Mad Monday...

Remove this Banner Ad

It's obviously inappropriate, but I'm wondering who it would do more damage to. You'd think the victims wouldn't see what had happened to them as a joke, but they might not mind that image of Rolf in popular culture rather than the old one.
I don't think anyone should ever make a joke out of Child sexual abuse. Regardless of who's involved.

I heard that the Carlton team had a night out at Subway with a few meat ball 12 inchers and a few cokes.

Then they finished the night with drive to Timezone for some air hockey

They are a bunch of rascals at Visy Park arent they

To give two pretty clear examples. Just my opinion.

This is ok:

This is pretty poor:

I'm a big fan of Key & Peele, but I wonder whether this skit where Keegan-Michael Key is dressed up as a caricature of a Native American is offensive.

I heard that the Carlton team had a night out at Subway with a few meat ball 12 inchers and a few cokes.

Then they finished the night with drive to Timezone for some air hockey

They are a bunch of rascals at Visy Park arent they

Not naming anyone, but I heard a couple of them went home early with tummy-aches after one too many Sprite and ice-cream spiders.

Hence ill-advised. Unless he was consciously trying to evoke Al Jolson, I'll classify it as insensitive and ill-advised as opposed to racism.

I think a distinction needs to be made between "blackface" and "painting your face black". You shouldn't do either, but one is mocking a race for laughs, another is no different to any other costume apart from connotations relating to blackface.

Do you really think that he darkened his skin so that he could speak in broken english and portray Lebron James as a racial stereotype? now, I haven't actually seen any pictures or anything so I may in fact be talking out of my ass and he was doing that, but if he simply darkened his face and nothing else, I don't see his act as "racist" simply because others darkened their faces for a different purpose in the past.

I'm not defending blackface, or advocating doing it, but unlike calling someone an "ape", there are non-racist reasons for doing it, now they aren't paticularly good reasons considering the historical context (American history, but it's in our culture as well now either way), and you shouldn't do it but it doesn't make you a racist just because you're ignorant/an idiot.

The difference is there are more innocuous (albeit ill-advised) reasons to paint your face black, than calling someone an ape (as there are very few reasons to actually do this in a non-racist contexts, certainly not enough to outweigh the reasons it is racist, of course, it's debatable whether the racist connotations of blackface outweigh the non-racist connotations, but I would hope as a society we move towards phasing out racist connotations for acts which otherwise are not offensive.) All that said, I don't know what the intentions behind the Lebron costume, so take this as more general musings than commentary on this paticular costume.

Oh, cool. The racism was casual. I get it.

I know that you're not the usual mouth-breathing pile of s**t (your response was measured, intelligent etc.) that responds to these threads with the 'woe-is-me-I'm-white-and-I-can't-say-or-do-anything-these-days' diatribes but come on, man. I still can't agree with this point of view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10643917_1497434193835600_146983222_n.jpg

Viv Michie as a glassed Redfoo... witty, topical, nothing too attention seeking, original. Absolute gem. Freo should lament letting this guy go.

According to AFL.com.au WC didn't have a mad Monday, they had player interviews with the coach. I assune because of their performance this year.

Good.
maybe the same thing should take place at clubs like the demons and stkilda
instead of dressing up as pedophiles and setting dwarfs on fire:confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back