Coach Lions - Has the Fagan era already peaked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan Brown said at 0-3 that Collingwood’s era was over and they’d be a 1 and done side.

So at 0-3 can we say the Lions era is over and they’ve blown their only premiership chance last year?

If they can’t even win at the GABBA and having a terrible record away, can they even make finals now?

Don't know that last year is their only chance. It possibly is. They definitely aren't getting that close again with Fagan. He just isn't the man for it.

Last edited:
They got Gunston a couple of years too late.

Traded him back for Ryan, no world beater but who can take a contested grab. What is going on

It’s now seven seasons since the rebuild - 4 successive seasons sub 80% percentage for the season (my benchmark) their time is now, but won’t last long, will drop off fairly quickly soon

It seems they start games with laser like disposal, but as the game goes on, and maybe pressure picks up, they just boot it forward wildly. It’s amazing how those kicks go to the opposition even though your players aren’t that far away

Last edited:

Weird thread. Fagan is a gun, built a skilled list that makes finals despite #VICBIAS.

Very inconsistent at the moment but the coaching is tactically sound., they went inside 50 a lot more rhan us.

Motivation an issue, they are exactly where we were last week.

Of course we are 6 months away from the grand final, it's the longest season ever staged IIRC so there's time.

Sides that come out guns blazing may have mistimed their run: we were flying on the first 10 weeks and had a well publicised wobble vs Carlton mid year. We got back to fair firm but not the same by tge end.

Anyone writing Fagan off prolly needs to watch more footy. Brisbane are cold rn but not far away from it.

Think the Fagan era probably has already peaked insofar as I doubt the Lions make a grand final again with this list, but I’m not writing off their finals chances this year just yet. They’ll rattle off some wins at home at some point and scrape in to the bottom half of the 8 for mine. I just don’t see them doing much damage unless things change dramatically.

Rayner was pretty good tonight, 21 disposals and 2 goals.

Hipwood on the other hand...

Rayner should be one of your best players now. He isn't. He'll always tease.

Too many B grade players at Brisbane. The home ground advantage will always ensure you remain in the mix but other than that, a few teams flying past you now.
Better ruck stocks, tall timber and a midfield with at least 1 or 2 line breakers.

Dunkley, McCluggage, Berry, Neale, Zorko and that giraffe in ruck who is literally zero threat in the air for a player 6ft'9.

I don’t think they’re going to get near the pointy end without Coleman, too many smash kicks forward when they’re fatigued.
Last year was theyre chance but they let it pass them by.

There’s no way Pies would’ve beaten Melb or GWS without a CHF and losing a Key Def in the GF.

Not enough leaders, all sizzle and no steak.

Weird thread. Fagan is a gun, built a skilled list that makes finals despite #VICBIAS.

Very inconsistent at the moment but the coaching is tactically sound., they went inside 50 a lot more rhan us.

Of course we are 6 months away from the grand final, it's the longest season ever staged IIRC so there's time.

Sides that come out guns blazing may have mistimed their run: we were flying on the first 10 weeks and had a well publicised wobble vs Carlton mid year. We got back to fair firm but not the same by tge end.

Anyone writing Fagan off prolly needs to watch more footy. Brisbane are cold rn but not far away from it.

I dont think its his fault his players are kicking so badly. 2 games they should have won but threw away on the field.

If that gets turned around they are going to get back to smashing teams.

Too many B grade players at Brisbane. The home ground advantage will always ensure you remain in the mix but other than that, a few teams flying past you now.
Better ruck stocks, tall timber and a midfield with at least 1 or 2 line breakers.

Dunkley, McCluggage, Berry, Neale, Zorko and that giraffe in ruck who is literally zero threat in the air for a player 6ft'9.

We have a few players are looking unlikely to live up to their potential. Rayner, Bailey, Berry and Hipwood come to mind.

I think part of the issue is that we probably planned our defensive structure and transition with having Doedee, Coleman and McKenna in mind. Within the first month, the first two are out for the season, and by the time McKenna is back, he would've played 1 of the first ~8 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife isn’t really into AFL. But she saw Fagan in the coach’s box on TV last night and said to me, “what a sad looking man”.

To me the sadness reflects the fact he has no idea how to turn things around

He's not a gun. He's a complete tool..s**t bloke. Cranky. Not very bright.

Wasted his resources after going down the bottom and doing a rebuild.

His win % is heading down while Longmuir and Voss are on the upswing.

Neale, Daniher and Zorko all too old now.

They were garbage at home for years.

I see them heading back down the bottom soon after Neale retires. Bloke has carried them.

He's not a gun. He's a complete tool..s**t bloke. Cranky. Not very bright.

Wasted his resources after going down the bottom and doing a rebuild.

His win % is heading down while Longmuir and Voss are on the upswing.

Neale, Daniher and Zorko all too old now.
Clearly a very lucky man, to have such a dominant year while being cranky stupid and mean to those noble journos.

Probably stopped Hawthorn from winning 6 in row with his obvious stupidity when he was assistant to Clarckson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back