Marc Murphy or Nathan Jones

Murphy vs Jones

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

another crappy bf poll where a carlton "a" grader is compared to another club "b" grader

then all other club supporters vote for the non carlton player

yes n jones had a cracker against murphy last week but jones could not have played a game to murphy's level last night

another crappy bf poll where a carlton "a" grader is compared to another club "b" grader

yes n jones had a cracker against murphy last week but jones could not have played a game to murphy's level last night
2 less touches, even clearances, 1 more goal and 7 more tackles to Murphy.

Murphy has had a slow slow start and his output not yet up to scratch however people seem to have short memories of what he is capable of. Jones is a good player but when MM is up and going, and lets hope he continues to track upward from his bulldogs game, he is simply a class above. there is a reason he was previously in a comparative poll with Selwood and Pendlebury

Hard to take you seriously if you think Jones is just a 'B' grader and that Carlton has a better midfield than Collingwood.

Depends if you rate leadership as a necessary a-grade attribute. If you do then Carlton had one a-grader in Judd and currently have none.

Excuse me !!!.

Murphy is a Carlton A (-) player, Jones is a Melbourne A (+) player.

The question is what would happen if you swapped the players teams ?. I know that Jones would work very well in the Carlton midfield, giving them some grunt and intestinal fortitude. I know that Murphy would need a life jacket at Melbourne.

Natural talent wise, Murphy is miles ahead of Jones. Production wise, I think Jones is pumping out 100% weekly, Murphy sometimes seems to run as a 4 cylinder out of 8.

Murphy is not an a-grader. Jones probably is. Carlton supporters itt seem to think that one good game in 3 seasons gets Murphy over the line. Everyone else disagrees and the proof is in the poll results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I refuse to sabotage my own team for the third year in a row by going anywhere near marc murphy.

As far as real world, i wouldnt like either, i suppose i would choose whoever was younger if my hand was forced

Interesting! The biggest difference statistically seems to be Jones winning more uncontested possession. Not what this thread would have one believe.
When a player who has demonstrated time and time again they are willing and able to win the hard ball, I see high uncontested numbers as a positive. Jones is working his arse off.

Interesting! The biggest difference statistically seems to be Jones winning more uncontested possession. Not what this thread would have one believe.
0.4 more contested too, so he's doing as much as Murphy in tight and far more when he gets the ball in his hands too. Hence why Jones averages just under 30 touches and Murphy just under 24.

0.4 more contested too, so he's doing as much as Murphy in tight and far more when he gets the ball in his hands too. Hence why Jones averages just under 30 touches and Murphy just under 24.

0.4 more contested is pretty negligible, 2 more over the first 5 games. As I said, the biggest difference statistically, is uncontested possession. Going by the stats, Jones doesn't do any more when he gets the ball in his hands. Murphy has a higher DE%, kicks more goals, Jones makes up with more assists. Not much difference. Those extra touches are uncontested. What it likely means is that Jones is spreading better and running harder, but Murphy has probably been tagged harder this year, so he might be running just as hard, just not getting free from his man to take possession.

I just find it interesting that they're pretty similar in terms of contested possession, and Murphy ahead on tackles, because the general sentiment on BF is that Jones is a tough nut and Murphy an uncontested front runner and the stats don't seem to back that up.

another bog performance from the AA ... no doubt behind closed doors if given the choice all club recruiters would take the class of murphy over the hard working but limited n jones

another bog performance from the AA ... no doubt behind closed doors if given the choice all club recruiters would take the class of murphy over the hard working but limited n jones

Interesting again stats wise. Jones had 33 touches, 25 of them uncontested. Murphy had 32 with 14 contested. Murphy laid 11 tackles and had 9 clearances. Jones 7 tackles and 3 clearances. Yet most seem to place Jones as a grunt player and Murphy as an outside mid. Was a great captains game by Murphy tonight when we had a bunch of hard working mids missing through injury. Slowly drawing back the gap in this comparison I reckon.

Interesting again stats wise. Jones had 33 touches, 25 of them uncontested. Murphy had 32 with 14 contested. Murphy laid 11 tackles and had 9 clearances. Jones 7 tackles and 3 clearances. Yet most seem to place Jones as a grunt player and Murphy as an outside mid. Was a great captains game by Murphy tonight when we had a bunch of hard working mids missing through injury. Slowly drawing back the gap in this comparison I reckon.

it was never close ... just the anti-carlton vote distorting nos.

It seems this poll result has the Carlton fans a little angry. I don't really need stats to tell you Jones is a better contested ball player than Murphy. I just watch them play. All due respect to Murphy's stats, but they don't change that opinion, not for anyone watching.

He had a terrific game tonight though. I would never have guessed he had 14 contested touches, and that makes me wonder how exactly they are qualifying it. But his work-rate was exceptional and he bobbed up every time Carlton needed him to. The fact that Selwood was barely ever anywhere near him reflects badly on the tagging job, but also positively on Murphy for putting the miles in. Much like Harvey last night. That goal he kicked with the side-stepping was beautiful, there's obviously no way Jones could do something like that.

Didn't see Jones' game so can't compare the two.

I don't really need stats to tell you Jones is a better contested ball player than Murphy. I just watch them play. All due respect to Murphy's stats, but they don't change that opinion, not for anyone watching.

And what I'm saying, is that the stats are interesting in that they contradict this common perception. Murphy with more contested ball, more clearances, more tackles and more stoppage wins this week. While it shouldn't change anyone's opinion, at some point you've got to ask yourself how valid is your perception when a number of objective measure's suggest it warrants a closer look. I watch a lot of Murphy, so for me it's always been obvious that those calling him an outside mid are missing something. Tonight he did it all, inside, outside, tackling, kicking a great goal. Was a very well rounded game.

Back