Lions much needed key forward

Remove this Banner Ad

McStay I think will be a key defender but Leppitsch seems to think he's better forward. Paparone the reverse. Paine is a lead, mark type forward and he'll be solid, but young key forwards aren't an issue at Brisbane.

I think McStay would make a credible third tall until/unless he bulks up. Paparone is more of a KPP-sized runner who isn't a great KPP. I'd like to see something of Paine but his injuries have just cruelled him - I'm really hoping he's got one more year on his contract. Freeman is a lucky dip, and as much as I love Close I just don't know if he's going to be a great forward any more. Hammelmann is pretty much irrelevant as he's not even playing the NEAFL strongly. We have a bunch of lottery tickets with varying degrees of paying out, but not close to one sure thing and maybe not even one close to a 50/50 chance of being that key forward. Schache would be that.

Lions needing a young key forward is a myth. Freeman, Close, McStay, Paparone, Paine, Hammelman are all players that are 23 and under that could turn out to be good key forwards. What they need is someone more mature aged like Schulz to let those players develop without being the #1.

McStay has shown some good signs and Freeman did last year. I believe they'll both become decent forward. Close has shown a bit, but even in his junior days he was crippled with injuries and has never shown much ability to kick goals. Paparone is a defender, not a KPP player at all. Paines moved to defence and has been injured this year, likely to be delisted. Hammer has shown some signs in the reserves, but he has a long, long way to go.

For what it's worth, I don't have much faith in Paine, Close or Hammer become AFL level forwards.

The way I see it, we've got McStay who at this stage is far better suited to the third tall role and Freeman who would be a Full Forward who can share some of the rucking duties. The club rates Close very highly, he is the only type we have that would be suited to the CHF role.

The best forward line with what we have in my opinion would be:

Mayes Close Robinson
Green Freeman McStay.

We probably need one more promising young forward in Schache and and a mature one like Dixon or Schulz.

I agree with the last bit of your post, we need an expirienced Key Forward to ease the pressure of guys like McStay and Freeman. Their performances should then also lift without the pressure of taking the best defender week in week out.

Would take a swap of 2nd round picks for Shoenmakers.

I know he's not high on everyone's wish list but he IS a forward. He takes marks he leads well he kicks straight (7.0 from set shots in 6 games this year of which 2 he's played defence)

Any interest at all?

Would take a swap of 2nd round picks for Shoenmakers.

I know he's not high on everyone's wish list but he IS a forward. He takes marks he leads well he kicks straight (7.0 from set shots in 6 games this year of which 2 he's played defence)

Any interest at all?

Academy bidding should have our 2nd rounder tied up, and most of our later picks too. Could see the club being interested as we will look at most players who can play KPF/D

Academy bidding should have our 2nd rounder tied up, and most of our later picks too. Could see the club being interested as we will look at most players who can play KPF/D

Is there a deal somewhere then. Shoey, our first and our Suckling pick (if he goes... Speculatively end of 2nd)

For Rich and sweetner?

Is there a deal somewhere then. Shoey, our first and our Suckling pick (if he goes... Speculatively end of 2nd)

For Rich and sweetner?

We could get Suckling for free so the deal essentially becomes Schoenmakers + 18 for Rich + Sweetner we need for Academy kids. No thanks.

We could get Suckling for free so the deal essentially becomes Schoenmakers + 18 for Rich + Sweetner we need for Academy kids. No thanks.

Read it again chief... I never said Suckling

For Rich and sweetner?

If Suckling went to you in FA is a good result for you I think

I also never said the sweetner was a pick, Brisbane supporters clearly know their list and needs better than I.

Is there a player that suffices as Sweetner?

Yeah, Rich is one we need to keep. Been carrying a hip injury all year along with some bad form. As a side, when we've got Beams, Rockliff and Redden on the inside, he's form should increase lots with them passing the ball to Rich and Hanley on the outside. Pity they all haven't played together enough to see it happen. Should find it easier with tags now that we've got Beams and Hanley in the side alongside him.

