News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Oscar Allen has tipped Noah Long as a young teammate as a future captain.

All of Oscar's answers from yesterdays captains day are below:

20th team?
Oscar Allen: Get another team in WA. That’s be nice. Down south, Dunsborough or Margaret River – it’s a beautiful part of the world so somewhere down there.

Premiership Fav?
Oscar Allen: Brisbane

21 day break for concussion?
Oscar Allen: Topical question, I think the research the AFL has done behind it has been really solid so I’m backing in what they’re doing for the moment.

Brownlow?
Oscar Allen: Errol Gulden

Rising Star?
Oscar Allen: Harley (Reid). Harley will win the Rising Star.

Which teammate is a lock for Supercoach?
Oscar Allen: Harley Reid. Cheap as chips rookie, and he is a good player. I think Jayden Hunt and Alex Witherden as well, they’ve been taking some kick-outs in pre-season – I know that is something all SuperCoach fans like to hear.

Sub or five on bench?
Oscar Allen: I like the idea of a substitute, so it can be tactical.

Which young teammate is a future captain?
Oscar Allen: Noah Long

Lost all respect for him with his sub answer. Return to 4 or die

Full article

West Coast champion Peter Sumich has quit his weekly newspaper column after they refused to publish an article criticising boom recruit Harley Reid.
Sumich has been writing for the West Australian for 18 months with the paper promoting him as not holding back and offering an “insightful, no-holds-barred perspective” on all footy matters.

It turns out the two-time premiership spearhead went too hard on the Eagles new golden boy who has been the newspaper’s obsession since he arrived in Perth in December.

“I’m not writing for the West anymore,” Sumich told Media Street.

“I had a bit of a run-in with them. I wanted to put this article in and they reckon I was too harsh.

“It was on Harley Reid, I gave the kid a pump-up and said he is going to be a good player but everyone is carrying on like he’s going to be Chris Judd.

“I put down, he is no Chris Judd. I was there when Chris Judd was there and what I saw of Chris Judd in his first two or three years, this kid doesn’t even compare to Chris Judd so I don’t know why people are carrying on.

“The kid is going to be a good player, don’t get me wrong, but you are no Chris Judd mate.”

Sumich revealed part of the article focussed on Reid’s body saying he used the term “puppy fat” when describing the No.1 draft pick’s conditioning.

“I said he has got a little bit of puppy fat and he needs to tidy up this and that but that was it,” he said. “Other than that I pumped the kid up, there wasn’t anything disastrous or bad.”

The former Eagles assistant coach said the hype around Reid was over the top.

“He has been here since December or so, let’s say 50 days and I reckon he has been in the paper for 40 of those 50 days.

“And on the back page probably 20 of them . . . seriously c’mon where is WA football going? It’s not a good sign.”

Sumich, who kicked a club record 514 goals from 150 games with the Eagles from 1989-1997, said he feared for his old side’s fortunes in 2024.

“I love the club and I want them to do well but at the moment it is really a basket-case and there is no light at the end of the tunnel on what I saw on Saturday night (against Fremantle),” he said.

“If anyone can tell me any different, well, please. Fremantle are going to be OK, I don’t think they are a top six side yet they put West Coast to the sword without even trying.”

Full article
Whilst I agree with the points regarding the West's obsession with Reid, did he clearly pay no attention tot he rotations in the match sim when he says Freo 'put WCE to the sword without even trying'?

I'd expect someone who had senior coaching ambitions could've at least noticed that, for starters.

Whilst I agree with the points regarding the West's obsession with Reid, did he clearly pay no attention tot he rotations in the match sim when he says Freo 'put WCE to the sword without even trying'?

I'd expect someone who had senior coaching ambitions could've at least noticed that, for starters.
He's from the Garry Lyon school of football media; watch f-all games, hold grudges and spew negativity.

He was also critical of all the media attention and the West having so many articles on Harley when he hasn't done anything yet and decided to deal with it by... another meaningless article on Harley before he has done anything...
Quite possibly to do with the fact he reckons Reid has 'Puppy fat' when the AFL has banned skin-folds and player weights made public.

Harley has been in the Paper too much so I need to write an article about Harley so they stop writing articles about Harley.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Surprised The West didn't want to run the article. Would have blown up the click'o'meter. Maybe Pyke has popped in with an olive branch.

Ch7 have had access to a few players for interviews already this preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised The West didn't want to run the article. Would have blown up the click'o'meter. Maybe Pyke has popped in with an olive branch.

Ch7 have had access to a few players for interviews already this preseason.
Pretty sure afl don't want body fat to be discussed. Likely west playing by thier rules.

Pretty sure afl don't want body fat to be discussed. Likely west playing by thier rules.

I'm not sure that leads to an article being shelved and an employee leaving. That line could have been edited out.

Suspect it might have more to do with Rhino conducting a televised interview with Reid and the juxtaposition of those two pieces of media being run by one organisation concurrently.

7West would have much preferred to run the positive TV interview over the low hanging print media fruit, but they haven't had access to the players since Covid, which meant an all out attack on the club via print media was their only option to generate income using West Coast for content.

Ambition but not ability

Sometimes editors may also can an article because it’s just tripe. Based on what it sounds like, it probably was.

Could genuinely get a 13 year old to write an article which would follow the same lines.

Could have been an editor just doing their job for us.

Sometimes editors may also can an article because it’s just tripe. Based on what it sounds like, it probably was.

Could genuinely get a 13 year old to write an article which would follow the same lines.

Could have been an editor just doing their job for us.

Most of Sumas articles have been tripe, though, and quite possibly written by AI. They still got published because in the end it got people clicking and talking and raging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back