Autopsy Melbourne board feedback thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Heated discussion on Jimmy Toumpas - posts disappear
More heated discussion in match day threads - kosher

I'm not making some X Files conspiracy post, just pointing it out. Someone taking the time to detail the many ways a player is useless in the cold light of day is more informative and worth reading than banging into the keyboard what a useless ******* campaigner they are in the heat of the moment.

Anyway, moving on for me. Stop quoting my posts you dishlickers.

Heated discussion in completely irrelevant threads.

You post that in the right thread and it's still there - some posters have made it hard work for us recently, I'm sure you'll take the liberty of dissecting Toumpas game again at some stage.

Hopefully this time in the Toumpas thread or a review thread.

Heated discussion on Jimmy Toumpas - posts disappear
More heated discussion in match day threads - kosher

I'm not making some X Files conspiracy post, just pointing it out. Someone taking the time to detail the many ways a player is useless in the cold light of day is more informative and worth reading than banging into the keyboard what a useless ******* campaigner they are in the heat of the moment.

Anyway, moving on for me. Stop quoting my posts you dishlickers.
Ok I'll stop quoting them...... After this.

I agree with the bolded & that is why if things go too far of derail the thread we need to remove that content. I'm all for having a crack at players & I can say for sure that I'm no Watts or Toumpas lover as has been insinuated. I have potted them at times & perhaps been irrationally critical. I am however someone who hopes they can be part of a MFC premiership side. If not, time for them to move on.

Anyway, almost football time. This might be a fun thread at 11pm Saturday night if we get flogged.

I'm not sure how much gets removed, or whether it is on the increase, but I think one of the problems is that Internet forums take their character from the people that contribute - which makes them a bit undisciplined from time to time but surely in some way reflects what the contributors actually want. When it starts to feel like content is judged and altered in a big way, it sort of loses its own essential self along the way.

I just read the above - I did have something coherent to say there but I'm not totally sure it came off.

I dont see a whole heap wrong with a bit of off topic banter in a thread. Surely its not that bad?

I have a lot of people on here that i consider mates, well internet mates, as I've never met them, so long as there is nobody picking on any poster/personal harassment i hardly see the issue with a bit of off topic fun between 'internet mates' ever now and then.

Is it really that hard to scroll down past it? Index finger pain must be excruciating for some.

Not at all mate.

The problem is where threads go haywire for the majority of a couple of pages.

I dont see a whole heap wrong with a bit of off topic banter in a thread. Surely its not that bad?

I have a lot of people on here that i consider mates, well internet mates, as I've never met them, so long as there is nobody picking on any poster/personal harassment i hardly see the issue with a bit of off topic fun between 'internet mates' ever now and then.

Is it really that hard to scroll down past it? Index finger pain must be excruciating for some.
Agreed, but recently it has become the norm not the exception.

I'm the first to admit I at time can't help going off topic for the sake of humour, but we need it to be the exception not the rule. Plently of place to discuss anything at all like the stickied 'random chat' thread.

I'm not sure how much gets removed, or whether it is on the increase, but I think one of the problems is that Internet forums take their character from the people that contribute - which makes them a bit undisciplined from time to time but surely in some way reflects what the contributors actually want. When it starts to feel like content is judged and altered in a big way, it sort of loses its own essential self along the way.

I just read the above - I did have something coherent to say there but I'm not totally sure it came off.

Fair, but when it's a minority contributing certain characterstics strongly I don't believe that applies.

Fair, but when it's a minority contributing certain characterstics strongly I don't believe that applies.
Yeah, okay. Like I said I don't know enough of what gets removed or why. I'm mostly too scared to do anything but hover over the draft thread because my knowledge of up and coming players could be contained on a pin head.

I do like the idea of a general thread called misc or something where the extended, wonky diversions could be removed to a nice, padded environment. Actually, the padded cell for demons who went bad is appealing. It would be entertaining to see who gets dragged to the naughty corner too. I don't think the victims would mind

Yeah, okay. Like I said I don't know enough of what gets removed or why. I'm mostly too scared to do anything but hover over the draft thread because my knowledge of up and coming players could be contained on a pin head.

I do like the idea of a general thread called misc or something where the extended, wonky diversions could be removed to a nice, padded environment. Actually, the padded cell for demons who went bad is appealing. It would be entertaining to see who gets dragged to the naughty corner too. I don't think the victims would mind

That isn't a bad idea.

