Marathon gaming sessions

Remove this Banner Ad

THRILLHO

Most Cromulent Poster
Apr 17, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was playing Assassin's Creed II the other night for about two hours, just running around climbing viewpoints and searching for glyphs. I was having a great time, but it made me think that these days I dont have the time to sink massive hours into games like I used to back when I was a teenager. Three hours is about the maximum amount of time I can sink into a game these days.

So, I thought it might be a good idea for a thread.

-- Goldeneye 007: When I was in year 5, I snapped my humerus in half and had to keep my arm immobilised for two weeks. My parents bought me an N64 and I quickly picked up Goldeneye. I vividly remember playing the game for the entire day, probably on Agent or Secret Agent, got up to the Train level and went outside for a break. Outside my eyes actually took awhile to adjust to the harsh sunlight :p

-- Perfect Dark: It's been 12 years and bots (or simulants :D ) still havent become standardised in multiplayer games. Spent weeks playing Capture the Case on Area 52 with bots. For a kid who didnt have many friends with a N64 or Perfect Dark, this was perfect. By the time I sold my 64 I think I got down to Veteran lvl 11 on the Combat Simulator.

-- Halo 2: When I think back to living on uni campus I think of 2007 and this game. Spent months playing this game, spent so long playing this game I was completely Korean at it. Probably the biggest session was when we woke up at 9am and played all the way through to about 2am, breaking for a quick lunch and quick dinner (college food provided). We used to play on mute with a special Halo playlist which I still have. Just mellow tunes like The Beatles, Sneaky Sound System, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Phoenix, MOS Annual 2007 etc. Sometimes we'd play Rodney Rude with a few beers. As good as online is in always being able to find a game, it'll never match the fun of playing with three mates splitscreen, knocking controllers out of hands, talking trash etc. I play Reach online, but it just isnt the same. Play for 3 hours and just get sick of it.

-- PES 4: To me, still the best soccer game ever. Went halves with a mate, ten bucks each, used to play 2v2. Was always pretty even contest. I was the best player, matched with my useless mate who would just use the one player and run him everywhere, against two other mates who were pretty equal. Easily the best memory was my useless mate taking a shot straight after the kickoff and scoring. We were all in tears laughing for about 5 minutes. We still crack this out occasionally, even though I own FIFA 11. The minimalist presentation style is ace. As is the commentary. Only thing I hate is that psychedelic field with the mown pattern looking like a hypnotic bullseye target. As the camera moved across the field, the pattern would rotate slightly making us nauseous. Those games were epic :D

-- GTA Vice City: All I can say is, wow. When I first played this game, I rented it overnight. Before I took it back at 6PM I had managed to clock up 24 hours gameplay. Had barely done any of the missions either. Just driving around, causing mayhem, listening to VCPR, laughing at the radio humour, laughing at mowing down randoms, laughing as I managed to score something like a 1200 degree spin on a motorbike because I hit a tree straight after taking off a jump. My dad never got into videogames, but I remember he sat there watching me play for a few hours. Not directly related, but one of my favourite video game memories was listening to Billie Jean and hitting that jump where you land on ammo-nation. Such a great game.

What about you guys?

It's funny i could have many gaming marathons that last a few hours (with a few breaks in between the action), over the last few years my "sessions" last maybe 30-45 minutes of an hour before a break (of 30 minutes to an hour or longer) before i resume. This is not due to fatigue on my part, but rather an attempt to not run either 360 or ps3 console into the ground. I squeeze in at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours most nights - but really over the last few years most of my console gaming has been on a weekend.

In terms of the games i played constantly and for very long periods:

Super Mario Bros 1 & 3 on the NES. It took me a long time to beat the original SMB (with warp zone assistance), it took a few years to master it enough to be able to get through the game without skipping any world's (the Castle in 7 - 4 was what held me back for so long!!).

Aussie Rules Footy was another game that held my attention for many months and years as it turns out. Even when i had the game mastered (score a goal every 7.... but usually 13 seconds!!). Even playing a multiplayer finals series was great stuff.

Ditto with International Cricket, fielding was very easy - setting a field for every contingency for every possible catching direction, and one for a diagonal shot turned easy runout.

On the Mega Drive i spent the most time with Sonic 2, Mortal Komat 1 +2 and NBA JAM TE.

