Luke Hodge vs Nigel Lappin

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interested who were/are the Lions/Hawks top ten
i posted earlier re top 10 midfielders.V
good poll question Procrastinator35, surprised it hasn't been done before. i go with the original:) fab 4. on the fab 5-10, voss, akermanis, black, lappin, power, hart, ashcroft, copeland and floating through there mcrae and pike not too shabby, if they could time travel to todays style of game i'm sure they and others from that 01-03 era lions eg. the scott brothers would adapt superbly.
if Simon_Nesbit was talking top 10 overall i'd go with, in no particular order, voss, akermanis, black, lappin, lynch, brown, leppitsch, johnson, michael and keating.
unlucky- hart, power, scott brothers, bradshaw.

i'll leave it up to the likes of Lethality and Procrastinator35 to list the hawks in your question:)

i posted earlier re top 10 midfielders.V

if Simon_Nesbit was talking top 10 overall i'd go with, in no particular order, voss, akermanis, black, lappin, lynch, brown, leppitsch, johnson, michael and keating.
unlucky- hart, power, scott brothers, bradshaw.

i'll leave it up to the likes of Lethality and Procrastinator35 to list the hawks in your question:)
I didn't see the Lions win a premiership and the first one I can recall watching was the 2004 one which was the year I chose the Cats. But is Luke Power down that low cause he was only starting his career during 01-03 while the others excluding Brown were at the peak of their powers?

I didn't see the Lions win a premiership and the first one I can recall watching was the 2004 one which was the year I chose the Cats. But is Luke Power down that low cause he was only starting his career during 01-03 while the others excluding Brown were at the peak of their powers?
yer, 2004 was the only one i made the trip down from brissy to see live, we were in it until 5/10 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, ah well, just run out of legs and fit bodies in the end. have to be satisfied with just the 3 like the cats for the time being:). browny although young at the time was vital to our structure with the way lethal wanted the game played. power was good as well but of the 10 i named not 1 jumps out that luke would go in for.

So 2 games where Hodge was man of the match makes him the better finals performer than Lappin?

Out of 20 odd games, you judge off 2 games... Yeah?

Lappin had some outstanding finals games and just oh so consistent - he would have been in the bests in every GF and PF he ever played. May not have been a GF BOG but over the course of his finals career, he almost never put in a poor game; more consistent in this regard than Hodge for sure.

Nah, Lappin had plenty of quiet finals games.

19 disposals in the 2003 GF

He was among the best for his team in the 2003 GF. You really need to stop stat watching.

But your post goes a long way to prove my point. From all the 23 finals game he played, you've found 5 in which you question his statistical output (for whatever that is worth) - one of those he was actually in the the bests, one was genuinely average in a 12 goal shellacking at the hands of my team, and for the other 3 you had to go all the way back when he was a 19-21yo kid making his way; Hodge didn't play his first final until he was 23yo.

As I said, was in the bests every PF and GF he played. When it comes to the pointiest end of the season, Lappin was one of the most consistent players you will find. No point trying to talk him down in this regard.

Last edited:

16 disposals in the 2000 SF and 1999 SF
11 disposals in the 1997 QF
12 disposals in the 1996 QF
10 disposals in the 1995 QF

LoL....Way to kill the argument Podge.:thumbsu:....Those stats are shite.

But your post goes a long way to prove my point. From all the 23 finals game he played, you've found 5 in which you question his statistical output

6. That's over a quarter of them.

Lappin was one of the most consistent players you will find. No point trying to talk him down in this regard.

It's not talking him down, he just DID have his share of quiet games in finals. Maybe it's a feather in his cap that most of his quiet finals were semi-finals or Qualifying finals, but they were finals nevertheless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

16 disposals in the 2000 SF and 1999 SF
11 disposals in the 1997 QF
12 disposals in the 1996 QF
10 disposals in the 1995 QF
Yet, Lappin averages more disposals and goals in finals than Hodge... must be a few good games in between:thumbsu:

He played very well in the 2003 GF. He went into that game with a broken rib and was still one of our best... it was an amazing performance and should definitely not be included.

It's not talking him down, he just DID have his share of quiet games in finals. Maybe it's a feather in his cap that most of his quiet finals were semi-finals or Qualifying finals, but they were finals nevertheless.
5/23 is not a quarter...

By looks, Hodge has had 6/21 quite finals - that is over a quarter and more than Lappin!:eek:
15 disposals in the 2013 PF (15/383 = 3.92% of disposals)
17 disposals in the 2012 QF (17/352 = 4.83% of disposals)
15 disposals in the 2012 GF (15/336 = 4.46% of disposals)
13 disposals in the 2010 EF (13/345 = 3.77% of disposals)
16 disposals in the 2008 QF (16/347 = 4.61% of disposals)
8 disposals in the 2007 SF (8/331 = 2.42% of disposals)

In Hodge's quite finals games, he averages 4.00% of the teams possessions.

As for Lappin's percentage
16 disposals in the 2000 SF (16/277 = 5.78% of disposals)
16 disposals in the 1999 SF (16/282 = 5.67% of disposals)
11 disposals in the 1997 QF (11/272 = 4.04% of disposals)
12 disposals in the 1996 QF (12/275 = 4.36% of disposals)
10 disposals in the 1995 QF (10/298 = 3.36% of disposals)

In Lappin's quite finals games, he averages 4.64% of the teams possessions.

Even in Lappin's quite games he is touching it more than Hodge! For a 350 disposal game, that means Lappin averaging an extra 2.24 disposals per quite game compared to Hodge.

Hodge even has a quite GF and PF performance to his name:eek:

Good spot Leathality! Very interesting reading once you dig a little deeper than the nominal statistic figures

Lappin definitely in front there:thumbsu:

Yet, Lappin averages more disposals and goals in finals than Hodge... must be a few good games in between:thumbsu:

He played very well in the 2003 GF. He went into that game with a broken rib and was still one of our best... it was an amazing performance and should definitely not be included.