I hope Suckling stays at Hawthorn to be honest I don't think he's a player we need and can see him being another Malceski works well in a good club but he won't work hard enough for a poor one

I think that's actually a pretty good evaluation/comparison. I've said it before. At his best he is truly devastating at his worst he is a large liability. Any club that can't get the best out of him may get a lot of the latter.

Yeah, Rich is one we need to keep. Been carrying a hip injury all year along with some bad form. As a side, when we've got Beams, Rockliff and Redden on the inside, he's form should increase lots with them passing the ball to Rich and Hanley on the outside. Pity they all haven't played together enough to see it happen. Should find it easier with tags now that we've got Beams and Hanley in the side alongside him.

Clearly that's why he's worth a bit to us. I see him a great replacement for Mitch (if he stays on the park).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he ever did leave, I'd imagine it'd be back to WA. But he is well an truly settled in Queensland where he married his partner Lauren, who I also believe is from Queensland.

I actually asked him this a few years ago at a function when there were rumours he wanted to go back to WA. Admittedly I had a few sherbets and he said a very definite "No".

After that it got a little awkward. I kicked some stones. Someone else started speaking to him. He may have breathed a sigh of relief.

Schoenmakers would be an interesting back up target if dixon or others fall through. Experienced, strong (though not an immovable object) and clearly great attitude the way he's stuck it out at hawthorn.

Hawks might not want to lose him given lake, Gibson and hales age. But given his limited game time recently I'd have thought a 3rd/4th rounder would be fair but of no I terest to hawthorn.

Issues as noted above re:pick swaps given potential academy bids.

Schoenmakers would be an interesting back up target if dixon or others fall through. Experienced, strong (though not an immovable object) and clearly great attitude the way he's stuck it out at hawthorn.

Hawks might not want to lose him given lake, Gibson and hales age. But given his limited game time recently I'd have thought a 3rd/4th rounder would be fair but of no I terest to hawthorn.

Issues as noted above re:pick swaps given potential academy bids.

Yeah, pick 40 won't cut it.

Schoenmakers might be a decent target if we miss out on Dixon. First we've got to convince him to come and then we need to come up with a fair trade.
'I really, really hope Schoey stays at Hawthorn. I like him + he is starting to force his way into the best 22, need someone in case Roughead gets injured.

Don't know if I've already said this in this thread, but I reckon McStay can be a star KPF. Second year tall defender only just learning to play up forward, and doing pretty damn well. Has huge upside.

Don't know if I've already said this in this thread, but I reckon McStay can be a star KPF. Second year tall defender only just learning to play up forward, and doing pretty damn well. Has huge upside.
He's more of a third tall forward though I really like him but he needs help Freeman and Schache would be that help but only if the Dixon trade fell through

Do you think Brisbane would be interested in Walker from geelong?
It seems if geelong are serious about chasing Henderson and if clark plays a couple of years with stanley pushing forward also it's almost worth Walker leaving and trying to be the main target if not the second target at another club.
I'm not sure if hes contracted and maybe he is good mates with Christenson.
Geelong would let the trade happen for a 3rd rounder.
He's big, strong, extremely athletic and can take a pack mark.
Just dont see his future being at Geelong with all those other names I spoke of.
Especially the fact Hawkins just signed a 5 year contract.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Do you think Brisbane would be interested in Walker from geelong?
It seems if geelong are serious about chasing Henderson and if clark plays a couple of years with stanley pushing forward also it's almost worth Walker leaving and trying to be the main target if not the second target at another club.
I'm not sure if hes contracted and maybe he is good mates with Christenson.
Geelong would let the trade happen for a 3rd rounder.
He's big, strong, extremely athletic and can take a pack mark.
But just see his future being at Geelong with all those other names I spoke of
Especially the fact Hawkins just signed a 5 year contract.
Thoughts?
No he's more of a third forward which we already have in McStay we need a big key position forward hence why we're chasing Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back