anywhere near the same dark path that Jurrah has.

I was more making a point about poor discipline and been willing to take a chance on someone that was a reasonable risk, wasn't trying to suggest that someone who played for us last week is going around machete chopping people.

Not at all trying to blame the Melbourne Football Club or the AFL for the poor choices Jurrah has made, but you do get a sense that he's been "corrupted" somewhat along the way. When he first got to the Demons, everything you heard about him was what a great community leader he was, how much his people mean to him, how he wants to set an example for them, and generally what a fine young man he was, shyness and cultural differences notwithstanding. Then after a couple of years, he just seemed to go stupid, for lack of a better description. Was it the lifestyle? Was it Melbourne? Was it the booze? Then again, he's now back in his home environment, playing footy, and is still acting up, so maybe this streak of bastardry was always inside him, and just needed particular conditions for it to be "unlocked".

There may have been cultural differences that affected him and the choices he has made, but the things he has done are not okay in any culture or looking through any sort of perspective, so (with respect) that's not really an "excuse" that can be leaned on.

Bloke really needs some serious counselling while he's locked up, to help him figure out what he wants out of life going forward.
The feud between two families in his hometown of Yuendumu was the main factor in driving him off the rails, it all went to pot for him after he was charged with assaulting a member of the rival faction with a machete. With regards to the grog, it seems Jurrah's mum & grandmother were instrumental in keeping him away from it while he was a youngster, and that he only started drinking regularly after moving to Melbourne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back