Roast Mark Hutchings the new McGinnity

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark Hutchings getting a good wrap on Channel 9's FootyWA show this morning. Noted as a previous depth player stepping up and playing as if he deserves to be in the 22 of a team sitting 2nd.

His skills aren't bad though, he can kick. He's had some major balls ups but in general he's fine.

He can't get any angle on his kicks. Making him easy to intercept on long kicks.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

McGinnity is the new McGinnity, was woeful today. Hutchings had a dip and did some good things.
You have to say that McGinnity had a dip as well. In fact he seemed to be the one chasing and putting pressure on mostly. I thought Priddis reverted to Ploddus a bit as he was in jog mode and made a few relatively unforced clangers but hey, he's been good this year so hopefully a one off.

Hutchings skills in transition are so so average. I just don't rate him beyond depth, wish Duggan wasn't injured.

You have to say that McGinnity had a dip as well. In fact he seemed to be the one chasing and putting pressure on mostly.
Prefers to run past the ball if he can - he's useless. Time and again if he is first to the ball near the boundary he will run past it to hit a bloke rather than try and pick it up and do anything with it.

And it's not really pressure if you're running after someone you're never gonna catch.

This seems about right to me. There are plenty of examples of guys who have taken a while to mature - Priddis and Sheppard are two that spring to mind ...
I am not saying he will definitely become as good as them but who knows? And while our list is injury depleted getting games into blokes like him we might just turn up a gem. With more exposure it may be his confidence or strength or tank or skills may improve significantly. Cripps was possibly in a similar situation last year.
I'd rather see Hutch getting games - with some possible upside - than say Selwood who has had plenty of time to repeat his B&F form. If Hutch doesn't make a big improvement then - as stated - he provides depth.

Good game last night by Hutch. It was the B (or C) graders stepping up that made the difference. And some of these may go on to become A (or solid B) graders. So it is pretty harsh to write guys off after 30 games. (Compare with Selwood and McGinnity - who have had plenty of opportunities to prove themselves.)

We have a good list of solid (and improving) players along with some stars. As the games (and pre-seasons) roll by this group could consistently become pretty amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back