Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall when people where having a whinge about JPod getting an Asst Coaching role at the club, and JPod ended up a really good assistant

Maybe people need to pause and not jump at shadows, let’s see what the guy brings and judge him on how the back defence plays

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also, theres an extra +$100k in the coaching salary cap and we just lost a 'highly rated' assistant and have replaced him with an internal SANFL coach and a delistee. So despite increased spending capacity we've clearly gone backwards whilst progression is necessary.

Last edited:
Also, theres an extra +$100k in the coaching salary cap and we just lost a 'highly rated' assistant and have replaced him with an internal SANFL coach and a delistee. We've clearly gone backwards whilst progression is necessary.

Bit early to say we've gone backwards. At least give the guy a chance to earn the coin. If he doesn't succeed and we go nowhere, then sure we can say we've gone backwards.

was JPod a good assistant? Where's he coaching now? His original pkaying contract included a guaranteed coaching deal and after it had concluded, so was his coaching career. What suggests to you he was any good?
I knew James pretty well from his Geelong days. An exemplary human who was highly likeable and a mature sense of "head down, bum up" when it was time to work. I was always pleased he ended up in our coaches box.

That said, you're right that he's disappeared from the major coaching circuit. He did always however, have a secure career pathway after football.

JPod was never a superstar player but an excellent example of perseverance and dedication.

I knew James pretty well from his Geelong days. An exemplary human who was highly likeable and a mature sense of "head down, bum up" when it was time to work. I was always pleased he ended up in our coaches box.

That said, you're right that he's disappeared from the major coaching circuit. He did always however, have a secure career pathway after football.

JPod was never a superstar player but an excellent example of perseverance and dedication.

Bit early to say we've gone backwards. At least give the guy a chance to earn the coin. If he doesn't succeed and we go nowhere, then sure we can say we've gone backwards.

When you replace 'assistant coach of the year' with an L plater and mid 20's delistee, you've gone backwards. If Hombsch had currency he'd have been recruited by another club. So had Rahilly not departed, Hombsch would still be an SANFL/development coach. That's the definition of going backwards.

There's no doubt that our fabled 4 walls don't like to be challenged from the outside.

Funny about that. I was talking to a guy mid-week. In his job he deals with alot of boards and he said the Crows board is one of the worst to deal with. They still think they are running an elite club and are completely out of touch with the precarious position the club now finds itself. He is one-eyed Crows supporter.

When you replace 'assistant coach of the year' with an L plater and mid 20's delistee, you've gone backwards. If Hombsch had currency he'd have been recruited by another club. So had Rahilly not departed, Hombsch would still be an SANFL/development coach. That's the definition of going backwards.
What about Bassett, he would have been the perfect one to replace Rahilly but I have a feeling that Bass is possibly an opinionated type and those personality types don’t fit with the Adelaide Board

JPod deserves a lot of respect for effectively ruling himself out of selection when he knew his time was up and the club would benefit by playing younger guys. Definitely the opposite attitude to our home developed players. And I'm definitely not saying James wasn't a good coach (noting you're not suggesting I did), but there's zero evidence he was and given he negotiated a coaching contract at the conclusion of his playing deal, you'd have to assume he had a serious interest in it.

What about Bassett, he would have been the perfect one to replace Rahilly but I have a feeling that Bass is possibly an opinionated type and those personality types don’t fit with the Adelaide Board

potentially. What's undoubtable is that there's reduced jobs/resources for footy dept spend compared to pre-covid, so same supply but less demand. This should equal greater access to perceived higher end talent. Plus they've just added an extra $100k+ to footy dept cap and yet we have, most certainly, gone with a lesser spend. This makes zero sense, unless we're banking our bikkies on a scaled down cost model in order to assist our borrowing credentials. What concerns me about this, is that we're effectively a public service cultured enterprise, so any cost reductions at our implementation level will be offset by extra 'management' costs outside of our deliverable area. It's just how a bureaucracy operates.

When Nicks gets the ass more than likely at the end of 2023 the new coach will bring their own assistants. Hopefully we havent signed our assistants up on long term deals so we can easily move them on. Nicks, VB and Burns arent taking us to any flags imo. Hopefully Melb take a downturn and Goodwin wants to get out of Melb.

When Nicks gets the ass more than likely at the end of 2023 the new coach will bring their own assistants. Hopefully we havent signed our assistants up on long term deals so we can easily move them on. Nicks, VB and Burns arent taking us to any flags imo. Hopefully Melb take a downturn and Goodwin wants to get out of Melb.
:rolleyes:

Yeah Goodwin would be a great get, just when Nicks and the current admin have righted the ship culture wise and developed a workplace that the interstate lads have bought into big time.

:rolleyes:

Yeah Goodwin would be a great get, just when Nicks and the current admin have righted the ship culture wise and developed a workplace that the interstate lads have bought into big time.
Goodwin was heading for a crushing GF defeat .....if not for a 20 min purple patch, in the 3rd Qtr by Gawn, Oliver and Petracca

It was all due to players .....B4 that moment, and since ....he's done nothing to suggest he's a supercoach

The Grundy call was a shemozzle

Goodwin was heading for a crushing GF defeat .....if not for a 20 min purple patch, in the 3rd Qtr by Gawn, Oliver and Petracca

It was all due to players .....B4 that moment, and since ....he's done nothing to suggest he's a supercoach

The Grundy call was a shemozzle
He won 20 games that season, more than any coach has done for the Crows in their history

He's also had three seasons in a row winning at least 16 games which again we have never done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He won 20 games that season, more than any coach has done for the Crows in their history

He's also had three seasons in a row winning at least 16 games which again we have never done
When we have an Oliver, Petracca, and Gawn, in our midfield .....it won't matter who's Coach

1700378467105.png

When we have an Oliver, Petracca, and Gawn, in our midfield .....it won't matter who's Coach

View attachment 1855964
We had McLeod, Ricciuto, Goodwin, Edwards and Thompson in our 2005 era midfield and walked away with a worse winning record and no flags under Neil Craig

It doesn't just happen

Nicks definitely doesn’t have the ruthlessness required to win a flag, he’d choose to not win playing Sloane ahead of winning one without without him. He’s the worst kind of coach imaginable. But where the assistants lob is unknown.

Nicks definitely doesn’t have the ruthlessness required to win a flag, he’d choose to not win playing Sloane ahead of winning one without without him. He’s the worst kind of coach imaginable. But where the assistants lob is unknown.
The fish rots at the head. Until we can get rid of the board it's pretty much irrelevant who is coaching.

Honestly, how is it possible that posters prefer our nothing coach ahead of Goodwin?
You really underestimated what Nicks has done, he has over seen our biggest entire list rebuild in our history and arguably we've land on the other side with quality interstate young players re-sign very long term contract and then attracting quality players like Dawson and Rankine in the last few years and strong rumour Petty wanted to join us this year. Had he stuffed this up we would have been in a worst position than North Melbourne right now.......

Hasn’t our board changed completely over the last 10-12 years? Roo came in 2013 - he would be the longest serving?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s a self appointed board, only the aligned are recruited. Surely you’re not that stupid that you’d think self appointing replacements changes anything, especially culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back