Jun 11, 2008
MORPHETT VALE
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC MAGPIES - NRL DRAGONS
2009_new_power_numbers_0002.jpg

Photo by Morne de Klerk from the Advertiser​

RUGGED Port Adelaide defender Matt Thomas will wear the No. 21 jumper for Port Adelaide this season, inheriting the guernsey from Power legend Michael Wilson, at Wilbur’s request.

Thomas, 21, and Wilson share a similarly fanatical approach at the ball – and a history of overcoming serious injuries. Thomas has played just 17 matches across three seasons since he debuted in 2006, but is already a Power crowd favourite with his fearless approach.

He suffered life-threatening complications from an appendectomy after his eight game debut season, losing 15kg and part of his bowel. After spending much of 2007 recovering, he then missed all but five games last year with foot and ankle injuries.

The good news is that Thomas is fit and firing on the track for 2009. Thomas, who previously wore No. 32, said he had been approached by Wilson himself to wear the guernsey.

More.... http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6038/default.aspx?newsid=71703

2009 PAFC Guernsey Numbers

01 - ?
02 - Josh Carr
03 - Steven Salopek
04 - Daniel Motlop
05 - Brendon Lade
06 - Danyle Pearce
07 - Peter Burgoyne
08 - Shaun Burgoyne
09 - Jacob Surjan
10 - Travis Boak
11 - Marlon Motlop
12 - Jackson Trengove
13 - Mitchell Farmer
14 - Paul Stewart
15 - David Rodan
16 - Warren Tredrea
17 - Robert Gray
18 - Kane Cornes
19 - Nick Salter
20 - Dean Brogan
21 - Matt Thomas
22 - Hamish Hartlett
23 - Matthew Lobbe
24 - Matthew Westhoff
25 - Domenic Cassisi
26 - Nick Lower
27 - Alipate Carlile
28 - Toby Thurstans
29 - Nathan Krakouer
30 - Troy Chaplin
31 - Mitchell Banner
32 - Matthew Broadbent
33 - Brett Ebert
34 - Jarrad Redden
35 - Chad Cornes
36 - Michael Pettigrew
37 - Wade Thompson
38 - Jonathan Giles
39 - Justin Westhoff
40 - Glen Dawson
41 - Jason Davenport
42 - Danny Meyer
43 - Daniel Stewart
44 - Tom Logan
45 - Matthew Martin
46 - Jesse Laurie

Note: New 2009 Power numbers and names in bold.

All the players numbers and stats for 2009 are in the link below.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/Pla...8/default.aspx

21 has been by favourite number since Braddles wore it. Of course, it was plastered on the back of my duffle coat as a kid.

To me stuff like this - passing down numbers of great players to youngsters who share some of their attributes and reserving #1 for the captain - says more about the tradition of the PAFC than '1870' on the back of the guernsey...

Great move. Let's hope Thomas cements his place in the side and carries on the Wilbur tradition. :thumbsu:

Happy to see thomas in the #21, although i do find it amusing that wilbur wore #15 just as long as #21! Maybe 21 has more meaning to him...

If my memory is not too dodgy, Wilbur wore 21 in junior footy (at least for Port Districts). I think that the story was that his father wore that number, so he took it in juniors and it stuck.

That said, my memory could be completely crap after all these years.

Re: Matt Thomas takes Michael Wilson�s No. 21

Happy to see thomas in the #21, although i do find it amusing that wilbur wore #15 just as long as #21! Maybe 21 has more meaning to him...

He wore #15 from 1995-2001 (39 SANFL Games and 98 AFL), then came back after his back to back knee horror in the #21 (94 AFL, 2003-2008).

Re: Matt Thomas takes Michael Wilson�s No. 21

He wore #15 from 1995-2001 (39 SANFL Games and 98 AFL), then came back after his back to back knee horror in the #21 (94 AFL, 2003-2008).

Ah, more detail, didn't know he wore #15 in SANFL pre 1997, i was just going off years in AFL. Nonetheless, still amusing...

Just heard the last 4 or 5 minutes of Matt on 5AA. Obviously interviewed him about getting no. 21 guernsey.

I caught it when they were talking about the tackle he put on Bassett last year. He said we had a wrestling coach last year who said the best way was to pin the arms.

He was asked about the pre season and said "Our weights program has improved out of sight." I know we have read all about it and powerfreak has given us some detailed info but it is heartening to hear that from Matt who unlike our many new players who come to our club, actually had a decent amount of muscle before he got to the club.

He was asked about how we were going to play this year and he said fast and exciting footy. To take everyone on and be hard in and under.

Matt speaks well and seems to have a permanent smile in his voice. Hopefully getting Wilbur's number wont burden him with unnecessary expectations of being a clone of him. People have to remember he was picked up in the PSD and Wilbur probably would have been a top 10 pick if he was in the 1995 draft.

Fantastic decision by Wilbur and the club.

Lets hope "CK" stays fit and has a great year in the number 21.

CK?

Matt speaks well and seems to have a permanent smile in his voice. Hopefully getting Wilbur's number wont burden him with unnecessary expectations of being a clone of him. People have to remember he was picked up in the PSD and Wilbur probably would have been a top 10 pick if he was in the 1995 draft.

^I don't understand how he was in the PSD. From what I've seen of him so far, he seems to be great man on man defensively as well as on the ground, is hard as nails, and has good disposals. I just don't get it...

Certainly is one of my fave players, and is the man that plays the most like wilbur out of everyone on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Wilson was a true Port Adelaide champion. Matt Thomas has a long way to go to try to match that sort of football ability. Lets hope that getting the guensey number from his mentor will spark something special in him.

And take out a few crows in the process... :)

I would much rather see Matt Thomas playing off a half back than a number of others. Should hopefully consolidate himself as a walk up starter in our team this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back