Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit more meat on the bones here

Silvers admits the media circus that formed around crosstown rivals Port Adelaide and their public timeline for Ken Hinkley is something they have learned from.

“I did watch that a little bit from afar (Port’s situation). You don’t want to be pressured by the media narrative,” he told SEN SA.

“What I can say about Nicks is he has done a terrific job for his four years in total. He’s got the respect of our playing group, he’s building a good culture, he’s got good assistants around him and I think he’s doing a really good job.

“We haven’t put a timeline on a contract extension. That’s something we would pick up in the future.”

Dont say you will re-sign your coach if X happens - smart

I think an extension is being worked on and very minimum chips will need to be obtained - and given our draw its a certainty - but if the tracks start to warp then the offer will be pulled

Which ironically can create the media storm the club is trying to avoid

We all know what this means.

Roo and the Board are not convinced Nicks is the man for the job and they plan to see how the first third of the year unfolds. Its a smart decision as Nicks has not earned an extension. I think all clubs should refrain from extensions anyway until the final year of contracts.

A bit more meat on the bones here

Silvers admits the media circus that formed around crosstown rivals Port Adelaide and their public timeline for Ken Hinkley is something they have learned from.

“I did watch that a little bit from afar (Port’s situation). You don’t want to be pressured by the media narrative,” he told SEN SA.

“What I can say about Nicks is he has done a terrific job for his four years in total. He’s got the respect of our playing group, he’s building a good culture, he’s got good assistants around him and I think he’s doing a really good job.

“We haven’t put a timeline on a contract extension. That’s something we would pick up in the future.”

Dont say you will re-sign your coach if X happens - smart

I think an extension is being worked on and very minimum chips will need to be obtained - and given our draw its a certainty - but if the tracks start to warp then the offer will be pulled

Which ironically can create the media storm the club is trying to avoid

The clubs not trying to avoid a media storm. They are just leaving out the behind the scenes expectations from public consumption.

We all know what this means.

Roo and the Board are not convinced Nicks is the man for the job and they plan to see how the first third of the year unfolds. Its a smart decision as Nicks has not earned an extension. I think all clubs should refrain from extensions anyway until the final year of contracts.
Nicks has a done a good job to here, now he needs to prove he has what it takes to move into phase 2, which is making the finals. He's got everything at his disposal to do that, so now he needs to produce to get the extension. And that's how they should be treating it.

Club website says Burns moved into the forwards role and Hombsch now coaches the backline after being promoted from SANFL coaching. Shuffling the deck chairs. Pretty underwhelming imo.
I have no problem with promoting internally after periods of success, when it's clearly demonstrated that we are performing well on and off field

But promotions after a long stretch of no finals looks bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. If expected we finish bottom 6 to 8 how does his record compare to other coaches who have coached 100+ games and have never made finals. There must be some form of top 10 list approaching for him.
Who expects bottom 6 to 8. You and other Pear supporters?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Club website says Burns moved into the forwards role and Hombsch now coaches the backline after being promoted from SANFL coaching. Shuffling the deck chairs. Pretty underwhelming imo.
The fact there's no fanfare on Hombsch ......no presser for Crows fans ....really says a lot

I know he was highly regraded internally, this though is a big big jump up

The fact there's no fanfare on Hombsch ......no presser for Crows fans ....really says a lot

I know he was highly regraded internally, this though is a big big jump up

not really

the coaches and footy dept were away all last week finalising pre-season program and looking at the fixture and impacts on in-season training and rehab demands

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I recall when people where having a whinge about JPod getting an Asst Coaching role at the club, and JPod ended up a really good assistant

Maybe people need to pause and not jump at shadows, let’s see what the guy brings and judge him on how the back defence plays

not really

the coaches and footy dept were away all last week finalising pre-season program and looking at the fixture and impacts on in-season training and rehab demands

PR and on-line team wasn't away though ....do you think it would have been this quiet, if a new Head Coach had just been appointed ?

I recall when people where having a whinge about JPod getting an Asst Coaching role at the club, and JPod ended up a really good assistant

Maybe people need to pause and not jump at shadows, let’s see what the guy brings and judge him on how the back defence plays

I can remember when Ben Hart was made an assistant and people whinging.

Having said that to see what Hombsch brings.

I'm certainly not potting Hombsh .....he does though appear to be a last man standing option, given who we were chasing

That said Rahilly had come from a Development Coaching Role ...and was sacked, when Clubs had to cut back on numbers .....so we never really know from the outside

was JPod a good assistant? Where's he coaching now? His original pkaying contract included a guaranteed coaching deal and after it had concluded, so was his coaching career. What suggests to you he was any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back