News Mark Blicavs

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people need to remember Mark has been a middle distance runner not a sprinter, so I' not so sure he brings speed, but def. endurence. He also knows what is required to be an elite sportsman. I did hear he had won a B&F in footy as a kid. Can't wait to see how this gamble works out, the club has nothing to lose.

Exactly.

Comes from elite parents and is obviously a fine athlete. You would have to say though that this is a monumental gamble.

Good luck to the kid but I would think the odds are against him.

Comes from elite parents and is obviously a fine athlete. You would have to say though that this is a monumental gamble.

Good luck to the kid but I would think the odds are against him.

I wouldn't say it is a gamble, not for Geelong anyway, not really. I mean he is outside our list, so not taking a spot from another prospect. Sure he is being paid, so their is a cost there, both $$$ and resource wise. Odds are definitely against him, no doubt there, but the way i look at it is that he is a 'free' bet - no outlay and not very likely to even see a return - but if we do it is all a bonus! I am just interested to see what part of the ground he lines up in, and what type of skill-set he has. I would not be surprised if he becomes an absolute steal :)

I saw him listed at 198cm, can you imagine a guy that big flying down a wing like I've seen Joel Corey do at 2x the speed, lets just hope he's got the passion for the pill like Joel has.
And don't worry about middle distance runners not having speed, way faster than a quick footballer that's for sure. These guys can run sub 50sec quarters, that's quick.

I wouldn't say it is a gamble, not for Geelong anyway, not really. I mean he is outside our list, so not taking a spot from another prospect. Sure he is being paid, so their is a cost there, both $$$ and resource wise. Odds are definitely against him, no doubt there, but the way i look at it is that he is a 'free' bet - no outlay and not very likely to even see a return - but if we do it is all a bonus!

The last free bet I had that involved Geelong won me $500 so I am fairly optimistic about it all. :p:thumbsu:

I wonder how many of these Circus act type players have made it to being regulars. Not too many Jim Stynes out there.

Smooth mover.. probably. How will handle getting treated like the drywall in a Clarkson coaching box..thats the question.

As we know he's a project player. This is a philosophy the club intends pursuing. Of all the diverse sports the recruiters looked at for a project player Blicavs came through as the one most likely to adapt to aussie rules. Good luck to him but we shouldn’t expect much in the short term.

More than 4 years from memory

U14's since he last played. So about 7-8 years.

Hope he can make the most of it. Used to train with him. Great guy. And he's a middle distance runner, so while no slouch, I wouldn't have thought speed is going to be that much of a strength, as some posters seem to think.

He was interviewed pre game (mid week) by channel 7. And shown at 1/2 time. They then interviewed him at 1/2 time after.

Amazing confidence really.
I'm not joking. He is almost more comfortable in front of the camera than Ling.

Said he had a bad 1st half. (ran around like a chook with his head cut off)
And stuck some good tackles in the 2nd half.

They showed one or 2 highlights and his reflexes were crap.
He actually came across as someone who is loving the environment. But also as someone who doesn't give a s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was interviewed pre game (mid week) by channel 7. And shown at 1/2 time. They then interviewed him at 1/2 time after.

Said he had a bad 1st half. (ran around like a chook with his head cut off)
And stuck some good tackles in the 2nd half.

They showed one or 2 highlights and his reflexes were crap.
He actually came across as someone who is loving the environment. But also as someone who doesn't give a s**t.

Hmmm.....not sure thats a great combination??!!

Yeah I am not sure. He just seemed wrapped to be there. I was actually laughing after the interview.

I really think he needs a year. He has not kicked a footy for 7 years ! He is a big boy, so he looked lumbering.
There was no speed at all when he received it.

Honestly, I have no idea what to make of it.

i thought the same thing, a world of difference to the young uns on tac cup stars show on 9.

and hammer could have been a olympic contender as well as wimbledon champ if not for a bung knee.

Did anyone watch the VFL game today who can let us know how Blicavs went?

Started off very shakily. There was a marking contest in the 2nd or 3rd term he could've won if he extended his arms, but seemed to be more concerned about self preservation and didn't go for it, which I guess is to be expected when you have been out of the game for as long as he has. He was a bit fidgety below his knees too, but I guess that's too be expected for someone 198cm tall. To his credit though, there were one or two occasions where he got fidgety, but never gave up and did his best to nullify the situation by either paddling the ball out of bounds, or locking it in for a ball-up.

Don't think he had his first possession until midway through the last quarter, but he did take a good mark on the Hickey Stand wing and his foot skills seem pretty good.

All in all, he'll probably be better for the run, and he should start showing more once he gets more confident, and his teammates get more confidence in him.

For a guy that hasn't played in years and years. He wasn't a disgrace. Actually I was shocked with how well he looked. He got burnt heaps by his teammates when he worked hard to create. But spose that's to be expected. Could turn out to be a gem.

i thought the same thing, a world of difference to the young uns on tac cup stars show on 9.

and hammer could have been a olympic contender as well as wimbledon champ if not for a bung knee.
lol

In the interview I thought he seemed pretty nervous and tried to hard it by being a 'jokie'. Didn't get the impression about not giving a s**t at all. Also I think he knows a thing or two about what sort of commitment you need if you are to succeed.

But also as someone who doesn't give a s**t.

That is garbage.

Blicavs spoke really well, he seemed super happy and knew exactly where he was at football wise.

In case it has not been mentioned Cam Guthrie's old man was the one who encourage him to go down to the club and have a trial.

Also that little joke challenge that he did when he slotted the long goal, his kick looked a lot better than I expected.

Elite runners don't come from the usual footy club environments and can generally articulate a little better than the usual "yeah na's" we're used to hearing.

That could appear arrogant to some I suppose?

When I listened to his interview he seemed more concerned about not stuffing up considering the importance of the game to the team, quite the opposite of not giving a s**t I would have thought.

Raptor Roj has a huddle photo of both Blicav's and Bourke, two very nice sized boys, very impressive.

I knew both of his parents when they were playing in their respective national basketball leagues. Trust me, that kid will not be lacking in professionalism nor endeavour. His mum was a post player (they're the ones that do all the body on body smashing work closest to the hoops) and she was brutal. Brilliant player, delightful off the court, but utterly fearless and so ferocious once the game was on that even spectators would come out in sympathy bruises.

His dad was more a swingman, and had some real flair and panache. Like his wife, he also won at least one national championship at St Kilda (although Andy was an Adelaide boy, who grew up playing in a Latvian club called ASK - now long gone). The genes are fantastic for Mark, and added to the sheer athleticism of his parents is the fact that both of them knew exactly what was required to win at the highest level of a team sport.

This would not be lost on Mark. He's a project, sure, but gentically and environmentally he is top shelf, and I have no doubts whatsoever that with the culture and coaching availble to him in Geelong (of all places) the evolution of his inherent talents will see him will emerge in a couple of years time as one of the most astute and sheer rat .... no, make that cat .... cunning pieces of recruitment in the AFL since, well, James Podsiadly.

To say Mark doesn't give a sh*t is a joke.. watch him at training, watch him in the game.. he's extremely dedicated and wants to succeed. People said the same about Bathie when he came to the club, now he's in line for a 2013 debut. Give the kid some time, he gets 3 yrs as an outside rookie before we need to choose

Came across really well in the interview. Has a few brains. " Doesn't give a s**t" ...don't know where that came from.

Don't forget he is playing VFL. It was a top game in this year's comp. This is a top level comp. Only the very best country footballers could walk in to that game and look OK.

I think this is a very good punt. 50/1 but the cost is very small.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back