Feel free to contribute to the draft thread, we don't care about people's percieved knowledge or lack of it.

All we care is that they generally keep to the theme of the thread.

We're all for for banter and light-hearted humor, just not at the expense of derailing multiple threads at once (which had been happening).

Ok I'll stop quoting them...... After this.

I agree with the bolded & that is why if things go too far of derail the thread we need to remove that content. I'm all for having a crack at players & I can say for sure that I'm no Watts or Toumpas lover as has been insinuated. I have potted them at times & perhaps been irrationally critical. I am however someone who hopes they can be part of a MFC premiership side. If not, time for them to move on.

Anyway, almost football time. This might be a fun thread at 11pm Saturday night if we get flogged.
At risk of derailing, I needed to point out that you used the phrase "MFC Premiership side" on game day.

As you say - almost football time. Cheers

I know I'm not admin but as this is the feedback thread I'll say that I don't really like this idea. Other club boards do it and I think it unnecessarily clutters the board up. I'd also suggest it will make your jobs harder as mods, just because the discussions will be more thinly spread and it'll be harder to get across everything. Come to think of it this goes the same for readers of these topics as well.

It's a shame that the change rooms aren't really used but I think what needs to be said about players either gets said in the GBU/changes threads, or their own mainboard thread if it really warrants it.

:footy:

You've raised a valid concern d33my and you're not the only one with this view. It's just an idea at this stage.

A lot of players have dedicated main board threads anyway (because they're so popular) so I doubt that it will be that drastic a move, we'd simply be moving the rest over, doing some merges etc but it still could change the look of the board and we want it to be as user friendly as possible for you guys.

I know I'm not admin but as this is the feedback thread I'll say that I don't really like this idea. Other club boards do it and I think it unnecessarily clutters the board up. I'd also suggest it will make your jobs harder as mods, just because the discussions will be more thinly spread and it'll be harder to get across everything. Come to think of it this goes the same for readers of these topics as well.

It's a shame that the change rooms aren't really used but I think what needs to be said about players either gets said in the GBU/changes threads, or their own mainboard thread if it really warrants it.

:footy:
Re: individual player threads, we may not go as far as having one for every player, because half the list doesn't warrant discussion most of the time. As you say, too many player threads could get messy.

However, we do already have threads on 8-10 players which get frequent use... this is where the new setup would come in, because the same players have threads in the Change Rooms which have been gathering dust for years.

The mods here are aware of my thoughts. However, FWIW:
  1. I feel that for mine there is waaaay too much bashing of our own players on here at times. Not even Collingwood/Carlton supporters bag their own team as much. I understand the frustrations over where we have been for many, many years, but continuously bagging the crap out of players all over the board is not constructive. Take Jack Watts as a prime example. There is a thread dedicated to him. Therefore, there's no reason to derail other threads bagging him out as well.
  2. I feel that there are too many instances where a poster is attacked personally or bagged incessantly or rudely simply for stating his/her opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion - the world would be a very boring place if we all agreed. Rather than attacking someone for their thoughts, it would be a lot nicer if people argued against the opinion rather than attacking the poster for having said opinion.
  3. While there are a lot of good posters here, there's a bit of immaturity that creeps in to threads at time and I find that off-putting. With all due respect intended, sometimes it can feel like the school yard at lunch time, with references to human anatomy and the like.
At the end of the day, we are all united by the club we love and I think everyone here shares a common dream. We should be united against the other 17 clubs rather than fighting amongst each other. IMO the way to attract people to the board is to make the board more friendly and inviting to people who are like minded, rather than functioning within an enclosed circle. If people treated the board/other posters more like they would a colleague within a work environment rather than a mate down the pub on a Friday night, I think there would be a drastic shift in attitudes and the willingness of people to get more involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having said that, we are considering ways we can better structure the board so that player specific discussion is in the right place. The 'Change Rooms' is not used to great effect and we want to accommodate all posters with player specific discussion. One consideration is moving all player threads in the 'Change Rooms' to the main board. We will get some input from Admin on this.
Moving the player threads from the main board to the change rooms with 30 day redirects may be a better option?? Would make it easier to find content and leave the main board a lot less cluttered. I think people just need to be prompted/reminded that player threads belong there and not on the main board.

