Marcus Bontempelli Vs Patrick Cripps

Which player will have the better individual career?

• Marcus Bontempelli

• Patrick Cripps

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming from the guy who thinks Hampson should be a top 8 ruckman. Opinion discarded.
How are you going to discard the other 265 opinions? Stalk all their pages individually and take something they've said out of context as well?

I understand that you guys have absolutely nothing going for you at the moment (and probably for the next twenty years) but your delusion is nothing short of embarrassing. Bonts won in a landslide champ, deal with it.

When I read this I automatically thought of this play (then discovered he kicked it on his left foot, not right):

Interestingly the AFL prospectus names Bonti as 'the most underrated player in the competition'.
It notes his one on one record is 47% (double the AFL average and #3 in the competition, behind only Gary Ablett and Dustin Martin), and his metres gained average is 400 metres (the only inside mid in the competition to record this number, and the only one in the top 30 - others mostly outside bank flanker types).

Bontempelli is so elusive if he jumped in the ocean he wouldn't get wet.
I haven't seen a player this good at the Dogs since..... mmmmmmmmm.... never

He's your best player ever? That really is somethin'

Massive call by me but of the best Bulldogs we've seen since 1985 (Hawkins, Grant, Johnson, Brown) Bontempelli probably sits just behind Grant.
The scary thing is that Stringer could be better than Bont and they're in the same team!

Massive call by me but of the best Bulldogs we've seen since 1985 (Hawkins, Grant, Johnson, Brown) Bontempelli probably sits just behind Grant.
The scary thing is that Stringer could be better than Bont and they're in the same team!

He's played 2 seasons ... jumping the gun more than a little :eek:

I've watched a lot of footy over a number of years and there is literally only one player I have seen that could actually execute that regularly. He even happened to play for your mob in his twilight years but it ended on a sour note. Bontemepelli does not dance through people, run 15m and deliver a 55m pass on his right foot. I've literally never seen him attempt let alone execute a 55m pass on his non-preferred. So when you ask whether Cripps can do it, I ask you whether Bont can do that?

I'd take Bontemeplli over probably any player in the league for the next 10 years other than Fyfe so he gets my nod. I wouldn't be surprised if both become top 5 players in the league but Bont seemingly has more strings to his bow.

You don't really watch much footy do you?

Dancing Doug Hawkins was pretty bloody good in the mid-80's and would still be the best Bulldog I've seen. You blokes are lucky to have both Bont and Stringer to get excited about. Either or both could be top 5-10 players in the comp at some point in the future.

You don't really watch much footy do you?
Please tell me who besides Aka could dance through opponents and deliver a 55m pass on their non-preferred with any sort of regularity? Literally can't think of anyone else although I may have forgotten 1 or 2.

Seems they can both claim this string now ;)

Told you ya went too early on this call.

Cripps is like Gibbs being given a spot in the Blues' leadership group before he'd played a game ;)

Bontempelli is in the leadership group of a club not in shambles under the leadership of one of the best captains in the league

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a bit rough ManOfClay, wasn't too long ago we were a club in shambles without a captain. It can change quickly.

Good on Cripps for making into the leadership group, he's a star. They both are. I'm confident they both will be top 5 midfielders in the league at some stage. Bont has a couple more weapons though IMO

Congratulations to Patrick Cripps for his elevation into the 7 man leadership group at Carlton for season 2016. At age 20, Cripps is the youngest member of the player voted group led by Captain Marc Murphy (28yo), Vice Captain Kade Simpson (31yo), incumbent leader Bryce Gibbs (26yo), returning leadership group member Andrew Walker (29yo) and new leaders Ed Curnow (26yo) and Sam Docherty (22yo).

Hence the ;)

So, all square on "leadership" at this stage of their careers.

One way of trying to get some objectivity is to look at an independent qualitative assessment of the games of each player in 2015.

Going to the Inside Football player ratings, Bontempelli scored (in 21 games): http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/117900/Marcus-BONTEMPELLI
8 two times;
7 nine times;
6 four times;
5 three times;
4 twice; and
3 once (the rnd 8 Melbourne game when Vince pantsed him).

Cripps scored (in 20 games):http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/118894/Patrick-CRIPPS
9 once;
8 twice;
7 five times;
6 five times;
5 four times;
4 twice (noting on both occasions that he had suffered injury).

Going by this game by game assessment, it can be said that Cripps best (a 9) has been better than Bont's best (2 8s) and Bont's worst (a 3 and two 4s) is worse than Cripps worst (two 4s, but both scored with injury being noted).

Those ratings, while "independent" don't seem to be any better than an opinion on here. Still very subjective.

For example Cripps gets a 5 and "a young midfielder did a few things" for a 14 disposal, one clearance, five contested possession, one inside 50, three tackles and no one percenter game vs Richmond in round one. Carlton lost too

Meanwhile Bontempelli (a younger midfielder than Cripps) scores 5 for a 17 disposal 1 goal, four inside 50, 3 one percenter and seven tackle game against the crows in round 4: a Bulldogs win

Bontempelli seems to be judged harder because of his exposed form

The fact that an independant source rated Cripps higher over the course of the year yes.

Two thirds of voters in this poll have rated Bont higher. A vast majority independent of both dogs and blues. So many more independent sources.

And definitely not all as fallible as the independent source you are clinging to, which I blew out of the water with simple research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back