Looking for casual work - what are the type of jobs to look at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of jobs for waiters/bartenders but they all seem to require a few years experience. Unless you're willing to fudge your resume you're probably looking at stacking shelves at Coles or something as your best bet. It's pretty tough even to find shitkicker jobs these days.
I work at Woolies. We recently put a job up for applications and got more than 200 applications :eek:
Said this another thread but umpiring sport can be pretty good money because they are harder to come by.

City or country?

Umpiring footy, if you're fit or wanna get fit, boundary umping is alright. I've heard the pay disparity in city areas though is massively weighted toward fieldies. A couple of hundred, then like 30 and 15 bucks for boundary and goals. Must be desperate.

The problem with umpiring footy other than the fact you need a degree of fitness and outside the AFL an understanding of the rules and a feel for the game is that footy goes for a few hours at a time so you want to make a decent hourly rate to give up a chunk of your weekend. If you're umpiring something like basketball or indoor soccer games only go for 40 minutes or so and are on weeknights so you can do a couple of games in an evening.

The problem with umpiring footy other than the fact you need a degree of fitness and outside the AFL an understanding of the rules and a feel for the game is that footy goes for a few hours at a time so you want to make a decent hourly rate to give up a chunk of your weekend. If you're umpiring something like basketball or indoor soccer games only go for 40 minutes or so and are on weeknights so you can do a couple of games in an evening.

Most leagues these days will pay over 100 for field work. 40+ an hour. It obviously doesn't compare to even a part time or casual job, but its extra cash in hand tax free, for whatever you may need it for.

If you can manage a game or 2 of seniour, then a fee juniours, could probaby make a couple hundred across a weekend for under 10 hours work.

Do you know how they screen those mass Woolies applications? They don't. Straight from the horses. They work off a computer reader and even that just seeks out certain words. Lie in your application - the interviewers won't even know who you are.

I was searching for four months for a job. Even got really desperate and was trying at really shitkicking places. Finally wrangled a job at a Woolies and it's great - week hours around uni, so I can study and go to the footy and have some beers, about $23.50 an hour, and stacking shelves is way too easy. You meet similar people as well and always have a laugh.

But yeah, it really is a terrible climate for jobs. I know people staying at their $18 an hour high school job just so they can keep one.

At the last hotel I worked at I'd get about 200 applications for every food & beverage attendant ad I'd put on seek. I'd screen them all manually, but each resume got about 15 seconds before I filed it as a "no" or a "maybe". The "maybes" got read in greater detail when I was ready to shortlist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back