Matador BBQs One Day Cup - 5-25 October 2015

Who will win the Matador BBQs One Day Cup in 2015?

• CA XI

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • NSW

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • QLD

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • SA

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • TAS

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • VIC

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • WA

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie Test regulars should have some kind of camp to prevent the blues from having a massive advantage again.

They were supposed to be on tour in Bangladesh, but it got cancelled for security reasons. Can't really blame CA for that. In the absence of a tour you want your top players out in the middle playing competitive cricket, not cocooned away somewhere at a training camp. I have no problerm with it.

They were supposed to be on tour in Bangladesh, but it got cancelled for security reasons. Can't really blame CA for that. In the absence of a tour you want your top players out in the middle playing competitive cricket, not cocooned away somewhere at a training camp. I have no problerm with it.
Well I guess they do need to stay fit, but this current format has well & truly ruined this comp, hence why it should return to its traditional format & played alongside the Shield season.

As much as it really hurts to say it, congrats to the blues, no other team would've won this comp this year than them.

BUT, CA really need to change this comp next summer, such as the return of the round-robin H/A format, & Aussie Test regulars should have some kind of camp to prevent the blues from having a massive advantage again.
Why should NSW be punished for having/producing the best players?

It should be up to the other states to lift their game if the internationals are available.

Well I guess they do need to stay fit, but this current format has well & truly ruined this comp, hence why it should return to its traditional format & played alongside the Shield season.
Where possible bring some games to the country in that format. That would get some decent crowds.

Definitely needs to return to a home/away format - the 'only play in Sydney' format has been a failure, and had today's final not have featured NSW, you would've had 1-200 people at the final, as per just about every other match in the competition.

The BBL superseding the OD comp as the domestic comp that gets shown on television and attracts crowds 'ruined' the OD comp. It became a distant third in importance and relevance, and a burden to fit into the crowded schedule. Not to mention it was having an increasingly smaller impact on the selection of the ODI team. It's revamp has been a creative solution to something that was stuck in no man's land. It goes back to home and away and played all through the season and none of these games are on TV - and still played in front of small crowds.

Definitely needs to return to a home/away format - the 'only play in Sydney' format has been a failure, and had today's final not have featured NSW, you would've had 1-200 people at the final, as per just about every other match in the competition.

They could rotate it amongst the various states from year to year, or split it into a couple of legs between various locations. It doesn't need to be permanently based in Sydney every year. But I like the format of having it as a stand-alone tournament, on FTA TV and live streaming. I guess NSW just have the best facilities right now regards number of grounds required and training faciltiies.

The BBL superseding the OD comp as the domestic comp that gets shown on television and attracts crowds 'ruined' the OD comp. It became a distant third in importance and relevance, and a burden to fit into the crowded schedule. Not to mention it was having an increasingly smaller impact on the selection of the ODI team. It's revamp has been a creative solution to something that was stuck in no man's land. It goes back to home and away and played all through the season and none of these games are on TV - and still played in front of small crowds.
I totally agree that the BBL has ruined the OD comp, & as mentioned previously, if this comp stays as is, & the final doesn't involve NSW, then it'll look very bad crowd-wise.

I dislike the fact that it's played in one city in a block - it takes away an opportunity for cricket followers in other states the ability to see second tier cricket up close and personal and further entrenches the squad mentality of state cricket and freezes out players in grade / district cricket that may have pushed their way in through strong form.

Having said that I enjoyed watching a full strength NSW side spank the rest - and I'm not a NSWelshman. It hopefully highlighted how much better they are at producing cricketers than any other state and should have other states asking why?

Population is a very small part - spots in the system are earned on performances and they'll always play a kid ahead of a journeyman. Other states should take notice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I would like to see, which would help this tournament fit the schedule better, is for ODIs to open, rather than close, the summer.

Yep, me too. Can't for the life of me understand why we have tests, then one day matches and T20s. To me the T20s are the appertiser, the one day matches the entree and the tests the main course/main event, surely they should be in that order, saving the best til last.