On the Playstation it was Tekken 1 & 2, Need for Speed 1 & 2 and Shane Warne Cricket 99. I spent months, turned years with SWC (including the pc version), still the best cricket game i have played - of course the previous games in the series by Codemasters set up a huge platform, that hasn't really been followed well since. Had many system link battles with friends during school holidays playing DooM and C&C Red Alert.

PS2: Tekken Tag Tournament, GTA Vice City, Madden 2004, Tiger Woods 2004, Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth (best Smackdown game ever!!). I played it for years, even when HCTP and the Smackdown vs Raw installments came out. Fifa 2002 was my favorite fifa on that system and i spent a lot of time playing it (even when the later installments came out).

I could spend hours playing fighting games over the years, over the last few years my patience (and my wrists!!!) wear very thin, can only last 20 minutes before i want to have a break OR play something else.

Today with sports games i do like to play realistic franchise modes, but i do have an alternate franchise mode where i alter key aspects of the game (usually the quarter/period time limit), because of my limited time, i try to squeeze in as many games as i can. To do this i select the fastest (or almost the fastest) quarter length, in order to get through a few games within 30-40 minutes.... as opposed to 1-2 (or ZERO) games depending on the quarter length.

-- Perfect Dark: It's been 12 years and bots (or simulants :D ) still havent become standardised in multiplayer games. Spent weeks playing Capture the Case on Area 52 with bots. For a kid who didnt have many friends with a N64 or Perfect Dark, this was perfect. By the time I sold my 64 I think I got down to Veteran lvl 11 on the Combat Simulator.
entary. Only thing I hate is that psychedelic field with the mown pattern looking like a hypnotic bullseye target. As the camera moved across the field, the pattern would rotate slightly making us nauseous. Those games were epic :D

Me and me brother had many weekend marathons on PD, probably the longest was 13 hours straight, I ended up on rank 7:Killer when I retired my 64.

Such love for this game.

I threw down a good 16-17 hour session (midday-about 5am) on Resistance 2 when i first got it, a little SP with a dash of MP and co-op thrown in, oh and a couple of pit stops and little break to grab some tea.

I bought football manager 2010 just to see what it was like, started spending every waking hour on the damn thing (literally), it got so addictive i decided the only thing to do was to cheat and make it not fun any more, which worked

prior to doing this i was getting up for the day at about 9 with plans to do uni stuff (i was doing a masters at the time, so technically had no classes for the day) but would start this up and play it for what i told myself would just be an hour...3am would come round and i'd still be playing!

similar thing happened with europa universalis, brilliant game, but would regularly go from 7pm to 6am before deciding sleeping may be a good idea

Got my 360 with Oblivion on launch day and I think I put in about 60 hours over the next 4 days. That included sleep and a little bit of uni.

I remember trying to beat Horde mode on Gears of War 2 with some mates and we played for so long that one of them nodded off mid game

First it was Goldeneye, couldn't name you the amount of nights of sleep lost due to playing this with a bunch of mates hour after hour.

Then Shane Warne Cricket 99, such a good game and endless replayability. Again hours and hours lost due to playing it with mates.

The worst was probably any number of the Smackdown games. Spent hours just on the CAW section creating any and every wrestler we found on GameFAQs.com. Remember spending a few whole nights just creating wrestler after wrestler getting every feature right and spot on. Barely even ended up using them either!

Yeah my longest session was Speed Freaks :eek:

Me and a mate played it for 2 and a half days straight, with brief help at stages from his aunt haha.

I also remember around the same time Mortal Kombat 4 sessions lasting about the same amount of time, but that was with up to 6 or 7 of us.

Oh to be 15 again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marathon sessions where a regular occurrence for me when I was younger, but still occur a lot now.

Goldeneye 64 - Stole it off my neighbour and never put that bad boy down. I remember playing 4 player games on that thing for at least 8 hours straight with my mates after our u/12 footy games and stuff. Still comes out a lot now when pre-drinks are involved.

Mario Kart 64 - Have competed in that many wager tournaments on that thing with mates, we have had games where it was first to 100 wins on Moo Moo Farm and stuff like that. We also had a game where you MUST do the cheat jump on Rainbow Raceway each lap before you could finish, that single race lasted hours.

Star Wars Pod Racer - Played that game to absolute DEATH. I would play that game from 9am to 11pm easily once a week when I was a teenager. Could never beat one race on it, was called Abyss. I'll never forget it. Actually beat the stupid race about 6 years later though haha

Kobe Bryant NBA Courtside - Did easily over 200 seasons there, with playing every single game. Best was when you created a player who was 7"10 and could hit 3's from the other side of the court and run faster, jump higher, more stamina, more strength and stamina than anyone else in the game. You could never lose.

