News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Link to interview with Simpson by AFL journo Nathan Schmook that was done about 3 weeks ago but only uploaded now. It the formed the basis of a couple of written articles that have been posted previously

This goes for 25 minutes so goes into more detail and is pretty wide ranging

Interesting listen especially the bit about Dark Sharks having the attention span of a goldfish

The 'The Tim Kelly Trade' thing is such a lazy short hand for the clusterfck we've found ourselves in, and it's ridiculously unfair to make him synonymous with the current situation.

Fitness, list management, entitlement, lack of forward planning, bad luck, stubbornness and laziness got us to this point - not Tim Kelly.

Tough luck that it didn't pan out for him - that's life - but he's delivered and then some since he's arrived.

And I'm optimistic but I reckon we'll be in contention before he hangs up the boots, maybe even jag one.
I remember when we recruited him, Simmo said he wasn’t being recruited just for the now but for the longer term. Upon reflection it seems that they probably knew there was only one/maybe two pushes at a flag left with the squad and a gaping hole of talent in a certain age bracket.

That old classic Rasputin by Boney M would be a pisser.
Get the crowd to be the back up singers responding to the vocalist.
Mate half the local crowds still can't get the clapping to the Addams Family right.

West Coast Eagles fans vent their frustration after ‘sloppy’ pre-season loss suggests another tough season​

Frustrated West Coast supporters have unleashed after an underwhelming first showing in their pre-season friendly against Fremantle, with some even saying their optimism for the year has already been “crushed.”

The Eagles were thumped by 52-points in Saturday night’s match simulation, losing ruckman Matt Flynn to injury before the match even started, while young gun Reuben Ginbey went into concussion protocols and defender Brady Hough appeared to injure his foot.
While the likes of veteran Elliot Yeo and last year’s club champion Tim Kelly impressed — and fans got a glimpse of what’s to come from teenage No.1 draft pick Harley Reid — the Eagles were overrun by their cross-town rivals, with defensive half turnovers costly for the side.

The historically successful club is rebuilding after a horror three years, which saw them claim the wooden spoon last season after just three wins, losing five games by more than 100-points.
And while some diehard fans encouraged others to “remain calm” and reminded them that it was just a pre-season friendly, other fans took to online to voice their fury.

The club’s main supporter group — the West Coast Eagles for Life Facebook page — was flooded with furious supporters after the match.
“I know it’s a pre-season game but the team is still looking quite sloppy giving away easy turnovers,” fan Will Tomlinson wrote.
“They still need to improve massively if they have any chance of winning more than (three) games this season.”
Ricky James Kilkenny wrote: “Unfit again! No running or chasing easy turn overs etc. Scratch match or not this is what we’ll see all year again!”
“Defence is shambolic. So many slack passes and lost 1 on 1s. It’s going to be a tough season,” Russ Tyrone said.

c72034d7266dd62b693c6f800a9d4e3da43187b9.jpg

“Still no run back to help, looking the same as last year,” Val Steenholdt wrote.
Vasco Pyjama said: “We look terrible still slow, really bad ball movement, no one knows their position , kicking into nowhere and no structure. I know it’s only a scratch match but it is so disappointing as we had so much expectation. 25-year member and will never stop my support.”

Supporter pages on X (formerly Twitter) were particularly scathing of the team, including Eagle Talk, which criticised them for their poor contested ball work, defence around stoppages, skills and fitness.

“Our fitness is alarming,” they wrote. “Massive difference between the (two) sides. Freo look fresh, Eagles players were cramping up everywhere.”

f857d55875bc84e232e9060c901bacf8901fee29.jpg

The Nuffington Post wrote on their X page: “If we play like this to start the season I can’t see (coach Adam) Simpson lasting long.”
Other supporters said they weren’t worried and that the club could still turn things around.
Corey Woods wrote: “It’s literally a scratch match, give it time.”
“It’s just a scratch match,” said Roslyn Machin.
The Eagles will head to Adelaide for the AFL pre-season community fixture against the Crows on Saturday.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Nuffington Post you get a mention!

Quoting social media posts is scraping the barrel level journalism

The lowest of low hanging fruit

Yep, being a 'journos' job seems to be the easiest thing these days. Grab a couple CLEARLY LEVELHEADED Tweets or posts off the Facebook page and do a few paragraphs on it. Easy as.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine just reading FB and Twitter comments, and THAT's the main body of your newspaper article. Geez Louize.

I'm in the wrong profession.
Half of the stuff on news.com is literally this, and it’s not limited to sports. And the people just read the headline as if it’s actual news and then rage over it.

eg some rando tweets that they reckon something is racist, journo turns it into an entire article with clickbait headline, punters then lose their s**t, sharing the article as proof of cancel culture taking over society. Etc

Half of the stuff on news.com is literally this, and it’s not limited to sports. And the people just read the headline as if it’s actual news and then rage over it.

eg some rando tweets that they reckon something is racist, journo turns it into an entire article with clickbait headline, punters then lose their s**t, sharing the article as proof of cancel culture taking over society. Etc
get a click or sell a paper, job is done. BF the saviour of the free thinking world.

Barb White: "Game plan looked a bit stale, i didn't see any major difference to how we played tbh......."

FANS LOSE IT OVER SIMPSONS GAME STYLE
WCE BOARD IN CRISIS TALKS AS SUPPORTERS LOOK FOR ANSWERS
Fans CONDEMN practice match as “absolute trash tonight and you all know it” amid calls to sack Woosha

No wonder they're worried about losing their jobs to AI.

Garbage article - but i guess it gets to the fact that yeah it was just a scratch match and take it with a grain of salt, but it's concerning because we were rubbish, got flogged and didn't look like we've addressed the issues that plagued us last year.

Im over Foxsports.

Went to see if anything about the game. Headline. Eagles #1 pick injured?

Close up photo of Harley grabing his upper leg in pain.........he was cramping up late in the game. :(

The photo zoomed in looked like Harley had a croc ripping off his foot.:drunk:

Just imagine how bad The West is going to be when we start losing the real games.

FMD.
Good news just doesn’t sell.

Pitchforks will be out after round 3 when if you look at the first 3 sides we play, we’d be lucky to win 1

Good news just doesn’t sell.

Pitchforks will be out after round 3 when if you look at the first 3 sides we play, we’d be lucky to win 1
I dunno, today they reported the ‘good news for the Eagles’ that Luke Parker had broken his arm and would not be available to play against us. And it was a double helping of good news because Callum Mills is also injured.

Last edited:
Oscar Allen has tipped Noah Long as a young teammate as a future captain.

All of Oscar's answers from yesterdays captains day are below:

20th team?
Oscar Allen: Get another team in WA. That’s be nice. Down south, Dunsborough or Margaret River – it’s a beautiful part of the world so somewhere down there.

Premiership Fav?
Oscar Allen: Brisbane

21 day break for concussion?
Oscar Allen: Topical question, I think the research the AFL has done behind it has been really solid so I’m backing in what they’re doing for the moment.

Brownlow?
Oscar Allen: Errol Gulden

Rising Star?
Oscar Allen: Harley (Reid). Harley will win the Rising Star.

Which teammate is a lock for Supercoach?
Oscar Allen: Harley Reid. Cheap as chips rookie, and he is a good player. I think Jayden Hunt and Alex Witherden as well, they’ve been taking some kick-outs in pre-season – I know that is something all SuperCoach fans like to hear.

Sub or five on bench?
Oscar Allen: I like the idea of a substitute, so it can be tactical.

Which young teammate is a future captain?
Oscar Allen: Noah Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Back