Can't for the life of me understand why we have tests, then one day matches and T20s.
Tons of reasons. ODIs after Christmas is better for D/N matches because the days are longer. More people are off work which is better for attendances at the midweek ODIs. There's less cricket overseas in January than November so it's easier to get a third team in for the tri-series.

Playing five-day matches in Australia is also a lot more pleasant in November/December than January/February. At least playing ODIs you get some respite during the evening session.

NSW really took advantage of the weak SA bowling attack, but full credit to them.

Clearly the best side right throughout the tournament.

It's pretty obvious that he will have a long career in all forms for Australia, but he'll be our version of Gayle/Afridi. Will make us tear our hair out more often than not.
Maddinson is frustrating no doubt and I hope he can get the mental side of this game sorted. Has all the tools, but just needs to learn to pace himself a bit and show a better temperament. He's got some of the quickest footwork of any batsmen I've seen. He is in position very quickly and that's why he can play some of the shots he does... His technique is very very good for an aggressive player, as they are usually a little looser than most, but he plays genuine cricket shots most of the time. But he goes too hard too early a lot of the time.... But yeah he does leave you looking at the skies a lot in frustration. He's only 23 (feels like he's been around for a long long time) so still has time to work on it, but his style of play is obviously ingrained.

Last season he was pretty consistent through the Shield, but no huge scores which kind of indicative of a guy who can get on top of the bowlers but then get himself out. Think Mark Waugh, and formerly Virat Kohli (who has started the way to make big 100's). Mark Waugh has one of the lowest "100+ averages" in tests, while Kohli took till his 8th test century before he passed 120 (has since passed 140 three times). There is no doubt Maddinson will get a run at test cricket at some stage. What will happen is anyone's guess. He could bomb, or he could go on to be one of Australia's greats.

Maddinson is frustrating no doubt and I hope he can get the mental side of this game sorted. Has all the tools, but just needs to learn to pace himself a bit and show a better temperament. He's got some of the quickest footwork of any batsmen I've seen. He is in position very quickly and that's why he can play some of the shots he does... His technique is very very good for an aggressive player, as they are usually a little looser than most, but he plays genuine cricket shots most of the time. But he goes too hard too early a lot of the time.... But yeah he does leave you looking at the skies a lot in frustration. He's only 23 (feels like he's been around for a long long time) so still has time to work on it, but his style of play is obviously ingrained.

Last season he was pretty consistent through the Shield, but no huge scores which kind of indicative of a guy who can get on top of the bowlers but then get himself out. Think Mark Waugh, and formerly Virat Kohli (who has started the way to make big 100's). Mark Waugh has one of the lowest "100+ averages" in tests, while Kohli took till his 8th test century before he passed 120 (has since passed 140 three times). There is no doubt Maddinson will get a run at test cricket at some stage. What will happen is anyone's guess. He could bomb, or he could go on to be one of Australia's greats.

Mark Waugh had some pretty tough words to say about Maddinson last season. Basically said he was little more than a brainless slogger who gifted his wicket away far too cheaply far too often. He clearly still has a fair bit he needs to prove to the selectors.

Yesterday was a classic example. Chasing a modest total on a small ground on a fairly good deck, he belts a quick 40 then gets himself out. A century was there for the taking but he gave it away. Or the game against Victoria where he hit 20 off one over then got out straight after. You don't have to belt every ball into the car park.

He will probably come into the mix for T20s, at least. But I would say Test selection is a way off, unless all of Bancroft, Marsh, Burns and Khawaja fail utterly.

He will probably come into the mix for T20s, at least. But I would say Test selection is a way off, unless all of Bancroft, Marsh, Burns and Khawaja fail utterly.
Gotta remember Maddinson is only 23. Barring a complete loss of form, he'll definitely at least get a crack in the test team at some point over the next 5 years. As said above, what happens when he does is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Back