5/23 is not a quarter...

By looks, Hodge has had 6/21 quite finals - that is over a quarter and more than Lappin!:eek:
15 disposals in the 2013 PF (15/383 = 3.92% of disposals)
17 disposals in the 2012 QF (17/352 = 4.83% of disposals)
15 disposals in the 2012 GF (15/336 = 4.46% of disposals)
13 disposals in the 2010 EF (13/345 = 3.77% of disposals)
16 disposals in the 2008 QF (16/347 = 4.61% of disposals)
8 disposals in the 2007 SF (8/331 = 2.42% of disposals)

In Hodge's quite finals games, he averages 4.00% of the teams possessions.

As for Lappin's percentage
16 disposals in the 2000 SF (16/277 = 5.78% of disposals)
16 disposals in the 1999 SF (16/282 = 5.67% of disposals)
11 disposals in the 1997 QF (11/272 = 4.04% of disposals)
12 disposals in the 1996 QF (12/275 = 4.36% of disposals)
10 disposals in the 1995 QF (10/298 = 3.36% of disposals)

Even in Lappin's quite games he is touching it more than Hodge! For a 350 disposal game, that means Lappin averaging an extra 2.24 disposals per quite game compared to Hodge.

Hodge even has a quite GF and PF performance to his name:eek:

Good spot Leathality! Very interesting reading once you dig a little deeper than the nominal statistic figures

Lappin definitely in front there:thumbsu:
great post. during the run of 4 GF's only one mentioned as a bad game, and in that game he was one of the best. the massive increase in average possessions in the ensuing years is a big factor in comparing disposal stats from different eras, can't be done fairly except when done in percentage terms as you have done. but in saying that i think comparing raw stats is terribly over rated IMO, it's what you do with them that counts, and you can only judge that by watching the game.
on that note one of my favorite players in the game is cyril rioli, not a huge disposal accumulater by any means, but what he does with it and without possession is elite. if he was looked at purely on disposals in say 10/20 years people would say gee he was ordinary.

One of which he was in the bests. Three of which were when he was a kid.

So out of 20 finals played as a genuine senior player - the player we're talking about, not the kid version - he played 2 average finals, none of which were at the pointiest end of the season. It's a pretty high level of consistency in finals, particularly in PF's and GF's. Give him his dues podge.

It's not talking him down ...

See above. It sure looks like it to me, particularly when you're so willing to focus only on Hodge's good finals.

Very good post overall :thumbsu:

And let's not forget most of Lappin's quieter games were when he was just a pup, whereas Hodge didn't play his first final until he was 23yo (an age most come into their own) into his 6th season and with 120+ games under his belt. Going off raw averages, you'd actually expect Hodge to be well ahead given this discrepancy. It would be interesting to see all the figures you put up, but instead, tracking the stats from a similar post-23yo age bracket, so as to analyse their performances from more of a side-to-side perspective as senior players.

One thing is for sure, Lappin was a terrific finals player. This shouldn't be overshadowed by Hodge's aura.

I'll admit, Lappin is fit to shine Podge's boots....But lets not get ambition mixed up with ability....One's a leader of men, a general. The other isn't.

Hodge gets kudos for his leadership, no doubt, but don't just dismiss Lappin in the process; once Voss retired, Lappin was deemed the man most qualified to replace him as captain and held the post until he himself retired. No bones about it, this is one of the more reasonable Hodge vs the world polls that have appeared in recent times.

Hodge gets kudos for his leadership, no doubt, but don't just dismiss Lappin in the process; once Voss retired, Lappin was deemed the man most qualified to replace him as captain and held the post until he himself retired. No bones about it, this is one of the more reasonable Hodge vs the world polls that have appeared in recent times.

Really?....Once Voss retired at the end of 2006, Barney appointed 5 Captains in 2007 & 4 in 2008, prior to Brown taking over the mantle in 2009.

Ever heard of doing some research?

Really?....Once Voss retired at the end of 2006, Barney appointed 5 Captains in 2007 & 4 in 2008, prior to Brown taking over the mantle in 2009.

Ever heard of doing some research?

Meh. He was still a club (co)captain and remained so until he retired. You don't get this without being a leader of men. For sure he doesn't match Hodge in this area, as I've already noted, but give Lappin his dues.

He fulfilled 1/5 off the role 1 year, & 1/4 the next, at a club on the wane....As stated: A Lieutenant at best.

He was a leader of men and hence, assigned the role he was. Yes, not to the calibre of Voss, yes not to the calibre of Hodge, but for you to dismiss him the way you did was just more pump up your man, rubbish the other guy waffle. Ultimately, Lappin was a terrific player, big finals performer and a club leader. I voted Hodge, but it's probably the best poll involving Hodge that I've seen in recent times.

He was a leader of men and hence, assigned the role he was. Yes, not to the calibre of Voss, yes not to the calibre of Hodge, but for you to dismiss him the way you did was just more pump up your man, rubbish the other guy waffle. Ultimately, Lappin was a terrific player, big finals performer and a club leader. I voted Hodge, but it's probably the best poll involving Hodge that I've seen in recent times.

Yeah....nah

Hodge/Voss
Lewis/Lappin

Self-Evident.

And the fullness of time will bear that out....Too soon for too many salty posters, still licking their wounds.

One of which he was in the bests. Three of which were when he was a kid.

I'm sure we could find extenuating circumstances for every player's worst finals.

See above. It sure looks like it to me, particularly when you're so willing to focus only on Hodge's good finals.

Nah, I'm a Lappin fan, but we do have to correct the record, he had quiet finals.

Back