Marcus Bontempelli Vs Patrick Cripps

Which player will have the better individual career?

• Marcus Bontempelli

• Patrick Cripps

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet to see explosiveness from a contest from him, etc break a tackle, take a bounce, deliver with penetration inside 50, that's what explosive mids do regularly.

He's not underselling Cripps at all, that's the correct comparison at this current time based on what Cripps has shown in games so far. JPK is the premier big bodied inside mid in the league and has been the last 4 seasons, starting from 2012.
You should go an watch his highlights then ;)

For a kid who's played like what.. 20 games? He is, without sounding silly "next level".

Bont is next level too, ive maintained that this whole thread. But there isnt that much of a difference between the two now. And thats mainly because Bont is more experienced. And there wont be a lot between them at the peak of their careers.

As you say Bont will be the Fyfe/Pendlebury/Dangerfield type. Cripps - he may be a type we've never seen before. Not only an elite clearance player like JPK but mixed in with S. Mitchell/Diesel Williams vision and creativity mixed in with some explosive breakaway ability. Really exciting times.

some explosive breakaway ability
I would say he's a more accomplished contested mark than an explosive pack buster. If he develops that game then he'll be an unstoppable beast.

Watched quite a bit of him this year because you lot were always on FTA, won't get to see much of you next year though as you'll be on foxtel regularly.

For a kid who's played like what.. 20 games? He is, without sounding silly "next level".

Bont is next level too, ive maintained that this whole thread. But there isnt that much of a difference between the two now. And thats mainly because Bont is more experienced. And there wont be a lot between them at the peak of their careers.

As you say Bont will be the Fyfe/Pendlebury/Dangerfield type. Cripps - he may be a type we've never seen before. Not only an elite clearance player like JPK but mixed in with S. Mitchell/Diesel Williams vision and creativity mixed in with some explosive breakaway ability. Really exciting times.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. His kicking is ten times worse than Mitchell's and he has no breakaway ability. JPK is the perfect example and I don't see why you are not happy with that?

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. His kicking is ten times worse than Mitchell's and he has no breakaway ability. JPK is the perfect example and I don't see why you are not happy with that?
Yep i'll trust your word for it... you'd have seen so much more of him than me.

(Oh and I also said his creativity and vision were Mitchell/Diesel like, i never suggested his kicking was the same, kicking isnt Cripps' best skill but its certainly not 10 times worse than Mitchells)

Oh and also kicking isnt the be all and end all - Fyfe is the best midfielder in the game and his disposal by foot is standard at best, mediocre at worst.
I never said it was but comparing him to Mitchell when Mitchell is one of the best kicks in the game and cripps is below average is ridiculous.

I never said it was but comparing him to Mitchell when Mitchell is one of the best kicks in the game and cripps is below average is ridiculous.
Do you not understand the concept of traits or parts of a game. No two players are a like so i was drawing comparisons of specific aspects of Cripps's game that he excells at and other players who have similarly excellent skills in that area.

Once again - never compared Cripps and Mitchells kicking... do you need a hand bro?

Do you not understand the concept of traits or parts of a game. No two players are a like so i was drawing comparisons of specific aspects of Cripps's game that he excells at and other players who have similarly excellent skills in that area.

Once again - never compared Cripps and Mitchells kicking... do you need a hand bro?
I have mitchells creativity doesn't mean two flying *s if I cant ******* use the ball.

I have mitchells creativity doesn't mean two flying ****s if I cant ******* use the ball.
Settle down, i can see thinking makes you hurt a little. Hence why i described other aspects of Cripps game that he excels at - clearance work and breaking/standing up in tackles. I didnt even mention his handballing ability which is entirely supreme.
Cripps uses his vision and creativity to make space and find space, something Mitchell made his career out of - calmly stepping a tackle and moving out into space or even just standing still for a moment to offset the flow and get free. Where Cripps also uses his vision is his handpassing of which he can find a player and set them up into space perfectly, he does this creatively and accurately, very Diesel esque.

And again as i said. The best midfielder in the game is an average kick so its obviously not the be all and end all.

Settle down, i can see thinking makes you hurt a little. Hence why i described other aspects of Cripps game that he excels at - clearance work and breaking/standing up in tackles. I didnt even mention his handballing ability which is entirely supreme.
Cripps uses his vision and creativity to make space and find space, something Mitchell made his career out of - calmly stepping a tackle and moving out into space or even just standing still for a moment to offset the flow and get free. Where Cripps also uses his vision is his handpassing of which he can find a player and set them up into space perfectly, he does this creatively and accurately, very Diesel esque.

And again as i said. The best midfielder in the game is an average kick so its obviously not the be all and end all.
Cripps would be lucky to get to JPK's level. He excels in all of those areas and his handballing is hardly supreme, it is very good but would struggle to be in the top 20.

Cripps would be lucky to get to JPK's level. He excels in all of those areas and his handballing is hardly supreme, it is very good but would struggle to be in the top 20.
Who? Patrick Cripps handballing? It is Diesel Williams level.

Everyone has opinions and your is base on imagination.

I am happy to claim he is the best handballer in the league

Cripps' handball is elite. But yeah, most players would be lucky to get to JPK level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps has a lot of weapons and will be a gun no doubt, but explosive breakaway pace is not one of them. He's about average pace for a midfielder- Danger, Ablett, Judd, Shuey have/had breakaway speed. Cripps isn't close to them in this regard.

Cripps has a lot of weapons and will be a gun no doubt, but explosive breakaway pace is not one of them. He's about average pace for a midfielder- Danger, Ablett, Judd, Shuey have/had breakaway speed. Cripps isn't close to them in this regard.
I think there is a serious difference between speed and breakaway ability. Cripps is definitely not a sprinter. But breakaway ability is about putting that energy into the turf over the course of about 2-3 steps to break past an oponent or out of a pack and open the game up.

I saw Cripps once or twice this year do just that - make some serious ground in three or so steps. His height and long legs help him here. If you go and watch his season highlights on Carlton's website or Youtube you'll see him chase someone down and tackled them from behind- i cant remember exactly who he tackles - but he makes up about 5m's of space in literally a split second. He's not there and then he is and he's making the tackle.

Its this vision and other times ive seen him break away from packs that lead me to think he has the strength and power and explosiveness to make that distance in a short period of time. Or at the very least its a trait that will develop and increase as he plays. Remember he's only played like 20 games (JPK was playing for Box Hill at that stage of his career and look where he is now).

So that's what im talking about with that breakaway speed. He's not Chris Yarran or Shaun Atley fast but he does have breakaway ability.

Who? Patrick Cripps handballing? It is Diesel Williams level.

Everyone has opinions and your is base on imagination.

I am happy to claim he is the best handballer in the league

LOL! Blowing your load a bit early there champ. Cripps is a decent little player but geez some of you Carlton flogs overrate him. Best handballer in the league! I've heard it all now.

As for the poll, Bontempelli without a moments hesitation.

Cripps from what I have seen could be a very special player. His awareness, explosive first 5m, ability to stand up in a tackle and also lay some great tackles, vision and excellent skill set and ability to deliver the ball with precision under pressure is some of the best I have seen from a young player. He has shown snippets of each of these traits but needs to be able to add consistency and the ability to display all these in the one game at least. Still very young but has time on his hands. He just has that something about him that you only get a few times a generation.

While I voted Bontempelli I do rate Cripps very highly. I thought he was slow, but was surprised to see him burst clear from a stoppage at excellent pace during his BOG performance against my mob at the G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back