GTA Vice City - I had close to a 24 hour session on that game. I would do the Army Tank cheat, then drive around obliterating everything in site, hit 6 stars and lose the cops. One of my favourite things as well was hucking massive jumps in the Fire Truck cause that thing had wicked top speed. Never completed the game, got to the 2nd island and that was the end of me.

Call of Duty MW2 - My first ever FPS game, and god did I love it. My mates would always ask me to go out clubbing with them, instead I would stay home and play the game, got very serious. I played from 8am to 6am the next day once, was never able to crack the 24 hour mark on it, if more people would still play that game now there is no doubt in my mind I wouldnt be able to go 24 hours straight on that game.

Lots of love for Goldeneye in here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, being twelve and coinciding with the release of the Nintendo 64 made for a magical childhood. I actually feel sorry for people who owned PS1's as kids.

Oblivion was the last game where i thought i really should turn it off now (bout 9.00am till bout 2.00am) the next day was killer had to head down the shop for some clear eyes, looked like id been on the billy bong thorntons for a month straight.

now i just dont have the time 3 or 4 hours max these days(having ****in kids will do that),still havnt made it into the strip on new vegas yet and i normally love rpgs..

I'll show my age here... hours spent playing Gauntlet on the C64. Pitfall II was another (managed to complete it).

My cousin's parent rented him a WWF Superstars arcade machine for his birthday once. He had it for a week and we played the absolute s**t out of it.

In the NES/SNES days, my cousin and I would game for a couple of days on end. Completed Super Mario Bros 3 together, and would often go nuts and try and outdo each other in Super Mario Kart.

I used to have epic comps with Aussie Rules Footy on the NES and Alan Border's Cricket on PC. I had 20/20 cricket tournaments in the early 90s... I would bat first (reset if I didn't win the toss) and knock up a huge score and then swap teams and try and chase it down. I hate bowling in cricket games. Good times.

In more recent times, I went hardcore with GTA Vice City on PC. Hours on end and completed it (had an epic mission where I had to bust someone out of prison and get back to the safehouse... did it first go with four blown tyres just desperately trying to control the car!). Tried to do the same with San Andreas but lost interest with some of the plane missions.

Got a Wii 2 years ago and in that time have clocked Mario Kart, SMB Wii and Mario Galaxy 2. Played a fair bit of Bully as well, until it crashed during the psych hospital mission. Played Dead Rising until I had to collect bees or something and then gave up. Nothing else on the console really holds my interest.

Now have a PS3 and have rage quit the few games I've played (NBA2k10, I'm looking at you). Played a bit of Batman AA but it seems too paint by numbers.

Just waiting, painfully, for AFL Live 2011, so I can play the s**t out of it. I never got a PS2, so my last hardcore stint at an AFL game was AFL PE. Hurry the F up and get released dammit!

I played counterstrike obsessively for like 6 years. I would do 12 hour sessions 5 times a week and if I wasn't playing it, I was thinking about it. At one stage I had a permanent crosshair etched into my real life vision.

Best game ever.

Back when i had WoW....**** that game killed my social life for a year before i finally got rid of it.

Longest single session was easily 20hr+ and probably happened mutiple times.

I Played WoW for 37 Hours straight back in 2008. I was hallucinating watching my mouse grow legs and walk around my desk so I went to bed. I quit WoW a few weeks later after being banned for swearing. Haven't played it since.

Also mid 2009 sometime I played a CoD: MW marathon scrim lasting 24 hours.

I played counterstrike obsessively for like 6 years. I would do 12 hour sessions 5 times a week and if I wasn't playing it, I was thinking about it. At one stage I had a permanent crosshair etched into my real life vision.

Best game ever.
THIS. I remember having that real life crosshair as well, s**t got trippy. Wasnt normal walking around thinking how you would play out real life situations..So I quit playing.

Back when i had WoW....**** that game killed my social life for a year before i finally got rid of it.

Longest single session was easily 20hr+ and probably happened mutiple times.
It is something you hear way to often about WoW, never played it myself but geez some people really get addicted.

It is something you hear way to often about WoW, never played it myself but geez some people really get addicted.
It cant be underestimated how much that game ****s people up, i was lucky that i burned out quickly and selling my account instead of just stopping playing got rid of any cravings to go back.

These days if i have a day off i might play 4-5 hours of NBA2k11 or Madden franchise but thats as far as i go in my older age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back