Matador Cup Match 8 - New South Wales v Victoria - North Sydney Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ODI average of 35 with 2 hundreds/11 fifties and a strike rate of 80. Also has 12 wickets @ 29. Nothing wrong with that for a fringe player.

T20I average of 32 with a SR of 134 and 5 fifties. That's good as well.

There's definitely nothing special about those stats. And almost every time he was actually needed, he was next to useless under genuine pressure.

He actually has proven competent at International level, but don't let the facts get in the way of your argument. :)

So you make a completely subjective statement, and then say it's a fact? Ok, good one - you clearly win if that's the standard of your argument.

Whites limited overs averages and strike rates are very good for Australia

He lost his spot on the account of one poor season

Spare me. He averaged over 37 with the bat in ODIs only four times in a series in his entire career. Which spanned about 90 games over about 7 years IIRC.

ODI average of 35 with 2 hundreds/11 fifties and a strike rate of 80. Also has 12 wickets @ 29.

Lol. You know someone's clutching at straws when they cite White's bowling in ODIs as a reason for picking him again. Take out his combined 6/44 against Scotland and Bangladesh - and he took just 6 wickets in his entire ODI career at an average of over 50, and at a horrible economy rate of 6.67 per over.

Last edited:

There's definitely nothing special about those stats. And almost every time he was actually needed, he was next to useless under genuine pressure.
Would most definitely have to look back over his matches, I find it hard to believe that none of his runs were made under pressure. I could run off a whole list of names, including Jaywardene and Gilchrist, who averaged mid to low 30s. It's pretty decent, especially when coupled with a good SR.
So you make a completely subjective statement, and then say it's a fact? Ok, good one - you clearly win if that's the standard of your argument.
Settle.
Lol. You know someone's clutching at straws when they cite White's bowling in ODIs as a reason for picking him again. Take out his combined 6/44 against Scotland and Bangladesh - and he took just 6 wickets in his entire ODI career at an average of over 50, and at a horrible economy rate of 6.67 per over.
Just quoting the stats, mate. His bowling (but especially his fielding) is a bonus.

I'd love to see you and Ian Dargie go one on one in a thread.

FMD. People are*still* going on about White and Wade? Neither should be anywhere near an international side.
Do you watch domestic cricket? White has been piling on the runs for a couple of seasons and deserves to be in the Australian ODI and T20 teams, and wouldn't be too far down the pecking order for the test team.

Just quoting the stats, mate.

With all due respect, I think that's the problem. Quoting out-of-context stats (like you did with White's ODI bowling) is pretty pointless. In fact, it's worse than that - it's highly misleading.

His bowling (but especially his fielding) is a bonus.

No, his bowling in ODIs is a liability. Sorry, but there's no getting away from that.

As for his fielding, yes, it's very good. But I think I read earlier in this thread (it may have been another one recently) that people were suggesting that Bailey, Clarke and Smith were White's main opponents for a place in the Aus team if he was to ever come back. In that case, worrying about his fielding is basically irrelevant - because all three of those guys are just as good (if not better, in each case) than him in the field.

As for his fielding, yes, it's very good. But I think I read earlier in this thread (it may have been another one recently) that people were suggesting that Bailey, Clarke and Smith were White's main opponents for a place in the Aus team if he was to ever come back. In that case, worrying about his fielding is basically irrelevant - because all three of those guys are just as good (if not better, in each case) than him in the field.
White is better than all three of those players in the slips, where he'd be very useful indeed. The bowling is irrelevant, sure. But his more than solid batting stats aren't. Good player who isn't out of place on the International circuit.

White is better than all three of those players in the slips, where he'd be very useful indeed.

Very debatable that he's better in the slips than any of them individually, let alone categorically "all three". They're three of the very best fieldsmen Australia has produced.

Not to mention that there's very little chance for slips fielding in ODIs and T20 games in any case.

Not to mention that there's very little chance for slips fielding in ODIs and T20 games in any case.
Leads to another interesting debate, because I think slips are hugely underutilised in both ODIs and T20s.

Very debatable that he's better in the slips than any of them individually, let alone categorically "all three". They're three of the very best fieldsmen Australia has produced.

White is a brilliant slip fielder...a great catcher all round. His last 2 domestic one day comps have been outstanding and if he continues to score runs in the Vics remaining games then he has to be in the World Cup squad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with White in the test team- what middle order options are there?

Just as with Hughes (though White's not as talented as Hughes) we can't rule out the blokes putting up the numbers.
That's true. White would probably be the first choice reserve for a middle order spot now though.

And, as interesting as that debate might be, it has nothing to do with what I posted.
Mate, I've said all I need to, White has produced solid numbers with the bat in the format and as long as he continues to do so in the ODDs, he will put his name up for selection. Personally I'd be very happy to have him in the squad for the World Cup.

Just as with Hughes (though White's not as talented as Hughes) we can't rule out the blokes putting up the numbers.
And this is spot on re: his Test chances.

Mate, I've said all I need to, White has produced solid numbers with the bat in the format

Well, at least you've retreated to only talking about his batting now. ;)

But he's well and truly had his chance.

If Aus goes back to the well and selects White, then we're in considerable trouble.

If Aus goes back to the well and selects White, then we're in considerable trouble.
Give me a viable alternative?

...and he's an awesome fielder. ;)
And done pretty well with them.
No. :) tea time, pick up the slack everybody!

You made a complete fool of yourself last season when it came to Bailey and Tasmania.

Surely you're not going to do it to yourself again?
What the hell are you talking about? Bailey is a decent fielder but Maxwell, Warner, Smith, Finch, Clarke and Johnson are all comfortably better in the ODI side at least. When he was in the test team the only weaker fielder was Rogers. White is very easily the best slipper in the country, which is the hardest position to field in IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back