The mods here are aware of my thoughts. However, FWIW:
  1. I feel that for mine there is waaaay too much bashing of our own players on here at times. Not even Collingwood/Carlton supporters bag their own team as much. I understand the frustrations over where we have been for many, many years, but continuously bagging the crap out of players all over the board is not constructive. Take Jack Watts as a prime example. There is a thread dedicated to him. Therefore, there's no reason to derail other threads bagging him out as well.
  2. I feel that there are too many instances where a poster is attacked personally or bagged incessantly or rudely simply for stating his/her opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion - the world would be a very boring place if we all agreed. Rather than attacking someone for their thoughts, it would be a lot nicer if people argued against the opinion rather than attacking the poster for having said opinion.
  3. While there are a lot of good posters here, there's a bit of immaturity that creeps in to threads at time and I find that off-putting. With all due respect intended, sometimes it can feel like the school yard at lunch time, with references to human anatomy and the like.
At the end of the day, we are all united by the club we love and I think everyone here shares a common dream. We should be united against the other 17 clubs rather than fighting amongst each other. IMO the way to attract people to the board is to make the board more friendly and inviting to people who are like minded, rather than functioning within an enclosed circle. If people treated the board/other posters more like they would a colleague within a work environment rather than a mate down the pub on a Friday night, I think there would be a drastic shift in attitudes and the willingness of people to get more involved.
I mostly agree with Jiska and will be pretty much reiterating what he has said. I really don't have much to give as the board tends to operate rather smoothly

However i have noticed there has been a fair bit of conflict between posters recently on some topics, and some things seemed to have gotten rather personal at times.

Also like Jiska the recent immature posts are quite off putting, i can somewhat tolerate them but preferably i dislike them. No offence to posters but they remind me of conversations you'd over hear in high school at times, i'd like to think that this board is beyond that

Is there a reason for needing every single post on a player in a single thread for bandwidth reasons or something?

It makes the forum feel overly regimented and less friendly having to post X in X thread and Y in Y.

Is there a reason for needing every single post on a player in a single thread for bandwidth reasons or something?

It makes the forum feel overly regimented and less friendly having to post X in X thread and Y in Y.

It's more so for the rubbish posts, makes the job easier for us - we arent going to remove the occasional off topic post.

But recently theres been too much.

It's more so for the rubbish posts, makes the job easier for us - we arent going to remove the occasional off topic post.

But recently theres been too much.
Yeh understand the rubbish off topic posts going too far etc (GUILTY :oops:) but having separate discussion threads on each individual player merged into one seems a bit over the top.

Yeh understand the rubbish off topic posts going too far etc (GUILTY :oops:) but having separate discussion threads on each individual player merged into one seems a bit over the top.

Most other boards on BF operate like that - we're simply taking some tips from them.

Feel like this place got an awful lot more precious when more popular players started getting bagged.

Our problem is not with bagging.

Some of the personal criticism of players and posters defending players needed to be toned down.

Can't see a reason to delete posts unless:

1. Racism, sexism, homophobia etc
  2. Abuse towards other BF members
  3. Spamming

We need to have fun or else what is the point of coming here? I get warnings from main board mods on the reg, all I do is post memes etc. This place is soft sometimes. What's the redit AFL board like? Are they more liberal there?

Feel like this place got an awful lot more precious when more popular players started getting bagged.
On this board opinion is sacrosanct. That will never change.

Purely as posters Crimson Azure Captain Jack ThePuppetMaster and I all have had varying opinions on players and other football issues e.g. So far this year we've had our disagreements on certain players and coaching aspects but they've been expressed respectfully and that is the key.

As mods however we have the same opinion that the extent and manner in which a lot of opinion of late has been expressed has been poor. Regardless of our individual tolerances for this as posters, as mods we see the need to act.

Voicing your opinion is one thing but spamming your opinion, hounding down others who disagree with you, tagging posters simply to be smart and taking threads off topic is not on. By "off topic" we don't mean light digression we mean blatantly going off on tangents or whole new conversations in proper discussion threads.

It is also tiresome and has clearly deterred quite a lot of posters lately.

Players are fair game but incessant bagging of players for the sake of it goes beyond simply expressing an opinion, it has become a national sport and popularity contest.

It is an Admin expectation that all board mods address this sort of stuff especially when concerns are raised.

Posters make the board and we're an online community with great posters. We need to remember though that the board belongs to all of us, not some of us and quite a lot of people read this board even if they don't post so it isn't such a big ask to have basic standards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back